Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PC being built by someone else, advice and suggestions on gpu mainly but also cpu mobo etc

Tags:
  • GPUs
  • CPUs
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
July 15, 2013 2:00:00 AM

Hey there guys this is my first post here but i feel like its the best place to ask questions
i have been doing a bit of reasearch over the past week and i usualy find myself being linked to this site where i have found very valuable information!!

So here goes.

first off i would just to list the build that i have chosen so far. i am paying it off over a 6 week period so the option to change components is still available and id like to know if this sounds like something worth buying and, will it last for a while/give me the option to upgrade in the future without too much hassle.

im planning on WIN764bit and still tossing up between home premium with a max of 16gb or professional to give me full ram capabilities (do i really need more then 16gb ram for an average home/gaming pc??)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/products/product-page.aspx?pi...

CPU: i5 4670 3.4GHz 6MB LGA1150 (from what i understand i can only overclock if i get a k series, but is there really any need for overclocking?)

Ram: 16gb Kingston (do i need this much or should i just use 8gb and put funds somewhere else)

HDD: 2tb Seagate sata3

Case: Coolermaster k280

PSU: Acbel 550w 600w Max

i am also thinking of getting a coolermaster evo 212 as it was recommended on one of the threads here

Here comes my other main question.

what should i do for a gpu

currently it is to come with a Sapphire HD7770 GHZ EDITION 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E Video card , 128Bit ,1000MHz / 1125MHz

however while chatting with someone last night they brought up the fact the the ati 7000 series has an underlying problem that causes many issues with the cards including crashing, artifacts and pink/grey screens, and there is no real pattern they just work fine and then fail. a little bit of research has proved that many people have had this problem, there was even a thread on this forum about it

personally in my average gaming experience i have always preferred nvidia cards (not that iv had the option to test a whole lot of whats avaiable out there)but this time i was gonna give ati a try

if i look within the current price range of hd7770 i don' t really have a whole lot of options on the other side of the fence.

*Gigabyte GF GTX 650 OC EDITION DDR5
*EVGA GeForce GTX650 1GB
*ASUS GTX650-DC-1GD5 PCIE
*ASUS GT630-2GD3 PCIE

OR

i could just use the integrated 4600 (will it be any good for gaming at all say, counterstrike source) and save up a bit extra for something like

*GTX660 OC 2gb DDR5 Factory Overclocked Graphics Card (with metro last night)
*EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC version 2GB 192bit GDDR5
*Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti OC 2GB
*Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB

Sorry guys i know this is a mammoth post,

but thanks in advance for all your advice!!

Liam

More about : built advice suggestions gpu cpu mobo

July 15, 2013 2:18:08 AM

no need for aftermarket cpu cooler if you're not overclocking, 16gb is too much, get 2x4 instead, does the 660 fit in the budget now?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2013 2:27:13 AM

First off did you already buy it? Second if you didn't buy it yet what is your price range? If you aren't overclocking then you really don't need the CM hyper 212 (Only necessary when OC your CPU).

I would get a new PSU. Corsair, seasonic at least rated bronze 80.
I'd change the case to a cooler master HAF 912, 922, X etc..
As for the MB - MSI Z87-G41

As for the GPU it's not the worst thing to have but.. it won't be playing any games on high. Your integrated GPU will be very bad. Short answer no to CS without having really low FPS. I'd take the 7770 if that's all you can afford now and save up.

Overclocking is more of a neat thing to tinker around with and really boost up your CPU. I'd pay the extra 20 bucks for it time and time again.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 15, 2013 2:28:53 AM

Rhavi Marques said:
no need for aftermarket cpu cooler if you're not overclocking, 16gb is too much, get 2x4 instead, does the 660 fit in the budget now?


actually the aftermarket cooler was outside of budget but its only 50bux, and i wouldnt think that downgrading to 8gb will change much in the way of total price

can you briefly explain why i dont need 16gb of ram, i was always under the impression that more is better
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 2:33:04 AM

Liam Joyce said:
Rhavi Marques said:
no need for aftermarket cpu cooler if you're not overclocking, 16gb is too much, get 2x4 instead, does the 660 fit in the budget now?


actually the aftermarket cooler was outside of budget but its only 50bux, and i wouldnt think that downgrading to 8gb will change much in the way of total price

can you briefly explain why i dont need 16gb of ram, i was always under the impression that more is better



faster is better, not more, RAM is where the active programs are stored, for gaming, the biggest and most demanding games out there would rarely use more then 6gbs of RAM. so unless you're into video editing or rendering, more then 8 is overkill.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2013 2:33:48 AM

Very little software use the full 16gb of ram. No games right now use that much. What speed is the RAM by the way? 1600? I wouldn't get any RAM faster than 1600 for gaming it'd be a waste of money.
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 2:35:36 AM

fnatic said:
First off did you already buy it? Second if you didn't buy it yet what is your price range? If you aren't overclocking then you really don't need the CM hyper 212 (Only necessary when OC your CPU).

I would get a new PSU. Corsair, seasonic at least rated bronze 80.
I'd change the case to a cooler master HAF 912, 922, X etc..
As for the MB - MSI Z87-G41

As for the GPU it's not the worst thing to have but.. it won't be playing any games on high. Your integrated GPU will be very bad. Short answer no to CS without having really low FPS. I'd take the 7770 if that's all you can afford now and save up.

Overclocking is more of a neat thing to tinker around with and really boost up your CPU. I'd pay the extra 20 bucks for it time and time again.



no i havent bought it, i still have the option to change everything, its costing me about 1200 NZD, i wouldnt really want to go any higher then that at this point

im kinda limited to whatever this perosn is selling so changing the mobo would be a bit rude i think? lol anythign better is going to cost me more as well

im not really looking to chnage the mobo/cpu side of things just wondering if its a good choice

currently i am using an asus 512mb 9500gt .. haha so im assuming that most things will give me a better experience then this although i get about 60fps in css
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 2:39:50 AM

Liam Joyce said:
fnatic said:
First off did you already buy it? Second if you didn't buy it yet what is your price range? If you aren't overclocking then you really don't need the CM hyper 212 (Only necessary when OC your CPU).

I would get a new PSU. Corsair, seasonic at least rated bronze 80.
I'd change the case to a cooler master HAF 912, 922, X etc..
As for the MB - MSI Z87-G41

As for the GPU it's not the worst thing to have but.. it won't be playing any games on high. Your integrated GPU will be very bad. Short answer no to CS without having really low FPS. I'd take the 7770 if that's all you can afford now and save up.

Overclocking is more of a neat thing to tinker around with and really boost up your CPU. I'd pay the extra 20 bucks for it time and time again.



no i havent bought it, i still have the option to change everything, its costing me about 1200 NZD, i wouldnt really want to go any higher then that at this point

im kinda limited to whatever this perosn is selling so changing the mobo would be a bit rude i think? lol anythign better is going to cost me more as well

im not really looking to chnage the mobo/cpu side of things just wondering if its a good choice

currently i am using an asus 512mb 9500gt .. haha so im assuming that most things will give me a better experience then this although i get about 60fps in css




if you're really into the budget thing, get an FX instead of the i5, intel isnt price friendly.

m
0
l
July 15, 2013 2:49:43 AM

Rhavi Marques said:
Liam Joyce said:
Rhavi Marques said:
no need for aftermarket cpu cooler if you're not overclocking, 16gb is too much, get 2x4 instead, does the 660 fit in the budget now?


actually the aftermarket cooler was outside of budget but its only 50bux, and i wouldnt think that downgrading to 8gb will change much in the way of total price

can you briefly explain why i dont need 16gb of ram, i was always under the impression that more is better



faster is better, not more, RAM is where the active programs are stored, for gaming, the biggest and most demanding games out there would rarely use more then 6gbs of RAM. so unless you're into video editing or rendering, more then 8 is overkill.


ok thanks for clearing that up
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 2:50:34 AM

fnatic said:
Very little software use the full 16gb of ram. No games right now use that much. What speed is the RAM by the way? 1600? I wouldn't get any RAM faster than 1600 for gaming it'd be a waste of money.


yes it is ddr3 1600
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 2:53:55 AM

Rhavi Marques said:
Liam Joyce said:
fnatic said:
First off did you already buy it? Second if you didn't buy it yet what is your price range? If you aren't overclocking then you really don't need the CM hyper 212 (Only necessary when OC your CPU).

I would get a new PSU. Corsair, seasonic at least rated bronze 80.
I'd change the case to a cooler master HAF 912, 922, X etc..
As for the MB - MSI Z87-G41

As for the GPU it's not the worst thing to have but.. it won't be playing any games on high. Your integrated GPU will be very bad. Short answer no to CS without having really low FPS. I'd take the 7770 if that's all you can afford now and save up.

Overclocking is more of a neat thing to tinker around with and really boost up your CPU. I'd pay the extra 20 bucks for it time and time again.



no i havent bought it, i still have the option to change everything, its costing me about 1200 NZD, i wouldnt really want to go any higher then that at this point

im kinda limited to whatever this perosn is selling so changing the mobo would be a bit rude i think? lol anythign better is going to cost me more as well

im not really looking to chnage the mobo/cpu side of things just wondering if its a good choice

currently i am using an asus 512mb 9500gt .. haha so im assuming that most things will give me a better experience then this although i get about 60fps in css




if you're really into the budget thing, get an FX instead of the i5, intel isnt price friendly.



so i5/i7 arent necessarily the best?? i mean an fx does seem to be more bang for buck from what i can see .. but ive just always had intel
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2013 2:56:44 AM

http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/1gQoZ

I put this together based on your prices. (fyi your country is expensive lol). It goes About 100 over what you're currently spending but gives you A LOT MORE. You can OC, better GPU, better memory, better PSU etc...
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 2:59:06 AM

fnatic said:
http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/1gQoZ

I put this together based on your prices. (fyi your country is expensive lol). It goes About 100 over what you're currently spending but gives you A LOT MORE. You can OC, better GPU, better memory, better PSU etc...


i know our country is expensive lol im sick of it!!

check out this link its about the same price as my current choice what do you think

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/desktops/no-monitor/...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2013 3:03:30 AM

It's not to bad. I'm not a fan of AMD and have very little experience with them. Rest doesn't look too bad though.
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 3:08:14 AM

fnatic said:
It's not to bad. I'm not a fan of AMD and have very little experience with them. Rest doesn't look too bad though.


thats kinda why i went for the i5 4670 .. cause personally i prefer intel but i don't really have a specific reason why.. although it seems going amd does take a huge bite out of the price and adds more important things in places that would help for gaming
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 3:12:46 AM

Liam Joyce said:
Rhavi Marques said:
Liam Joyce said:
fnatic said:
First off did you already buy it? Second if you didn't buy it yet what is your price range? If you aren't overclocking then you really don't need the CM hyper 212 (Only necessary when OC your CPU).

I would get a new PSU. Corsair, seasonic at least rated bronze 80.
I'd change the case to a cooler master HAF 912, 922, X etc..
As for the MB - MSI Z87-G41

As for the GPU it's not the worst thing to have but.. it won't be playing any games on high. Your integrated GPU will be very bad. Short answer no to CS without having really low FPS. I'd take the 7770 if that's all you can afford now and save up.

Overclocking is more of a neat thing to tinker around with and really boost up your CPU. I'd pay the extra 20 bucks for it time and time again.



no i havent bought it, i still have the option to change everything, its costing me about 1200 NZD, i wouldnt really want to go any higher then that at this point

im kinda limited to whatever this perosn is selling so changing the mobo would be a bit rude i think? lol anythign better is going to cost me more as well

im not really looking to chnage the mobo/cpu side of things just wondering if its a good choice

currently i am using an asus 512mb 9500gt .. haha so im assuming that most things will give me a better experience then this although i get about 60fps in css




if you're really into the budget thing, get an FX instead of the i5, intel isnt price friendly.



so i5/i7 arent necessarily the best?? i mean an fx does seem to be more bang for buck from what i can see .. but ive just always had intel


nope, i5/i7 arnt necessarily the best at all. the fx-8350 and 8320 are great processors, i just bought one myself after seeing a benchmark video of it beating the all-famous i5 by a very wide margin on a ton of games, the game it didnt beat, it lost by 0.5 fps.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE this was the video infact, i recommend watching it even if you dont go with it.
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 3:14:32 AM



[/quotemsg]

so i5/i7 arent necessarily the best?? i mean an fx does seem to be more bang for buck from what i can see .. but ive just always had intel [/quotemsg]

nope, i5/i7 arnt necessarily the best at all. the fx-8350 and 8320 are great processors, i just bought one myself after seeing a benchmark video of it beating the all-famous i5 by a very wide margin on a ton of games, the game it didnt beat, it lost by 0.5 fps.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE this was the video infact, i recommend watching it even if you dont go with it.[/quotemsg]


http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/desktops/no-monitor/...

whats your opinion on this setup? more up my alley?
m
0
l

Best solution

July 15, 2013 3:24:45 AM

Liam Joyce said:




so i5/i7 arent necessarily the best?? i mean an fx does seem to be more bang for buck from what i can see .. but ive just always had intel [/quotemsg]

nope, i5/i7 arnt necessarily the best at all. the fx-8350 and 8320 are great processors, i just bought one myself after seeing a benchmark video of it beating the all-famous i5 by a very wide margin on a ton of games, the game it didnt beat, it lost by 0.5 fps.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE this was the video infact, i recommend watching it even if you dont go with it.[/quotemsg]


http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/desktops/no-monitor/...

whats your opinion on this setup? more up my alley?[/quotemsg]


something like that, yeah, 16gbs of ram is still overkill, but very nice, although i think everyone here would recommend you buy parts and build it yourself :) 

little jelous as i bought the 8320 myself. (but plan to overclock it to 8350 speed)
Share
July 15, 2013 3:34:22 AM

Rhavi Marques said:
Liam Joyce said:




so i5/i7 arent necessarily the best?? i mean an fx does seem to be more bang for buck from what i can see .. but ive just always had intel


nope, i5/i7 arnt necessarily the best at all. the fx-8350 and 8320 are great processors, i just bought one myself after seeing a benchmark video of it beating the all-famous i5 by a very wide margin on a ton of games, the game it didnt beat, it lost by 0.5 fps.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE this was the video infact, i recommend watching it even if you dont go with it.[/quotemsg]


http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/desktops/no-monitor/...

whats your opinion on this setup? more up my alley?[/quotemsg]


something like that, yeah, 16gbs of ram is still overkill, but very nice, although i think everyone here would recommend you buy parts and build it yourself :) 

little jelous as i bought the 8320 myself. (but plan to overclock it to 8350 speed)
[/quotemsg]

i would like to build it myself however,

1) i have already clicked buy now on the auction therefore committing myself to buying a product from this person

and

2) i would feel much more comfortable with a professional doing it, i like to think i know a fair bit about pcs but the truth is there is a shit load i don't know haha. one of my last pcs i had was i think an intel core duo ... i went into the bios and changed the ram from passive to aggressive for no real reason i was just playing around,
and kissed that computer goodbye forever haha ,

perhaps i can downgrade to 8gb of better ram eg g.skil or maybe upgrade the psu
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 9:43:08 AM

Liam Joyce said:
Rhavi Marques said:
Liam Joyce said:




so i5/i7 arent necessarily the best?? i mean an fx does seem to be more bang for buck from what i can see .. but ive just always had intel


nope, i5/i7 arnt necessarily the best at all. the fx-8350 and 8320 are great processors, i just bought one myself after seeing a benchmark video of it beating the all-famous i5 by a very wide margin on a ton of games, the game it didnt beat, it lost by 0.5 fps.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE this was the video infact, i recommend watching it even if you dont go with it.



http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/desktops/no-monitor/...

whats your opinion on this setup? more up my alley?[/quotemsg]


something like that, yeah, 16gbs of ram is still overkill, but very nice, although i think everyone here would recommend you buy parts and build it yourself :) 

little jelous as i bought the 8320 myself. (but plan to overclock it to 8350 speed)
[/quotemsg]

i would like to build it myself however,

1) i have already clicked buy now on the auction therefore committing myself to buying a product from this person

and

2) i would feel much more comfortable with a professional doing it, i like to think i know a fair bit about pcs but the truth is there is a shit load i don't know haha. one of my last pcs i had was i think an intel core duo ... i went into the bios and changed the ram from passive to aggressive for no real reason i was just playing around,
and kissed that computer goodbye forever haha ,

perhaps i can downgrade to 8gb of better ram eg g.skil or maybe upgrade the psu[/quotemsg]




congrats on the purchase, i know how you feel, i've done a fair ammount of screwing up.

i dont think you'd notice much difference in switching between ram brands, and once you have 16gb, why bother with it, right? the psu would only need upgrading if you add a second graphics card, or something, that is a very good computer, maybe just save up and get a 700/800 series in a few months or so would be the only thing i'd change on it, good luck!
m
0
l
July 16, 2013 3:51:54 PM

iv still done alot more research and its still a very hard decscsion but the fx 8350 with gtx 660 is definately winning the battle.. one more question. is there any benefit/downfall in

CPU/GPU

AMD/NVIDIA
AMD/ATI
INTEL/NVIDIA
INTEL/ATI

personlly i want an nvidia card cause physx adds richness to gameplay.. so will there be any benefit if i go with the gtx 660 on the i5 or is there no real difference

(might i add that an i5 4670k with a gtx 660 is about 300 bux more expensive that the fx 8350 so kinda going over budget) but price aside

is intel plus nvidia a better combo then amd + nvidia or is that myth
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2013 9:38:55 PM

Very few games actually use physx to be honest. The combo doesn't really matter both work well. One doesn't sync better than the other.
m
0
l
July 17, 2013 9:28:32 AM

fnatic said:
Very few games actually use physx to be honest. The combo doesn't really matter both work well. One doesn't sync better than the other.


lol i actually started a new thread because i wasnt sure if this would still be visited being tagged as solved. haha and this was the most stright ot the point answer i got!

regardless of the few games that use phsyx. they r the games i want to play ! :) 
m
0
l
!