Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need some advice about picking a GPu

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 15, 2013 2:16:44 AM

Hello, I am looking to add a GPU to the build listed below. My max budget for the whole Rig is $2000. So the GPU total before Tax & Shipping Can't exceed that.

This Rig will be used for: Web surfing, watching videos, and gaming. BF4, WoW, maybe some others depending what comes out next.

Time Frame: 4-6 Months max

Now I was looking at the GTX 680..But I am seeing the GTX 700 series too. The price for the GTX 700 series is pretty cheap compared to the 680. Which is better?

Thanks in Advance..

My build so far..
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX-2 4g Thermal Paste ($7.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($140.91 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($171.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE278H 27.0" Monitor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: A4Tech G800V Wired Gaming Keyboard ($65.91 @ Newegg)
Mouse: A4Tech XL-747H Wired Laser Mouse ($54.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1478.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-15 05:13 EDT-0400)

More about : advice picking gpu

July 15, 2013 2:20:44 AM

700 series is being a little broad in terms, if the budget fits, a 780 would be better.
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 2:31:31 AM

700 series in "general" are faster. With 4-6months being your time frame I would maybe just wait. The new 800 series will be out around december/januaryish.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 15, 2013 2:43:40 AM

770 is faster yet cheaper than the 680. If you have the extra budget of ~$150, you can get the 780.
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 2:45:06 AM

Did a quick check up between a GTX 680 & 780...Based on the little info down bottom...To me it seems them 680 is faster? Beginner when it comes to GPU's and basing their speed & efficiency between 2 different ones. Not to mention since it's new what about "new product issues" compatibility and so on? I put 4-6 months because that gives me some wiggle room in case of any emergencies that I may need to use the money on...Should have the full amount by September. Any ways, I didn't know they are coming out with the 800 series already O.O Aren't the 700 series like a year old or less?
Thanks in advance



GTX 680 -
Core Clock
1071MHz

Boost Clock
1137MHz

CUDA Cores
1536

Effective Memory Clock
6008MHz

Memory Size
2GB

Memory Interface
256-bit

Memory Type
GDDR5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GTX 780 -
Core Clock
863MHz

Boost Clock
900MHz

CUDA Cores
2304
Memory Size
3GB

Memory Interface
384-bit

Memory Type
GDDR5
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 2:48:43 AM

384bit, about 100gb/s more bandwidth, etc, etc.

core clock isnt the deciding factor.
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 2:55:25 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX-2 4g Thermal Paste ($4.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($649.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($141.01 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($171.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VE278H 27.0" Monitor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: A4Tech G800V Wired Gaming Keyboard ($65.91 @ Newegg)
Mouse: A4Tech XL-747H Wired Laser Mouse ($54.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $2058.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-15 05:54 EDT-0400)

So I added the GTX 780..little over my budget but it's not over by a whole lot. Though, this GPU isn't massive is it? Should fit into my case right without modding the case?
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 3:02:45 AM

You know the GTX780 will only add 15% performance over a GTX770? Enough to turn 30fps into 34fps. Any particular reason for that monitor by the way?
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 3:06:30 AM

sam_p_lay said:
You know the GTX780 will only add 15% performance over a GTX770? Enough to turn 30fps into 34fps. Any particular reason for that monitor by the way?


hmm...really? didn't even know that lol...so should I aim for a 770 then? It's big! I'm near sited so it helps when I have a bigger screen...other wise I'll end up squinting.. I could drop to a 24-25". Also heard that you can see more in games with a bigger screen " wider field of view" ? I use to have a 23" but even that made me squint some time's depending on what I'm doing.
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 3:07:17 AM

jjg2013 said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX-2 4g Thermal Paste ($4.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($649.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($141.01 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($171.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VE278H 27.0" Monitor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: A4Tech G800V Wired Gaming Keyboard ($65.91 @ Newegg)
Mouse: A4Tech XL-747H Wired Laser Mouse ($54.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $2058.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-15 05:54 EDT-0400)

So I added the GTX 780..little over my budget but it's not over by a whole lot. Though, this GPU isn't massive is it? Should fit into my case right without modding the case?



yeah, with a full tower case like that you can put a few 780s and your cat and still have plenty of airflow.
you could even use a mid-tower case, then you'd have to check sizes, but they are generally cheaper too.
you plan to overclock correct? if you dont you could knock-off that aftermarket cpu cooler and fancy-pants paste too.
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 3:10:04 AM

Rhavi Marques said:
jjg2013 said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX-2 4g Thermal Paste ($4.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($649.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($141.01 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($171.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VE278H 27.0" Monitor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: A4Tech G800V Wired Gaming Keyboard ($65.91 @ Newegg)
Mouse: A4Tech XL-747H Wired Laser Mouse ($54.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $2058.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-15 05:54 EDT-0400)

So I added the GTX 780..little over my budget but it's not over by a whole lot. Though, this GPU isn't massive is it? Should fit into my case right without modding the case?



yeah, with a full tower case like that you can put a few 780s and your cat and still have plenty of airflow.
you could even use a mid-tower case, then you'd have to check sizes, but they are generally cheaper too.
you plan to overclock correct? if you dont you could knock-off that aftermarket cpu cooler and fancy-pants paste too.


I do at some point. Might not right away. Same with SLIing the GPU's. lol "fancy-pants paste"
m
0
l

Best solution

July 15, 2013 3:13:32 AM

jjg2013 said:
sam_p_lay said:
You know the GTX780 will only add 15% performance over a GTX770? Enough to turn 30fps into 34fps. Any particular reason for that monitor by the way?


hmm...really? didn't even know that lol...so should I aim for a 770 then? It's big! I'm near sited so it helps when I have a bigger screen...other wise I'll end up squinting.. I could drop to a 24-25". Also heard that you can see more in games with a bigger screen " wider field of view" ? I use to have a 23" but even that made me squint some time's depending on what I'm doing.


I'd absolutely recommend the GTX770! GTX780 prices are insanely high because AMD haven't yet launched their new range to compete so nVIDIA are taking advantage (first time in years nVIDIA got their lineup out before AMD). Soon as AMD's range launches, prices will drop on GTX780 and early adopters will regret paying so much extra! Even at 100 less than it is, I still don't think it's worth it for 15%.

And I'd recommend the MX279H for far superior quality but still a 1080p big screen. If you're short-sighted then it sounds like you have the right idea with a large 1080p display. With an IPS panel though you'll have far better colour quality.
Share
July 15, 2013 3:28:28 AM

Glad to help :-) Looks like an awesome setup!
m
0
l
!