Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

1440p or 1080p 120hz monitor? For gaming

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 15, 2013 9:39:14 AM

Hello, I'am gonna build a gaming computer. I'am gonna buy gtx 780 and play on a single monitor. I want to get the best K/D as possible and the best graphic. I'am not sure if I should get 1440p 60hz monitor or 120hz 1080p monitor. What will be best for a gtx 780 and for me.
July 15, 2013 9:45:39 AM

FYI a 120hz 1080p monitor will display 60 FPS at best anyway. IMO 1440 looks better than 1080, although a lot depends on the quality of the display and what size you're looking at. A GTX 780 will easily power both (assuming the rest of your system is up to snuff).
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
July 15, 2013 9:51:17 AM

ddpruitt said:
FYI a 120hz 1080p monitor will display 60 FPS at best anyway. IMO 1440 looks better than 1080, although a lot depends on the quality of the display and what size you're looking at. A GTX 780 will easily power both (assuming the rest of your system is up to snuff).


idk where you read a 120hz monitor will only do 60fps at best but im running 2 120hz monitors and a 60hz monitor and you can clearly tell the difference, you will notice less eye strain, fluid movements and a higher frame rate. I also hope a 1440p is better than 1080p but for gaming 1440p is going to bog down his fps due to a better picture.
July 15, 2013 9:55:03 AM

ddpruitt said:
FYI a 120hz 1080p monitor will display 60 FPS at best anyway. IMO 1440 looks better than 1080, although a lot depends on the quality of the display and what size you're looking at. A GTX 780 will easily power both (assuming the rest of your system is up to snuff).


Well, my rest of the system will be:
Corsair TX 850W PSU
Intel Core i5-4670K
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, Socket-1150
Cooler Master Seidon 120M
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 16GB KIT
Gainward GeForce GTX 780 3GB PhysX CUDA
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB
HDD: WD desktop blue 1TB

Anything I should change?
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
July 15, 2013 9:55:59 AM

It's personal preference, but I'll give you some points:

1) I prefer my LARGE 27" screen, even though I game at 1920x1080 most of the time because most games at 2560x1440 look almost exactly THE SAME. Main exceptions are Torchlight, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 etc (games with small text/HUDs). Even at 1920x1080, it still looks better than a 27" with a NATIVE resolution of 1920x1080.

2) I prefer 2560x1440 for desktop applications (must setup right: DPI scaling of 25% or so, and CTRL-Mouse Scroll to change size in browsers).

3) Some 120Hz monitors have a 60Hz HDMI input (DVI is 120Hz PC format; HDMI is HDTV format).

4) 3D support?

5) Even a GTX780 will struggle to maintain 120FPS in many games, though you still have the option of Adaptive HALF VSYNC for 60FPS VSYNC on 120Hz monitors.

6) *MOST 27", 2560x1440 monitors have issues such as bleeding etc. Be very careful when buying one. The one with the least issues may be the Dell U2711 but it's also $1000. Other than slightly sparkly anti-glare (doesn't affect gameplay) mine's been perfect for three years except when it failed but the new monitor arrived next day with a pre-paid waybill so I paid nothing.

SUMMARY:
If you can find a 27", 2560x1440 screen with no issues, it really is awesome to game that large. The large screen makes you feel more immersed and it's great for top-down games like Starcraft 2 with the extra real estate.

Be prepared to do a lot of research and spend some money though.
July 15, 2013 9:56:46 AM

RaisingTheBarHD said:
ddpruitt said:
FYI a 120hz 1080p monitor will display 60 FPS at best anyway. IMO 1440 looks better than 1080, although a lot depends on the quality of the display and what size you're looking at. A GTX 780 will easily power both (assuming the rest of your system is up to snuff).


idk where you read a 120hz monitor will only do 60fps at best but im running 2 120hz monitors and a 60hz monitor and you can clearly tell the difference, you will notice less eye strain, fluid movements and a higher frame rate. I also hope a 1440p is better than 1080p but for gaming 1440p is going to bog down his fps due to a better picture.


I know. a 1440p costs more money. Picture is important but my K/D is more important. What do you think. :s
July 15, 2013 9:59:41 AM

photonboy said:
It's personal preference, but I'll give you some points:

1) I prefer my LARGE 27" screen, even though I game at 1920x1080 most of the time because most games at 2560x1440 look almost exactly THE SAME. Main exceptions are Torchlight, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 etc (games with small text/HUDs). Even at 1920x1080, it still looks better than a 27" with a NATIVE resolution of 1920x1080.

2) I prefer 2560x1440 for desktop applications (must setup right: DPI scaling of 25% or so, and CTRL-Mouse Scroll to change size in browsers).

3) Some 120Hz monitors have a 60Hz HDMI input (DVI is 120Hz PC format; HDMI is HDTV format).

4) 3D support?

5) Even a GTX780 will struggle to maintain 120FPS in many games, though you still have the option of Adaptive HALF VSYNC for 60FPS VSYNC on 120Hz monitors.

6) *MOST 27", 2560x1440 monitors have issues such as bleeding etc. Be very careful when buying one. The one with the least issues may be the Dell U2711 but it's also $1000. Other than slightly sparkly anti-glare (doesn't affect gameplay) mine's been perfect for three years except when it failed but the new monitor arrived next day with a pre-paid waybill so I paid nothing.

SUMMARY:
If you can find a 27", 2560x1440 screen with no issues, it really is awesome to game that large. The large screen makes you feel more immersed and it's great for top-down games like Starcraft 2 with the extra real estate.

Be prepared to do a lot of research and spend some money though.


Thanks. But money is the problem! I'am gonna use 2000 dollars on the pc and only 300 dollars on the screen :s. Is it worth to save money a month or so to get that beast screen?
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
July 15, 2013 10:00:00 AM

120Hz displaying only 60FPS:
I think he's mixing the monitor with HDTV's that use motion smoothing. 120Hz MONITORS can display 120FPS, that's the entire point to get 3D at 60FPS effective (each eye).

HDTV's work differently. The input is still 60Hz but several frames are sampled and the HDTV creates ARTIFICIAL frames. For 120Hz Motionflow it's one fake per one real, and for 240Hz Motionflow it's 3 fake for one real.
a b 4 Gaming
July 15, 2013 10:01:07 AM

Axzevos said:
RaisingTheBarHD said:
ddpruitt said:
FYI a 120hz 1080p monitor will display 60 FPS at best anyway. IMO 1440 looks better than 1080, although a lot depends on the quality of the display and what size you're looking at. A GTX 780 will easily power both (assuming the rest of your system is up to snuff).


idk where you read a 120hz monitor will only do 60fps at best but im running 2 120hz monitors and a 60hz monitor and you can clearly tell the difference, you will notice less eye strain, fluid movements and a higher frame rate. I also hope a 1440p is better than 1080p but for gaming 1440p is going to bog down his fps due to a better picture.


I know. a 1440p costs more money. Picture is important but my K/D is more important. What do you think. :s


just get the 1080p trust me, most pro players who play fps usually wont run ultra everything either bc they want the fastest fps then can so usually ultra/high on settings with over 120hz monitor
July 15, 2013 10:09:59 AM

RaisingTheBarHD said:
Axzevos said:
RaisingTheBarHD said:
ddpruitt said:
FYI a 120hz 1080p monitor will display 60 FPS at best anyway. IMO 1440 looks better than 1080, although a lot depends on the quality of the display and what size you're looking at. A GTX 780 will easily power both (assuming the rest of your system is up to snuff).


idk where you read a 120hz monitor will only do 60fps at best but im running 2 120hz monitors and a 60hz monitor and you can clearly tell the difference, you will notice less eye strain, fluid movements and a higher frame rate. I also hope a 1440p is better than 1080p but for gaming 1440p is going to bog down his fps due to a better picture.


I know. a 1440p costs more money. Picture is important but my K/D is more important. What do you think. :s


just get the 1080p trust me, most pro players who play fps usually wont run ultra everything either bc they want the fastest fps then can so usually ultra/high on settings with over 120hz monitor


I got a 55" TV on my room that I bought last year that costed 2500 dollars. Will it be better to play on that? I don't even know which resolution it got.
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
July 15, 2013 10:11:47 AM

Axzevos said:
photonboy said:
It's personal preference, but I'll give you some points:

1) I prefer my LARGE 27" screen, even though I game at 1920x1080 most of the time because most games at 2560x1440 look almost exactly THE SAME. Main exceptions are Torchlight, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 etc (games with small text/HUDs). Even at 1920x1080, it still looks better than a 27" with a NATIVE resolution of 1920x1080.

2) I prefer 2560x1440 for desktop applications (must setup right: DPI scaling of 25% or so, and CTRL-Mouse Scroll to change size in browsers).

3) Some 120Hz monitors have a 60Hz HDMI input (DVI is 120Hz PC format; HDMI is HDTV format).

4) 3D support?

5) Even a GTX780 will struggle to maintain 120FPS in many games, though you still have the option of Adaptive HALF VSYNC for 60FPS VSYNC on 120Hz monitors.

6) *MOST 27", 2560x1440 monitors have issues such as bleeding etc. Be very careful when buying one. The one with the least issues may be the Dell U2711 but it's also $1000. Other than slightly sparkly anti-glare (doesn't affect gameplay) mine's been perfect for three years except when it failed but the new monitor arrived next day with a pre-paid waybill so I paid nothing.

SUMMARY:
If you can find a 27", 2560x1440 screen with no issues, it really is awesome to game that large. The large screen makes you feel more immersed and it's great for top-down games like Starcraft 2 with the extra real estate.

Be prepared to do a lot of research and spend some money though.


Thanks. But money is the problem! I'am gonna use 2000 dollars on the pc and only 300 dollars on the screen :s. Is it worth to save money a month or so to get that beast screen?


I can't answer the question of whether it's worth it to you as I said it's $1000 and I love mine, but if your budget is $300 roughly for a screen you shouldn't even be thinking about a 2560x1440 monitor. I recommend you get the BEST QUALITY you can for that budget which would likely be a 60Hz 23" or 24" monitor.

I'll Google and see what's available for $300 to $400.
July 15, 2013 10:15:50 AM

photonboy said:
Axzevos said:
photonboy said:
It's personal preference, but I'll give you some points:

1) I prefer my LARGE 27" screen, even though I game at 1920x1080 most of the time because most games at 2560x1440 look almost exactly THE SAME. Main exceptions are Torchlight, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 etc (games with small text/HUDs). Even at 1920x1080, it still looks better than a 27" with a NATIVE resolution of 1920x1080.

2) I prefer 2560x1440 for desktop applications (must setup right: DPI scaling of 25% or so, and CTRL-Mouse Scroll to change size in browsers).

3) Some 120Hz monitors have a 60Hz HDMI input (DVI is 120Hz PC format; HDMI is HDTV format).

4) 3D support?

5) Even a GTX780 will struggle to maintain 120FPS in many games, though you still have the option of Adaptive HALF VSYNC for 60FPS VSYNC on 120Hz monitors.

6) *MOST 27", 2560x1440 monitors have issues such as bleeding etc. Be very careful when buying one. The one with the least issues may be the Dell U2711 but it's also $1000. Other than slightly sparkly anti-glare (doesn't affect gameplay) mine's been perfect for three years except when it failed but the new monitor arrived next day with a pre-paid waybill so I paid nothing.

SUMMARY:
If you can find a 27", 2560x1440 screen with no issues, it really is awesome to game that large. The large screen makes you feel more immersed and it's great for top-down games like Starcraft 2 with the extra real estate.

Be prepared to do a lot of research and spend some money though.


Thanks. But money is the problem! I'am gonna use 2000 dollars on the pc and only 300 dollars on the screen :s. Is it worth to save money a month or so to get that beast screen?


I can't answer the question of whether it's worth it to you as I said it's $1000 and I love mine, but if your budget is $300 roughly for a screen you shouldn't even be thinking about a 2560x1440 monitor. I recommend you get the BEST QUALITY you can for that budget which would likely be a 60Hz 23" or 24" monitor.

I'll Google and see what's available for $300 to $400.


Thanks for using your time to search that for me. But is it any cheap sites I can buy my monitor on that can send it to Norway? I've really seen many nice people on toms hardware and you're one of them.
a b 4 Gaming
July 15, 2013 10:21:04 AM

Axzevos said:
RaisingTheBarHD said:
Axzevos said:
RaisingTheBarHD said:
ddpruitt said:
FYI a 120hz 1080p monitor will display 60 FPS at best anyway. IMO 1440 looks better than 1080, although a lot depends on the quality of the display and what size you're looking at. A GTX 780 will easily power both (assuming the rest of your system is up to snuff).


idk where you read a 120hz monitor will only do 60fps at best but im running 2 120hz monitors and a 60hz monitor and you can clearly tell the difference, you will notice less eye strain, fluid movements and a higher frame rate. I also hope a 1440p is better than 1080p but for gaming 1440p is going to bog down his fps due to a better picture.


I know. a 1440p costs more money. Picture is important but my K/D is more important. What do you think. :s


just get the 1080p trust me, most pro players who play fps usually wont run ultra everything either bc they want the fastest fps then can so usually ultra/high on settings with over 120hz monitor


I got a 55" TV on my room that I bought last year that costed 2500 dollars. Will it be better to play on that? I don't even know which resolution it got.


i would not recommend it, because those large tvs have a higher refresh rate which will cause mouse lag. even if the tv has game mode and able to drop the hertz it still wont be as good as a monitor with a 1ms response time compared to like 40ms on those big Tvs
July 15, 2013 10:24:30 AM

RaisingTheBarHD said:
Axzevos said:
RaisingTheBarHD said:
Axzevos said:
RaisingTheBarHD said:
ddpruitt said:
FYI a 120hz 1080p monitor will display 60 FPS at best anyway. IMO 1440 looks better than 1080, although a lot depends on the quality of the display and what size you're looking at. A GTX 780 will easily power both (assuming the rest of your system is up to snuff).


idk where you read a 120hz monitor will only do 60fps at best but im running 2 120hz monitors and a 60hz monitor and you can clearly tell the difference, you will notice less eye strain, fluid movements and a higher frame rate. I also hope a 1440p is better than 1080p but for gaming 1440p is going to bog down his fps due to a better picture.


I know. a 1440p costs more money. Picture is important but my K/D is more important. What do you think. :s


just get the 1080p trust me, most pro players who play fps usually wont run ultra everything either bc they want the fastest fps then can so usually ultra/high on settings with over 120hz monitor


I got a 55" TV on my room that I bought last year that costed 2500 dollars. Will it be better to play on that? I don't even know which resolution it got.


i would not recommend it, because those large tvs have a higher refresh rate which will cause mouse lag. even if the tv has game mode and able to drop the hertz it still wont be as good as a monitor with a 1ms response time compared to like 40ms on those big Tvs


Okay, I was thinking that was way to big to xD. Which sites can send monitors to Norway? o.o.
a b 4 Gaming
July 15, 2013 10:34:27 AM

Axzevos said:
photonboy said:
Axzevos said:
photonboy said:
It's personal preference, but I'll give you some points:

1) I prefer my LARGE 27" screen, even though I game at 1920x1080 most of the time because most games at 2560x1440 look almost exactly THE SAME. Main exceptions are Torchlight, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 etc (games with small text/HUDs). Even at 1920x1080, it still looks better than a 27" with a NATIVE resolution of 1920x1080.

2) I prefer 2560x1440 for desktop applications (must setup right: DPI scaling of 25% or so, and CTRL-Mouse Scroll to change size in browsers).

3) Some 120Hz monitors have a 60Hz HDMI input (DVI is 120Hz PC format; HDMI is HDTV format).

4) 3D support?

5) Even a GTX780 will struggle to maintain 120FPS in many games, though you still have the option of Adaptive HALF VSYNC for 60FPS VSYNC on 120Hz monitors.

6) *MOST 27", 2560x1440 monitors have issues such as bleeding etc. Be very careful when buying one. The one with the least issues may be the Dell U2711 but it's also $1000. Other than slightly sparkly anti-glare (doesn't affect gameplay) mine's been perfect for three years except when it failed but the new monitor arrived next day with a pre-paid waybill so I paid nothing.

SUMMARY:
If you can find a 27", 2560x1440 screen with no issues, it really is awesome to game that large. The large screen makes you feel more immersed and it's great for top-down games like Starcraft 2 with the extra real estate.

Be prepared to do a lot of research and spend some money though.


Thanks. But money is the problem! I'am gonna use 2000 dollars on the pc and only 300 dollars on the screen :s. Is it worth to save money a month or so to get that beast screen?


I can't answer the question of whether it's worth it to you as I said it's $1000 and I love mine, but if your budget is $300 roughly for a screen you shouldn't even be thinking about a 2560x1440 monitor. I recommend you get the BEST QUALITY you can for that budget which would likely be a 60Hz 23" or 24" monitor.

I'll Google and see what's available for $300 to $400.


Thanks for using your time to search that for me. But is it any cheap sites I can buy my monitor on that can send it to Norway? I've really seen many nice people on toms hardware and you're one of them.


im 90% sure there is shipping to norway from amzon
July 15, 2013 10:37:57 AM

RaisingTheBarHD said:
ddpruitt said:
FYI a 120hz 1080p monitor will display 60 FPS at best anyway. IMO 1440 looks better than 1080, although a lot depends on the quality of the display and what size you're looking at. A GTX 780 will easily power both (assuming the rest of your system is up to snuff).


idk where you read a 120hz monitor will only do 60fps at best but im running 2 120hz monitors and a 60hz monitor and you can clearly tell the difference, you will notice less eye strain, fluid movements and a higher frame rate. I also hope a 1440p is better than 1080p but for gaming 1440p is going to bog down his fps due to a better picture.


Check the specs. This is one of those wonderful lies that display manufacturers are happy to let the public perpetuate. The image will be refreshed 120 times per second (or whatever) however these images are duplicated. This is done to get a fast response time. In most cases a 120 Hz display will do a 2:1 pulldown and display a frame twice. This may look better to some people depending on the setup (I prefer 60Hz to 120Hz because I see jarring motion on this type of display, even newer ones). 3D displays in particular (like the Asus above) will take a single frame for each eye and display them for very short periods of time one right after the other (I'm guessing 5:12 pulldown without looking at specs) to smooth out the motion hence the 144Hz. Software (in particular FRAPS) will tell you that you're displaying more FPS than the monitor is capable of displaying, the extra frames just get dropped. And we're not even into input lag yet. True 120Hz displays exist however they tend to be really expensive.

Again all of this is moot since a lot depends on the person actually looking at the display. What looks best is very subjective. Best thing to do is to go out and look at displays and see what works best for you. Personally I prefer to game on my 42" 1080p TV versus my 21" 1440p monitor simply because of the size of the display even-though the monitor looks better.
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
July 15, 2013 10:38:06 AM

Here's a LIST of monitors. How to compare:

**Make a LIST of MUST-HAVE features, then "wanted" features.
- price
- resolution (1920x1080 and 1920x1200)
- inputs (HDMI HDCP is nice for BluRay/game console)
- speaker PASSTHROUGH (i.e. HDMI HDCP input to stereo output for desktop speakers)
- IPS/TFT (panel type)
- refresh rate
- PRO and Customer reviews

I don't have time to compare, I just went to NEWEGG and looked for ones in your price range with good reviews. You can obviously do the same. Not all monitors are ideal for gaming and some may have refresh/ghosting issues so be careful.

LIST:
Dell UltraSharp U2412M Black IPS Panel 24" 8ms
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Dell UltraSharp U2312HM IPS-Panel Black 23" 8ms
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

BenQ XL2420T Black-Red 24" 5ms (2ms GTG) HDMI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) HDMI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS MX239H Silver / Black 23" 5ms (GTG) HDMI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS VS24AH-P Black 24" 5ms (GTG) HDMI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

LG 23EA53V-P Black 23" 5ms (GTG) HDMI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HP Pavilion 23xi Black / Silver 23" 7ms HDMI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
July 15, 2013 10:59:40 AM
Share

The 144Hz Asus looks great. Watch the VIDEO at 1080p fullscreen. Link again:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

*In the video you can see he could choose 60Hz, 85Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz or 144Hz for 1920x1080.

The 27" version above costs $100 more, however I'm not sure if you'd want a 27" screen with "only" 1920x1080 as you tend to be able to see the individual pixels. I haven't seen that model up close. I suppose you could just MOVE IT further away if that bugs you (which would then be the same as the 24" closer).

**Can input HDMI and output audio to desktop speakers for movies/games etc. I tested this with my GTX680 on my U2711 and it works great. I haven't compared audio quality versus onboard or sound card but it sounded great to me and I'm picky (assume it's decoded on the graphics card but not certain).
July 15, 2013 11:10:44 AM

photonboy said:
The 144Hz Asus looks great. Watch the VIDEO at 1080p fullscreen. Link again:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

*In the video you can see he could choose 60Hz, 85Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz or 144Hz for 1920x1080.

The 27" version above costs $100 more, however I'm not sure if you'd want a 27" screen with "only" 1920x1080 as you tend to be able to see the individual pixels. I haven't seen that model up close. I suppose you could just MOVE IT further away if that bugs you (which would then be the same as the 24" closer).

**Can input HDMI and output audio to desktop speakers for movies/games etc. I tested this with my GTX680 on my U2711 and it works great. I haven't compared audio quality versus onboard or sound card but it sounded great to me and I'm picky (assume it's decoded on the graphics card but not certain).


Thanks. I found some very interesting screens. I've been thinking on these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.amazon.com/VG278HE-27-Inch-Screen-LED-lit-Mo...

or maybe the 24 inch screen of that model.

What will be best for a gtx 780?


a b 4 Gaming
July 15, 2013 11:18:04 AM

photonboy said:
The 144Hz Asus looks great. Watch the VIDEO at 1080p fullscreen. Link again:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

*In the video you can see he could choose 60Hz, 85Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz or 144Hz for 1920x1080.

The 27" version above costs $100 more, however I'm not sure if you'd want a 27" screen with "only" 1920x1080 as you tend to be able to see the individual pixels. I haven't seen that model up close. I suppose you could just MOVE IT further away if that bugs you (which would then be the same as the 24" closer).

**Can input HDMI and output audio to desktop speakers for movies/games etc. I tested this with my GTX680 on my U2711 and it works great. I haven't compared audio quality versus onboard or sound card but it sounded great to me and I'm picky (assume it's decoded on the graphics card but not certain).


the 27" is the only one off amazon that can ship internationally, i just tend to buy from amazon.
July 15, 2013 11:21:37 AM

RaisingTheBarHD said:
photonboy said:
The 144Hz Asus looks great. Watch the VIDEO at 1080p fullscreen. Link again:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

*In the video you can see he could choose 60Hz, 85Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz or 144Hz for 1920x1080.

The 27" version above costs $100 more, however I'm not sure if you'd want a 27" screen with "only" 1920x1080 as you tend to be able to see the individual pixels. I haven't seen that model up close. I suppose you could just MOVE IT further away if that bugs you (which would then be the same as the 24" closer).

**Can input HDMI and output audio to desktop speakers for movies/games etc. I tested this with my GTX680 on my U2711 and it works great. I haven't compared audio quality versus onboard or sound card but it sounded great to me and I'm picky (assume it's decoded on the graphics card but not certain).


the 27" is the only one off amazon that can ship internationally, i just tend to buy from amazon.


http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2412M-LED-Monito... ...
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
July 16, 2013 5:39:59 AM

Axzevos,
More than once you have asked:
"What is best for a GTX780?"

There's no single right answer.

We've discussed your BUDGET, and listed various monitors. I'm not quite sure what you're asking with this question.

Do you want greater than 60Hz?
Do you want 3D capability for movies and games?
Do you want HDMI HDCP input for consoles, and passthrough audio to desktop speakers?

Anyway, I already gave my recommendation which was that Asus 24" 144Hz monitor if you can get it. If NOT, then give me some choices of what's available to you.

**In the LINK ABOVE, you linked a 60Hz 1920x1200 monitor from Dell. Your title of this post is 2560x1440 vs 120Hz. Are you interested in 120Hz or not?
August 17, 2013 3:21:01 PM

photonboy's post is interesting. I usually feel better with a pc monitor than a tv, but it is getting a little blurred between the 2 these days.
To keep it simple.....hz is basically how many times per second the screen draws (60hz=60fps). According to the resolution, the video card, and the game, the game can be much higher or lower than 60fps. Just look at the many benchmarks posted around. And the larger the monitor is (without resolution changing), the more noticeable the pixels are. (also matters how far away you are as well). Most 'extreme' gamers like fps to be around 60. Some ppl can't tell the difference until it's below 30fps. All depends on the person viewing.
Pretty tough choice to figure out. Good luck!
August 17, 2013 3:24:17 PM

computertech82 said:
photonboy's post is interesting. I usually feel better with a pc monitor than a tv, but it is getting a little blurred between the 2 these days.
To keep it simple.....hz is basically how many times per second the screen draws (60hz=60fps). According to the resolution, the video card, and the game, the game can be much higher or lower than 60fps. Just look at the many benchmarks posted around. And the larger the monitor is (without resolution changing), the more noticeable the pixels are. (also matters how far away you are as well). Most 'extreme' gamers like fps to be around 60. Some ppl can't tell the difference until it's below 30fps. All depends on the person viewing.
Pretty tough choice to figure out. Good luck!


Well, this post is over a month now. I got two evga gtx 770's and a 144hz monitor.
a b 4 Gaming
a c 122 C Monitor
August 17, 2013 5:11:39 PM

ddpruitt said:
RaisingTheBarHD said:
ddpruitt said:
FYI a 120hz 1080p monitor will display 60 FPS at best anyway. IMO 1440 looks better than 1080, although a lot depends on the quality of the display and what size you're looking at. A GTX 780 will easily power both (assuming the rest of your system is up to snuff).


idk where you read a 120hz monitor will only do 60fps at best but im running 2 120hz monitors and a 60hz monitor and you can clearly tell the difference, you will notice less eye strain, fluid movements and a higher frame rate. I also hope a 1440p is better than 1080p but for gaming 1440p is going to bog down his fps due to a better picture.


Check the specs. This is one of those wonderful lies that display manufacturers are happy to let the public perpetuate. The image will be refreshed 120 times per second (or whatever) however these images are duplicated. This is done to get a fast response time. In most cases a 120 Hz display will do a 2:1 pulldown and display a frame twice. This may look better to some people depending on the setup (I prefer 60Hz to 120Hz because I see jarring motion on this type of display, even newer ones). 3D displays in particular (like the Asus above) will take a single frame for each eye and display them for very short periods of time one right after the other (I'm guessing 5:12 pulldown without looking at specs) to smooth out the motion hence the 144Hz. Software (in particular FRAPS) will tell you that you're displaying more FPS than the monitor is capable of displaying, the extra frames just get dropped. And we're not even into input lag yet. True 120Hz displays exist however they tend to be really expensive.

Again all of this is moot since a lot depends on the person actually looking at the display. What looks best is very subjective. Best thing to do is to go out and look at displays and see what works best for you. Personally I prefer to game on my 42" 1080p TV versus my 21" 1440p monitor simply because of the size of the display even-though the monitor looks better.

As said to you a few times before, you are getting confused with monitors and HDTV's. HDTV's do this, and they don't even work like this with a PC, which are limited to 60hz. Monitors on the other hand give dual link DVI-D or Displayport inputs and allow for 120hz and higher with an input to match.
a b 4 Gaming
a c 122 C Monitor
August 17, 2013 5:14:37 PM

If you want to go 120hz, you should look into Lightboost monitors. They use pulsing light to make the screen bright, only after the pixels on the screen have shifted to their color.
http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/



That is the difference between 2ms, and 2ms with Lightboost using a high speed camera.

It is also worth noting that you can operate these monitors at 100hz, 110hz and 120hz with Lightboost. 100hz may be optimal in a lot of cases, if you can get to 100 FPS but not 120 FPS.

Here is a list of 120hz monitors. Look for Lightboost, or other light pulsing monitors.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2330173
September 15, 2013 8:47:18 PM

A lot of competitive and pro players play 800x600 res. An enemy's body will be bigger meaning it is easier to shoot and they also want to maintain 120 fps
September 21, 2013 2:17:08 PM

I had the Asus 23 inch 1080p 120hz 3d monitor and recently upgraded to a 27 inch cross over black tune 2755 (Korean) which is 60 hz and can be overclocked to 125htz. Amazing monitor for 389. Check ebay.
September 21, 2013 2:19:38 PM

SUPA_FRANKY said:
I had the Asus 23 inch 1080p 120hz 3d monitor and recently upgraded to a 27 inch cross over black tune 2755 (Korean) which is 60 hz and can be overclocked to 125htz. Amazing monitor for 389. Check ebay.


Too late :3. Maybe I will buy it for christmas?
November 19, 2013 2:18:19 PM

my Samsung s27a950 can do 2560x1440p @ 60hz flawlessly is this normal ? this model goes up to 1920x1080p @ 120hz
test it with benchmarks & games no problem at all

a b 4 Gaming
a c 122 C Monitor
November 19, 2013 3:08:46 PM

psefergr said:
my Samsung s27a950 can do 2560x1440p @ 60hz flawlessly is this normal ? this model goes up to 1920x1080p @ 120hz
test it with benchmarks & games no problem at all


It does not display 2560x1440. It can't. It is an LCD with a fixed number of pixels. It is limited to 1080p only, and it does go to 120hz at 1080p.

What you are doing, with it set to 2560x1440, is downscaling the images to 1080p. It is a form of AA.
November 20, 2013 12:35:26 AM

bystander said:
psefergr said:
my Samsung s27a950 can do 2560x1440p @ 60hz flawlessly is this normal ? this model goes up to 1920x1080p @ 120hz
test it with benchmarks & games no problem at all


It does not display 2560x1440. It can't. It is an LCD with a fixed number of pixels. It is limited to 1080p only, and it does go to 120hz at 1080p.

What you are doing, with it set to 2560x1440, is downscaling the images to 1080p. It is a form of AA.


no my friend. the size of the images and the size of the icons the size of the letters is getting smaller also the fps displayed in games and benchmarks is lower !
a b 4 Gaming
a c 122 C Monitor
November 20, 2013 8:28:12 AM

psefergr said:
bystander said:
psefergr said:
my Samsung s27a950 can do 2560x1440p @ 60hz flawlessly is this normal ? this model goes up to 1920x1080p @ 120hz
test it with benchmarks & games no problem at all


It does not display 2560x1440. It can't. It is an LCD with a fixed number of pixels. It is limited to 1080p only, and it does go to 120hz at 1080p.

What you are doing, with it set to 2560x1440, is downscaling the images to 1080p. It is a form of AA.


no my friend. the size of the images and the size of the icons the size of the letters is getting smaller also the fps displayed in games and benchmarks is lower !


Yes, that is called downscaling. The images are created as if they are 2560x1440, which does produce smaller icons. Then the display takes that 2560x1440 image, and shrinks it to 1080p. The GPU works harder, because it is creating 2560x1440 images. The icons are smaller, because they are are made up of the same number of pixels at any resolution and after the downscaling, the icons shrink.

You cannot make a 1080p LCD into a 2560x1440p screen. They have a fixed number of pixels.
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
November 29, 2013 12:40:03 PM

Check the specs. This is one of those wonderful lies that display manufacturers are happy to let the public perpetuate. The image will be refreshed 120 times per second (or whatever) however these images are duplicated. This is done to get a fast response time. In most cases a 120 Hz display will do a 2:1 pulldown and display a frame twice. This may look better to some people depending on the setup (I prefer 60Hz to 120Hz because I see jarring motion on this type of display, even newer ones). 3D displays in particular (like the Asus above) will take a single frame for each eye and display them for very short periods of time one right after the other (I'm guessing 5:12 pulldown without looking at specs) to smooth out the motion hence the 144Hz. Software (in particular FRAPS) will tell you that you're displaying more FPS than the monitor is capable of displaying, the extra frames just get dropped. And we're not even into input lag yet. True 120Hz displays exist however they tend to be really expensive.

Again all of this is moot since a lot depends on the person actually looking at the display. What looks best is very subjective. Best thing to do is to go out and look at displays and see what works best for you. Personally I prefer to game on my 42" 1080p TV versus my 21" 1440p monitor simply because of the size of the display even-though the monitor looks better.
[/quotemsg]

So i definatly made sure to scour the internet before asking you this...but where did you ever find a 21" 1440p monitor?. According to the rest of the internet, they simply do not exist (i'm googling this in november as opposed to this being posted in july) the only screens out there for this size and resolution are the macbook pro retina displays. so unless you are playing on one of those (who games on a mac...) so....link to the monitor or everything you have said thus far will be hard to believe (though most of what you said applies to 120hz tvs and does not apply to monitors).
December 24, 2013 7:59:11 PM

Guys if I buy a1440p 60hz monitor
And while playing battlefield 4
I tone down the resolution to 1080p willing get like around 80-90hz with gtx 780
And should I buy a qnix qx 2710 ??
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
December 25, 2013 1:57:51 PM

Prathit Pannase said:
Guys if I buy a1440p 60hz monitor
And while playing battlefield 4
I tone down the resolution to 1080p willing get like around 80-90hz with gtx 780
And should I buy a qnix qx 2710 ??


You would have to overclock your monitor, which is iffy in most cases, so maybe. and as far as i have read from reviews qnix isn't that great
December 25, 2013 7:01:17 PM

Brantyn Gerik said:
Prathit Pannase said:
Guys if I buy a1440p 60hz monitor
And while playing battlefield 4
I tone down the resolution to 1080p willing get like around 80-90hz with gtx 780
And should I buy a qnix qx 2710 ??


You would have to overclock your monitor, which is iffy in most cases, so maybe. and as far as i have read from reviews qnix isn't that great


That's the reason I am confused
With g sync coming out in January
Btw I will be buying this monitor in March.
I am confused between
120hz 1080p and 60hz 1440p ??
Everybody says 1440p blows 1080p
I havent seem then personally
As I have a 4 year old laptop with 768p screen
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
December 25, 2013 7:05:08 PM

Prathit Pannase said:
Brantyn Gerik said:
Prathit Pannase said:
Guys if I buy a1440p 60hz monitor
And while playing battlefield 4
I tone down the resolution to 1080p willing get like around 80-90hz with gtx 780
And should I buy a qnix qx 2710 ??


You would have to overclock your monitor, which is iffy in most cases, so maybe. and as far as i have read from reviews qnix isn't that great


That's the reason I am confused
With g sync coming out in January
Btw I will be buying this monitor in March.
I am confused between
120hz 1080p and 60hz 1440p ??
Everybody says 1440p blows 1080p
I havent seem then personally
As I have a 4 year old laptop with 768p screen


ok, 120hz 1080p is the sweet spot for gaming/price/quality

1440p has much better quality, but will not look as 'fluid' as a 120hz 1080p (assuming the game being played is being played at over 60fps)

1080p at 60hz is simply the industry standard at the moment and the most popular. For you personally, 1080p would be best as 1440p is still quite expensive and not overly optimal for gaming due to response times.

December 25, 2013 7:46:09 PM

Brantyn Gerik said:
Prathit Pannase said:
Brantyn Gerik said:
Prathit Pannase said:
Guys if I buy a1440p 60hz monitor
And while playing battlefield 4
I tone down the resolution to 1080p willing get like around 80-90hz with gtx 780
And should I buy a qnix qx 2710 ??


You would have to overclock your monitor, which is iffy in most cases, so maybe. and as far as i have read from reviews qnix isn't that great


That's the reason I am confused
With g sync coming out in January
Btw I will be buying this monitor in March.
I am confused between
120hz 1080p and 60hz 1440p ??
Everybody says 1440p blows 1080p
I havent seem then personally
As I have a 4 year old laptop with 768p screen


ok, 120hz 1080p is the sweet spot for gaming/price/quality

1440p has much better quality, but will not look as 'fluid' as a 120hz 1080p (assuming the game being played is being played at over 60fps)

1080p at 60hz is simply the industry standard at the moment and the most popular. For you personally, 1080p would be best as 1440p is still quite expensive and not overly optimal for gaming due to response times.



I will mostly be playing battlefield 4
Trust me I have done. A lot of research
And all that has lead me to greater confusion
Some says 120hz has less eye strain
Some say 1440p is a lot better
Is 96hz good ??
As qnix qx2710 can be safely over lockable to 96hz at 1440p that's quite a deal for 350$
We'll in my case the including the import duty in India (30%) it will total to around 450$
That's my budget
Yeah there are few problem with the monitor which can be fixed
My question is
Should I just buy the 120hz asus monitor 1080p or should I go for 1440p ??
Is 120hz screen worth it ?? And is 96hz better ??
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
December 25, 2013 8:04:14 PM

My own personal answer to you would be to go with the asus monitor, especially since you will get less fps at 1440p (i have seen the monitors and the increased resolution is nice, but it's not THAT nice. Also with the panel you are looking at, they have a nasty habit of coming with imperfections (hence why they are so cheap), but are otherwise beautiful displays.
December 25, 2013 8:12:59 PM

Brantyn Gerik said:
My own personal answer to you would be to go with the asus monitor, especially since you will get less fps at 1440p (i have seen the monitors and the increased resolution is nice, but it's not THAT nice. Also with the panel you are looking at, they have a nasty habit of coming with imperfections (hence why they are so cheap), but are otherwise beautiful displays.


Which monitor would u suggest for 1080p 120hz ???


a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
December 25, 2013 9:05:33 PM

Asus makes a good one, you'd have to google the exact name. If you want a slightly worse picture quality, but a better response time, benq makes good monitors. Look up online reviews to find out which will be best for you, your preferences, and your budget
December 25, 2013 9:26:25 PM

Thanks for your input :) 
a b 4 Gaming
a c 122 C Monitor
December 25, 2013 11:49:52 PM

Prathit Pannase said:

That's the reason I am confused
With g sync coming out in January
Btw I will be buying this monitor in March.
I am confused between
120hz 1080p and 60hz 1440p ??
Everybody says 1440p blows 1080p
I havent seem then personally
As I have a 4 year old laptop with 768p screen


If you aren't buying until March, don't make a choice now. G-sync monitors will be available by then, most likely, and you'll know what options they will come in at that time. Mantle may show its first signs of life by then. These things may make a big impact on your decision. Don't choose until you have to.
December 26, 2013 2:51:53 AM

Even I keep telling my self
But it's fun to research
Currently digital storm is selling asus vg248qe for 500$ with G- sync
And maybe until then something better can happen in the lines of 1440p.
December 26, 2013 2:52:47 AM

Even I keep telling my self
But it's fun to research
Currently digital storm is selling asus vg248qe for 500$ with G- sync
And maybe until then something better would come in 1440p range.
February 18, 2014 7:19:37 AM

ddpruitt said:
FYI a 120hz 1080p monitor will display 60 FPS at best anyway. IMO 1440 looks better than 1080, although a lot depends on the quality of the display and what size you're looking at. A GTX 780 will easily power both (assuming the rest of your system is up to snuff).


No a 120hz monitor will display 120hz because the panel will refresh faster. Coming from someone who has both. if you cant afford 2-3 1440p monitors then dont bother because if you have a 1080p monitor close to it, it is going to bother you....at least it did me
!