Solved

ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero Vs MSI Z87-G45

Short: Need help choosing between a ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero and a MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard. Plan on water cooling and over-clocking.

I have begun to start buying the different components for my computer. So far I have only bought a power supply, a video card, a mouse and a headset, but hey its a start. Now I am at the point in which I have to start buying the core components. (CPU, Motherboard and RAM.)

Yet I have a major dilemma. I am having issues on deciding what Motherboard I should go with. So far I have narrowed it down to the MSI Z87-G45 and the ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero. I have no real price point so any Motherboard works. (Unless it was extremely pricey.)

I have read reviews on both boards from multiple sources, and overall both boards are solid, powerful boards. Although I need help choosing the more powerful and technically stable board.

P.S I plan on overclocking and water cooling my CPU.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asus rog maximus hero msi z87 g45
  1. The Hero has some side benefits that are kind of nice that justify the $50 extra. Has, supposedly, one of the better onboard sound cards. (I've never turned it on, so haven't verified that), comes with lots of neat software tools, even some retail ones are included with licenses. Daemon Tools Pro as an example.

    They both have only 3 additional fan headers, had to use a fan controller on my setup.
  2. WiredMike said:

    Short: Need help choosing between a ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero and a MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard. Plan on water cooling and over-clocking.

    I have begun to start buying the different components for my computer. So far I have only bought a power supply, a video card, a mouse and a headset, but hey its a start. Now I am at the point in which I have to start buying the core components. (CPU, Motherboard and RAM.)

    Yet I have a major dilemma. I am having issues on deciding what Motherboard I should go with. So far I have narrowed it down to the MSI Z87-G45 and the ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero. I have no real price point so any Motherboard works. (Unless it was extremely pricey.)

    I have read reviews on both boards from multiple sources, and overall both boards are solid, powerful boards. Although I need help choosing the more powerful and technically stable board.

    P.S I plan on overclocking and water cooling my CPU.


    Asus RoG branded boards are the most resilient on the market by far. Not only are they generally quite feature rich, the components that they are built with are designed to take the beating that overclocking delivers.

    They're the most expensive for a reason, they're the best.
  3. Hero is a solid board - even if I do say so myself. Plus you'll find quite a large community for help and support and all things overclocking/debugging related on our dedicated forum, or I'm available here to help if need be :)
  4. Best answer
    I think those aren't the most comparable mobos. Unless you compare it to at least the MSI GD65 then the hero is easily better than the GD45 and even then, the hero still beats the GD65 imo although the GD65 is still pretty good value. There is a reason for the price difference between those 2 because with the ROG series you get all the ROG features regardless if you get a hero, gene, extreme, etc... The AI suite, the ramdisk, the memtweak, digicontrol, sonic radar etc... I think are all ROG exclusives or at least ASUS exclusives. The sonic radar is pretty neat as I have used it a few times thus far and is a cool feature for gaming. MSI has a couple of unique utilities for its boards, but not as big of a bundle as is included with the ROG series. The hero also has that onboard audio which means you don't need to buy an extra audio card for good audio performance.

    I have the z87 hero and the only thing it didn't include which may be useful to some is onboard wifi and intel thunderbolt, neither of which I personally needed. Newegg has a 10% off special on the hero right now which makes it just under the $200 mark which is pretty good value imo.
  5. Get the rog board they are built for overclocking
    Great boards with great components
  6. Pinhedd said:
    WiredMike said:

    Short: Need help choosing between a ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero and a MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard. Plan on water cooling and over-clocking.

    I have begun to start buying the different components for my computer. So far I have only bought a power supply, a video card, a mouse and a headset, but hey its a start. Now I am at the point in which I have to start buying the core components. (CPU, Motherboard and RAM.)

    Yet I have a major dilemma. I am having issues on deciding what Motherboard I should go with. So far I have narrowed it down to the MSI Z87-G45 and the ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero. I have no real price point so any Motherboard works. (Unless it was extremely pricey.)

    I have read reviews on both boards from multiple sources, and overall both boards are solid, powerful boards. Although I need help choosing the more powerful and technically stable board.

    P.S I plan on overclocking and water cooling my CPU.


    Asus RoG branded boards are the most resilient on the market by far. Not only are they generally quite feature rich, the components that they are built with are designed to take the beating that overclocking delivers.

    They're the most expensive for a reason, they're the best.


    Anonymous said:
    I think those aren't the most comparable mobos. Unless you compare it to at least the MSI GD65 then the hero is easily better than the GD45 and even then, the hero still beats the GD65 imo although the GD65 is still pretty good value. There is a reason for the price difference between those 2 because with the ROG series you get all the ROG features regardless if you get a hero, gene, extreme, etc... The AI suite, the ramdisk, the memtweak, digicontrol, sonic radar etc... I think are all ROG exclusives or at least ASUS exclusives. The sonic radar is pretty neat as I have used it a few times thus far and is a cool feature for gaming. MSI has a couple of unique utilities for its boards, but not as big of a bundle as is included with the ROG series. The hero also has that onboard audio which means you don't need to buy an extra audio card for good audio performance.

    I have the z87 hero and the only thing it didn't include which may be useful to some is onboard wifi and intel thunderbolt, neither of which I personally needed. Newegg has a 10% off special on the hero right now which makes it just under the $200 mark which is pretty good value imo.


    Thanks man very insightful. Sadly I have been warned not to buy the Motherboard online, since I don't want it to arrive and find its DOA.
  7. WiredMike said:
    Pinhedd said:
    WiredMike said:

    Short: Need help choosing between a ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero and a MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard. Plan on water cooling and over-clocking.

    I have begun to start buying the different components for my computer. So far I have only bought a power supply, a video card, a mouse and a headset, but hey its a start. Now I am at the point in which I have to start buying the core components. (CPU, Motherboard and RAM.)

    Yet I have a major dilemma. I am having issues on deciding what Motherboard I should go with. So far I have narrowed it down to the MSI Z87-G45 and the ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero. I have no real price point so any Motherboard works. (Unless it was extremely pricey.)

    I have read reviews on both boards from multiple sources, and overall both boards are solid, powerful boards. Although I need help choosing the more powerful and technically stable board.

    P.S I plan on overclocking and water cooling my CPU.


    Asus RoG branded boards are the most resilient on the market by far. Not only are they generally quite feature rich, the components that they are built with are designed to take the beating that overclocking delivers.

    They're the most expensive for a reason, they're the best.


    Anonymous said:
    I think those aren't the most comparable mobos. Unless you compare it to at least the MSI GD65 then the hero is easily better than the GD45 and even then, the hero still beats the GD65 imo although the GD65 is still pretty good value. There is a reason for the price difference between those 2 because with the ROG series you get all the ROG features regardless if you get a hero, gene, extreme, etc... The AI suite, the ramdisk, the memtweak, digicontrol, sonic radar etc... I think are all ROG exclusives or at least ASUS exclusives. The sonic radar is pretty neat as I have used it a few times thus far and is a cool feature for gaming. MSI has a couple of unique utilities for its boards, but not as big of a bundle as is included with the ROG series. The hero also has that onboard audio which means you don't need to buy an extra audio card for good audio performance.

    I have the z87 hero and the only thing it didn't include which may be useful to some is onboard wifi and intel thunderbolt, neither of which I personally needed. Newegg has a 10% off special on the hero right now which makes it just under the $200 mark which is pretty good value imo.


    Thanks man very insightful. Sadly I have been warned not to buy the Motherboard online, since I don't want it to arrive and find its DOA.



    Let me guess, Newegg reviews? They're as reliable as the ramblings of a crazy homeless guy.

    All the review sites have given the Maximus VI series top ratings.
  8. I believe, with the UEFI matured, the HERO will get you that last MHz of both the cpu and your ram, but other than that, both boards are quite good.
  9. I just put together my PC. Decided to spend a little more and I got the Hero board.
  10. WiredMike said:
    I just put together my PC. Decided to spend a little more and I got the Hero board.


    good choice mate. I hope that you enjoy it
  11. Great work man u chose the best
  12. Well i have to decide between these two cards too. So how is the Hero doing so far? Are you happy with your purchase?
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Motherboards Components MSI-Microstar