Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Trying to figure out what is causing my computer to freeze.

Last response: in Components
Share
July 15, 2013 9:35:53 PM

I have tried so many things to stop my computer from freezing. I don't know what to do now. Someone please help.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard: MSI M-Power Z77
Graphics Card: EVGA 04G-P4-3688-KR GeForce GTX 680 Classified 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express
Processor: i7 3770k (not overclocked)
RAM: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PV316G160C0K
Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) and 1 TB HDD (currently not used)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N) Black SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Liquid Cooling: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Fans: Using two 200 mm fans on top blowing out air. One 200 mm fan on front taking in air. One 100 mm fan on back taking in air. Also using the fans that come with liquid cooling system to blow air down on the internals of the computer. On the case there is a fan controller which I have set to high.
Monitor: Acer E230H
Virus Protection: Trend Micro Titanium Security

Info on actual computer freeze:
So what happens is... Most of the time the sound can still be heard but it is really distorted and very slow. The screen locks up and ctl-alt-del will not work. Other times, the computer just goes quiet and the only way to get out of the freeze is to wait for the computer to catch back up(which takes a few minutes) or to hard boot the computer. Freezing usually takes place while either watching a video in HD or stream or playing a video game or even downloading a game.

Steps I have taken:
My computer parts are brand new. Not even a month old. I had problems with freezing before and changed out all the parts for these new parts in the past few weeks but the freezing still persists. This is a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium. I have wiped my old hard drive and started fresh.

Questions I have:
Could my computer not be getting enough power to run through the outlet?(I am using a surge protector and I think my room only is supposed to get about 1000w of power)
Could my computer be getting too hot?(During the freeze, it says it is at 50 degrees when i physically look on the motherboard)
Could my internet connection freeze my computer?(I am using a wireless adapter on my computer. D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N PCIe Desktop Adapter)
Could some drivers be not up to date and cause the freezing?(But then why would it be freezing on these new parts and the old)

Final thoughts:
Someone please help. This is pissing me off so much. Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks in advance.
July 15, 2013 9:52:20 PM

GolfinGamer said:
I have tried so many things to stop my computer from freezing. I don't know what to do now. Someone please help.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard: MSI M-Power Z77
Graphics Card: EVGA 04G-P4-3688-KR GeForce GTX 680 Classified 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express
Processor: i7 3770k (not overclocked)
RAM: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PV316G160C0K
Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) and 1 TB HDD (currently not used)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N) Black SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Liquid Cooling: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Fans: Using two 200 mm fans on top blowing out air. One 200 mm fan on front taking in air. One 100 mm fan on back taking in air. Also using the fans that come with liquid cooling system to blow air down on the internals of the computer. On the case there is a fan controller which I have set to high.
Monitor: Acer E230H
Virus Protection: Trend Micro Titanium Security

Info on actual computer freeze:
So what happens is... Most of the time the sound can still be heard but it is really distorted and very slow. The screen locks up and ctl-alt-del will not work. Other times, the computer just goes quiet and the only way to get out of the freeze is to wait for the computer to catch back up(which takes a few minutes) or to hard boot the computer. Freezing usually takes place while either watching a video in HD or stream or playing a video game or even downloading a game.

Steps I have taken:
My computer parts are brand new. Not even a month old. I had problems with freezing before and changed out all the parts for these new parts in the past few weeks but the freezing still persists. This is a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium. I have wiped my old hard drive and started fresh.

Questions I have:
Could my computer not be getting enough power to run through the outlet?(I am using a surge protector and I think my room only is supposed to get about 1000w of power)
Could my computer be getting too hot?(During the freeze, it says it is at 50 degrees when i physically look on the motherboard)
Could my internet connection freeze my computer?(I am using a wireless adapter on my computer. D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N PCIe Desktop Adapter)
Could some drivers be not up to date and cause the freezing?(But then why would it be freezing on these new parts and the old)

Final thoughts:
Someone please help. This is pissing me off so much. Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks in advance.


I am no Professional on this, But I would like to help. I think the Freezing could be your Internet Connection. Are you near your Router at home? Do you have High Speed Internet? Is your Wireless card good? I Highly doubt it's your Power Supply I think you have plenty and it's new. When you play your games, Do you play online? From the sound of it, Everything that's freezing is online right? Did you install all of the Drivers for your PC? Is everything on windows up to date?
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 10:00:32 PM

Peaceguy said:


I am no Professional on this, But I would like to help. I think the Freezing could be your Internet Connection. Are you near your Router at home? Do you have High Speed Internet? Is your Wireless card good? I Highly doubt it's your Power Supply I think you have plenty and it's new. When you play your games, Do you play online? From the sound of it, Everything that's freezing is online right? Did you install all of the Drivers for your PC? Is everything on windows up to date?


I am kinda near my router. Over speedtest.net, I am getting a connection speed of roughly 20-30 mbps download and 8-10 mbps upload. I do play online games. I believe I installed everything and everything is up to date.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 15, 2013 10:21:04 PM

GolfinGamer said:
Peaceguy said:


I am no Professional on this, But I would like to help. I think the Freezing could be your Internet Connection. Are you near your Router at home? Do you have High Speed Internet? Is your Wireless card good? I Highly doubt it's your Power Supply I think you have plenty and it's new. When you play your games, Do you play online? From the sound of it, Everything that's freezing is online right? Did you install all of the Drivers for your PC? Is everything on windows up to date?


I am kinda near my router. Over speedtest.net, I am getting a connection speed of roughly 20-30 mbps download and 8-10 mbps upload. I do play online games. I believe I installed everything and everything is up to date.


Woah thats good mbps lol. Well if everything is fine and updated. Your system is new.. You could press F8 on windows boot and it will load the Repair your computer, Safe Mode, Etc. You could go to repair your computer then click Memory Diagnosis and run that too see if there's any errors. You could run a program called Prime95. A stress test for your computer. Just to see if it freezes in that. Also what are your Computer Temps during the freezing. Also does your computer have any dust?
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 10:39:45 PM

Peaceguy said:
GolfinGamer said:
Peaceguy said:


I am no Professional on this, But I would like to help. I think the Freezing could be your Internet Connection. Are you near your Router at home? Do you have High Speed Internet? Is your Wireless card good? I Highly doubt it's your Power Supply I think you have plenty and it's new. When you play your games, Do you play online? From the sound of it, Everything that's freezing is online right? Did you install all of the Drivers for your PC? Is everything on windows up to date?


I am kinda near my router. Over speedtest.net, I am getting a connection speed of roughly 20-30 mbps download and 8-10 mbps upload. I do play online games. I believe I installed everything and everything is up to date.


Woah thats good mbps lol. Well if everything is fine and updated. Your system is new.. You could press F8 on windows boot and it will load the Repair your computer, Safe Mode, Etc. You could go to repair your computer then click Memory Diagnosis and run that too see if there's any errors. You could run a program called Prime95. A stress test for your computer. Just to see if it freezes in that. Also what are your Computer Temps during the freezing. Also does your computer have any dust?


I have run the memory test diagnosis thing and it passed with no errors. The computer temp that I see on the motherboard itself is around 48-50. I don't know any other temps on the computer. It has a little bit of dust but nothing terrible.
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 10:57:07 PM

GolfinGamer said:
Peaceguy said:
GolfinGamer said:
Peaceguy said:


I am no Professional on this, But I would like to help. I think the Freezing could be your Internet Connection. Are you near your Router at home? Do you have High Speed Internet? Is your Wireless card good? I Highly doubt it's your Power Supply I think you have plenty and it's new. When you play your games, Do you play online? From the sound of it, Everything that's freezing is online right? Did you install all of the Drivers for your PC? Is everything on windows up to date?


I am kinda near my router. Over speedtest.net, I am getting a connection speed of roughly 20-30 mbps download and 8-10 mbps upload. I do play online games. I believe I installed everything and everything is up to date.


Woah thats good mbps lol. Well if everything is fine and updated. Your system is new.. You could press F8 on windows boot and it will load the Repair your computer, Safe Mode, Etc. You could go to repair your computer then click Memory Diagnosis and run that too see if there's any errors. You could run a program called Prime95. A stress test for your computer. Just to see if it freezes in that. Also what are your Computer Temps during the freezing. Also does your computer have any dust?


I have run the memory test diagnosis thing and it passed with no errors. The computer temp that I see on the motherboard itself is around 48-50. I don't know any other temps on the computer. It has a little bit of dust but nothing terrible.


There could be some issues with the registry. Try CCleaner. Download that and it might fix some problems with the registry. It is a new PC but just to make sure. Also 48-50 Degree's Fahrenheit is good so there's no problem with that. This is starting to make me think it has some kind of hardware issue but you said you had this before you added on to your machine.. I will have to research this to figure out the exact problem.
m
0
l
July 15, 2013 11:18:19 PM

Peaceguy said:


There could be some issues with the registry. Try CCleaner. Download that and it might fix some problems with the registry. It is a new PC but just to make sure. Also 48-50 Degree's Fahrenheit is good so there's no problem with that. This is starting to make me think it has some kind of hardware issue but you said you had this before you added on to your machine.. I will have to research this to figure out the exact problem.


I tried CCleaner before I installed all these new parts and it "fixed" some registry problems i guess, but I am not sure if the 48-50 is in Fahrenheit or Celsius. I have not figured out how to do this for 3 years now. Any bit might help.

I am playing Planetside 2 while answering these questions and I now just looked on the motherboard and it says that it is actually at 56 degrees and it could potentially get hotter.
m
0
l
December 13, 2013 10:38:00 PM

I just bought a antec 750 hc gamer and my computer freezes now in the same way its never done that one time in 4 years until after install of psu I ran a asus calibration with my mobo and seems to be running fine now
m
0
l
!