Solved

Computer crashes MOSTLY while playing games

I've been having this problem ever since I bought this custom-made computer off a trusted friend. Which was around 4-5 months ago. The issue that I've been having is that at random, windows freezes up on me, and sometimes crashes. It also crashes on me when I play certain games. For example, I play Left 4 Dead and Gary's mod with no crash "ALMOST" ever, but I can sit and play games like Sanctum, Killing Floor, and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City only for about 5, sometimes 10 minutes before it crashes. The thing i cannot quite put my finger on is that some of the times that I restore my computer completley, the problem seems to be worse. Meaning my computer would freeze up at lot more often that it did right before I did the restore. Also, I have used this Windows 7 disk for multiple computers, and have never had a problem with it. Therefore it cannot be corrupt. Plus the fact that the person I bought the computer from, already had it freshly installed and it also had these issues.

Here's what I have done to try and fix the problem:

- I've done at least 15 complete Windows 7 restores throughout the past few months
- Bought a Brand-new graphics card
- Bought a new hard-drive
- Bought a new battery that goes on the motherboard
- Updated every single driver manually
- Updated windows using Windows Update
- Downloaded multiple programs such as Speedfan and Afterburner to check temperatures (which never passed the normal limit)
- Did every diagnostic that windows provides
- Install Memtest86 onto my flash-drive and went through 2-3 passes
- Throughout my full system restores, I downloaded Bullguard, AVG, and Norton (only one at a time)
- Changed mouse, keyboard, and monitor to see if it was a driver problem of any sort
- And possibly a few other things that I cannot remember at this point


Specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 975 @ 3.33GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.3GHz

Memory: 6144MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

RAM: 6GB (3 sticks, each being 2GB)

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST (Brand-new and installed as of 3days ago)


I know it may seem sad, but I will be very, very grateful if somebody could figure out this solution. Thanks for your time.
25 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer crashes playing games
  1. what psu do you have?
  2. HopelessNoob said:
    what psu do you have?


    I'm not really sure, I forgot. I believe it's 3V, but I do not know for sure. If you really want me to check, I can, but only if I should because I have to take my graphic card out of my computer first.
  3. 3v? you mean the output is 3v?
  4. HopelessNoob said:
    3v? you mean the output is 3v?


    EDIT: Actually, let me look more into it. What part are you talking about specifically?
  5. ohh the power supply not the cmos battery
  6. HopelessNoob said:
    ohh the power supply not the cmos battery


    I didn't install it so I have no idea. I have no idea how to identify it either, I mean I can try and Google it, but I don't see anything on the power supply that would tell me.

    Sorry, i'm new to this stuff.
  7. does your computer crash when it's idle?
  8. HopelessNoob said:
    does your computer crash when it's idle?



    No.
  9. here are my two theories then
    1) the power supply isn't supplying enough power to the computer when under load
    2) something's wrong with your motherboard
    however my second theory is very rare cause usually if the motherboard is bad then your computer wouldn't even boot
    if you could possibly get some information about your psu then that would be of much help!
  10. HopelessNoob said:
    here are my two theories then
    1) the power supply isn't supplying enough power to the computer when under load
    2) something's wrong with your motherboard
    however my second theory is very rare cause usually if the motherboard is bad then your computer wouldn't even boot
    if you could possibly get some information about your psu then that would be of much help!


    Let me turn off my computer and try and look into it a little bit, I will reply as soon as I do. Also, thank you very much for helping me out. This has been a huge hassle for months now.
  11. HopelessNoob said:
    here are my two theories then
    1) the power supply isn't supplying enough power to the computer when under load
    2) something's wrong with your motherboard
    however my second theory is very rare cause usually if the motherboard is bad then your computer wouldn't even boot
    if you could possibly get some information about your psu then that would be of much help!


    I wrote down everything that it said on the side of my Power supply. Ask me anything about it, i'll give you the answer, but here are the things that I think you might ask for.

    Just keep in mind, I have no idea what any of this stuff means, so some of it might not be relevant.


    Logisys:

    ATX 12V/EPS12V
    Duel 12V/P4/P6/P8

    Frequency 50/60Hz

    100~120Vac 10A
    200~240Vac 5A
  12. huh were you able to find a serial number too?

    and how old was the computer before you bought it from your friend?
  13. HopelessNoob said:
    huh were you able to find a serial number too?

    and how old was the computer before you bought it from your friend?


    The Port number is all that it said. Which is ps65ou12
    Also, the computer is maybe 2-3 years old at most.
  14. HopelessNoob said:



    I already tried to look it up on Newegg, mine isn't on there. Mine is green and the fans look different. But that seems to have the same specs as mine does.
  15. yea.... i think when your computer is trying to draw more power when it's under load the power supply isn't doing a sufficient job in feeding the system power therefore causing the crashing i would suggest buying a different power supply
  16. HopelessNoob said:
    yea.... i think when your computer is trying to draw more power when it's under load the power supply isn't doing a sufficient job in feeding the system power therefore causing the crashing i would suggest buying a different power supply


    Does the problems I'm having fit in with that theory? Like, it could make my windows freeze up on me?
  17. Nemesisxy said:
    HopelessNoob said:
    yea.... i think when your computer is trying to draw more power when it's under load the power supply isn't doing a sufficient job in feeding the system power therefore causing the crashing i would suggest buying a different power supply


    Does the problems I'm having fit in with that theory? Like, it could make my windows freeze up on me?


    does it freeze and crash? or does it just freeze and then continue like normal?
    if it freezes and then continues like normal what kind of activity are you doing when that happens?
  18. HopelessNoob said:
    Nemesisxy said:
    HopelessNoob said:
    yea.... i think when your computer is trying to draw more power when it's under load the power supply isn't doing a sufficient job in feeding the system power therefore causing the crashing i would suggest buying a different power supply


    Does the problems I'm having fit in with that theory? Like, it could make my windows freeze up on me?


    does it freeze and crash? or does it just freeze and then continue like normal?
    if it freezes and then continues like normal what kind of activity are you doing when that happens?



    When i'm not playing a game, once in awhile windows freezes up on me and than after maybe, 30 seconds it unfreezes. It doesn't really happen at a specific time. But it's only when I am actually using programs or the start menu.
  19. i feel like if you got a better power supply your problems would vanish
  20. HopelessNoob said:
    i feel like if you got a better power supply your problems would vanish


    What type of power supply would you recommend that I buy?
  21. if you had the money then this would be a good psu
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
    but if you dont plan on upgrading your build then you can settle with a 550w psu
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022
    the 550w fatality psu is the one i use with my i5 560ti 448 and 5 hdds
  22. HopelessNoob said:
    if you had the money then this would be a good psu
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
    but if you dont plan on upgrading your build then you can settle with a 550w psu
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022
    the 550w fatality psu is the one i use with my i5 560ti 448 and 5 hdds


    Alright, I will probably go with one of those. I would like to thank you for helping me out with fixing this problem. Even if it ends up not being the problem, you still took the time out of your day to help me out. Once again, thank you very much.
  23. Best answer
    Nemesisxy said:
    HopelessNoob said:
    if you had the money then this would be a good psu
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
    but if you dont plan on upgrading your build then you can settle with a 550w psu
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022
    the 550w fatality psu is the one i use with my i5 560ti 448 and 5 hdds


    Alright, I will probably go with one of those. I would like to thank you for helping me out with fixing this problem. Even if it ends up not being the problem, you still took the time out of your day to help me out. Once again, thank you very much.


    if you buy it from newegg you can always return it as long as you dont wreck anything (with a "good" reason)

    good luck
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Computers freezing Games Graphics crashing