Help with my FX-8320 overclocking and MB advice?

Awtrace

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
This is the first time I am using this forum so I apologize in advance if I don't post correctly or something.

Basically, I also have an AMD FX-8320 and an MSI 970A-G46 motherboard and would like to Overclock to at least 4GHz but will take 3.8GHz if necessary.

I have a Corsiar H100i Liquid CPU Cooler and it works great. It kept my CPU at around 20C max when idle but eventually it wasn't cooling as well. Lately it's seemed to hold between a 30C and 40C temp when idle. I was advised to clean the dust in my case out with compressed air which I did and then it held a nice low to mid 20C when idle.

Now that is not related to the topic at hand but I will get there. Last week I attempted to Overclock my AMD FX-8320 using the AMD Catalyst CPU Overdrive software. Now, it was working fine while testing the frequencies up to 4.1GHz where it held a 63C temp on a max load.

Here comes my question and the interesting part.

When the frequency test switched from 4.1GHz to 4.2GHz, my Corsair temperature program flipped out (yes I kept it open while running the test because I wanted to keep an eye on the temp). It changed from the default Celsius readings and switched to Fahrenheit reading 200F which is approximately 80C and remember, it was JUST reading 63C. After that, my computer shutdown and wouldn't turn back on. I waited overnight and was advised by a friend to listen for HDD spins and look for lights when I go to turn it on. Well nothing happened. Still wouldn't turn on. He believes it to be the motherboard frying which would make sense so I shipped it to MSI for repair and am waiting for it to be fixed.

Now, the MSI 970A-G46 manual says it can withstand extreme heat and is overclockable and has a nifty little feature call "1sec overclocking". Now if this were true, why did it fry? And is it safe for me to Overclock? If it is, I would like to be given suggestions because I have no idea how multipliers and volt counts work in this instance.

I would also like to Overclock my RAM and GPU( Kingston 4 x 4GB 1333 MHz RAM and a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 GPU). Is that safe? I would like to get a cooling system to cool EVERYTHING (CPU, GPU, RAM and anything else I can use it on) but I also want to be safe.

So here are my main questions. What went wrong in my process of testing overclocking frequencies? What's a safe OC frequency for my setup? How do I set it up? And what advantages am I getting out of OC-ing anything other than my CPU? And finally, any advice in general?

Thank you for your feedback!

Solution
Look i do think your mobo has fried up due to o.c.in plus there would be an issue of uneven volts for it to fry up
For ovrclckin all the parst get a custom built cooling system with atleast the gpu block the cpu block and a 240 mm radiater at least wit a good piping size
For ovrclckin 7850 ati overdrive would do the job with ease
Ovrclkin ram could be done in the bios get a video on that

And i request you to get the custom liquid system and watch some videos before o.cin so that u hv no chance f fryin up

Hope it helped

Dont forgeet to close the post by selecting the best solution
It would be highly appreciated by us
Look i do think your mobo has fried up due to o.c.in plus there would be an issue of uneven volts for it to fry up
For ovrclckin all the parst get a custom built cooling system with atleast the gpu block the cpu block and a 240 mm radiater at least wit a good piping size
For ovrclckin 7850 ati overdrive would do the job with ease
Ovrclkin ram could be done in the bios get a video on that

And i request you to get the custom liquid system and watch some videos before o.cin so that u hv no chance f fryin up

Hope it helped

Dont forgeet to close the post by selecting the best solution
It would be highly appreciated by us

Solution