Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

7950 Awkward Lag In ALL Games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 16, 2013 9:46:19 AM

I bought the 7950 a month ago and it's an amazing card, but now I keep getting "locked frames" in most of my games. (ex. I'm playing Dota 2 and I load in-game, then my frames are locked at 24fps. Also with Cube World, I'm on the start screen with 23-24fps and I click start game and it spikes back up to 100fps.) My temperatures all stay under 55C and notice that my CPU seems to run at 99% when I get this occasional lag. I've heard of something called "bottle-necking" but never really looked into it.


-FX 4100 3.6GHz Quad-Core
-Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC Edition Vapor-X
-8gb RAM 1600MHz
-650W PSU

More about : 7950 awkward lag games

July 16, 2013 9:53:17 AM

hmm is your cpu overclocked or just using the turbo? it seems as if your cpu may be a bottleneck
m
0
l
July 16, 2013 9:56:57 AM

06yfz450ridr said:
hmm is your cpu overclocked or just using the turbo? it seems as if your cpu may be a bottleneck


My CPU isn't overclocked, it's running at it's factory condition. Would you mind going into a little depth with my CPU being a bottleneck? When I look the terms up, I just get a bunch of other forum posts...
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 16, 2013 10:03:31 AM

Gamma2Tech said:
06yfz450ridr said:
hmm is your cpu overclocked or just using the turbo? it seems as if your cpu may be a bottleneck


My CPU isn't overclocked, it's running at it's factory condition. Would you mind going into a little depth with my CPU being a bottleneck? When I look the terms up, I just get a bunch of other forum posts...


your cpu is the slowest part of your system limiting your performance but it should be that weak to cause that low of fps. try disabling the turbo mode in the bios and use the same multiplier as stock. put your vcore around 1.29-1.31 and see if this helps. i found the turbo caused random stuttering on my 6300 when i first had it.

also update your drivers
Share
July 16, 2013 11:44:49 AM

06yfz450ridr said:
Gamma2Tech said:
06yfz450ridr said:
hmm is your cpu overclocked or just using the turbo? it seems as if your cpu may be a bottleneck


My CPU isn't overclocked, it's running at it's factory condition. Would you mind going into a little depth with my CPU being a bottleneck? When I look the terms up, I just get a bunch of other forum posts...


your cpu is the slowest part of your system limiting your performance but it should be that weak to cause that low of fps. try disabling the turbo mode in the bios and use the same multiplier as stock. put your vcore around 1.29-1.31 and see if this helps. i found the turbo caused random stuttering on my 6300 when i first had it.

also update your drivers


Hope I'm not being a bother, but how would I go about changing the Vcore in my BIOS? I have an msi motherboard with the Click Bios. If you mean voltage in vcore, it's currently running at 1.3xx. Thanks for the help!
m
0
l
July 16, 2013 2:42:40 PM

Gamma2Tech said:
06yfz450ridr said:
Gamma2Tech said:
06yfz450ridr said:
hmm is your cpu overclocked or just using the turbo? it seems as if your cpu may be a bottleneck


My CPU isn't overclocked, it's running at it's factory condition. Would you mind going into a little depth with my CPU being a bottleneck? When I look the terms up, I just get a bunch of other forum posts...


your cpu is the slowest part of your system limiting your performance but it should be that weak to cause that low of fps. try disabling the turbo mode in the bios and use the same multiplier as stock. put your vcore around 1.29-1.31 and see if this helps. i found the turbo caused random stuttering on my 6300 when i first had it.

also update your drivers


Hope I'm not being a bother, but how would I go about changing the Vcore in my BIOS? I have an msi motherboard with the Click Bios. If you mean voltage in vcore, it's currently running at 1.3xx. Thanks for the help!



Yes vcore is the voltage. Is it set manually amd is the turbo disabled
m
0
l
July 16, 2013 3:02:23 PM

I downloaded MSI Afterburner and it reset all my settings to default and the spontaneous lagging is now gone... Do you think it could have been an unprofessional overclock? lol
m
0
l
July 16, 2013 3:24:53 PM

Wait your gpu was overclocked. Yes that could be why lol only raise your core clock and not the memory and raise the voltage if needed
m
0
l
July 16, 2013 3:41:49 PM

Make sure you have the latest drivers. First thing to check because it's the simplest.
m
0
l
July 16, 2013 3:46:46 PM

Sapphire use an overclocking software called Trixx if you need to overclock best to use that versus the standard AMD overclocking.

I have a ASUS HD7950 and I use the GPU Tweak software for overclocking it is by far the easiest and most straight forward overclocking software I have seen.
m
0
l
July 17, 2013 12:13:04 PM

Thanks for the info!!! :D 
m
0
l
!