Solved

Dual graphics with amd 3870k apu and sapphire hd radeon 6450

i recently just built a computer for a friend and he wanted me to use the amd 3870k with the sapphire hd radeon 6450. now on the amd apu box it says it supposts this gpu but when i go into AMD VISION Engine Control Center it doesnt show anywhere to crossfire which it says to do on the amd site. so i wasnt wondering if anyone knew anything about this and could help me out.

Thanx.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dual graphics amd 3870k apu sapphire radeon 6450
  1. does his mobo support it?
  2. yep its the gigabyte GA-A75M-S2V. on the site it says it supports it
  3. youll probably lose performance using that gpu vs just the integrated one
  4. really, so is it even possible to crossfire them together?
  5. jobforacowboy said:
    " Crossfire amd 3870k with the sapphire hd radeon 6450" .

    (Sorry i Couldn't Resist)

    Okay lets say that even if you could crossfire those 2 GPU's. The performance increase would be next to none. You shouldn't be looking for crossfire support in the CControl Center. Look for 'Dual Graphics' and enable it.
  6. i checked it, doesn't say anything about dual graphics or crossfire, maybe i should just tell my friend to take out that gpu since there isnt any performance hit with this setup
  7. also on the amd site it says this to enable apu with gpu:

    Once installed, go into the “Performance” section of the AMD VISION Engine Control Center and check the box that says 'Enable Crossfire™' - this will allow the AMD A-Series APU graphics to work in tandem with the select AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 Series GPU installed for increased graphics performance.

    website - http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/dual-graphics/Pages/dual-graphics.aspx#4
  8. jobforacowboy said:
    also on the amd site it says this to enable apu with gpu:

    Once installed, go into the “Performance” section of the AMD VISION Engine Control Center and check the box that says 'Enable Crossfire™' - this will allow the AMD A-Series APU graphics to work in tandem with the select AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 Series GPU installed for increased graphics performance.

    website - http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/dual-graphics/Pages/dual-graphics.aspx#4


    Not worth it.
  9. i get that its not going to have better performance rather than using two discrete gpu's crossfirered together but if there is a slight performance why not do it anyways.
  10. jobforacowboy said:
    i get that its not going to have better performance rather than using two discrete gpu's crossfirered together but if there is a slight performance why not do it anyways.



    It may actually hurt performance using ot the apus gpu is already much faster
  11. well if that's true why would amd advertise better performance with doing this setup?
  12. Best answer
    jobforacowboy said:
    well if that's true why would amd advertise better performance with doing this setup?


    Its a shame why AMD would advertise crossfire at all. AMD crossfire setups cause so much microstuttering and other issues its best to just stay away. Regarding your crossfire inquiry, I advice you to look up benchmarks of the HD6450 and then search up benchmarks of your APU's IGP. Performance difference is that of night and day.
  13. i looked up the benchmarks of the apu igp and the distrete gpu and the apu kills the card in benchmarks. its stupid that amd advertises better performance when really it slows down performance. thanx for your guys help :)
  14. i figured it out how combined both apu igp and gpu. the reason why it wasnt showing up in CCC because in the bios you need to appoint the integrated GPU as your primary graphics adapter then it came up in CCC to enable dual graphics. im going to run my only benchmarks and see if theres a different.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sapphire Graphics AMD Dual HD Radeon