7850 not performing as it should?

Gandhiswingman

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Hi guys,
I have an XFX 7850 2GB DD Black edition and I don't think its performing as well as it should. I know its on the lower levels of high end cards, so I don't expect every game I play to be silky smooth but in some games i feel as though it could perform better.
I always play at 1080p

Here are some of the fps i get in a collection of games:
GTA IV - 50 - 60 Max settings
JC 2 - 40 - 60 Max settings (goes higher when I drop the AA to 4x)
Farcry 3 - 40 - 55 Max settings (AA is 8x)
Metro LL - 40 - 50 Max Settings (With AA on, even at 2x it drops to 20 - 30)

On other games and those above seems that the card can handle high details but not AA. I know AA can be quite tasking, but I've seen reviews were cards worse than mine perform better with 8x AA on and at high detail.

So anyone got any recommendations as to what I could do to improve fps or the likes. Please don't recommend a new card as I ain't got no money.

Thanks

Solution
buh...FX-4170 has bad reputation and I see it now.

At least u should get FX-6300/FX-8350 to pair with this GPU. Your rig seems to have no problems on GPU intensive games.

I think u may be a little bit compulsive-obsessive, I never watch my fps and my motto is: no drags,no problems (Well your merto ll is the problem of course). When I play a large games, go for max settings first, when it drags, I lower the settings. That's why I get on well with FX-6300+HD 6970(Old card though) and i never care my fps and the bad comments from my dudes of my rig.

gOerilla

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
I have the 955 phenom 2 and when i first got it, that was my exact thoguht. That my computer is underperforming. Ive tried overclocking my cpu, and all my games are MUCH better. That card you have is better for overclocking so i suggest try that.

Gandhiswingman

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012

Thats the first thing I did, it's already over clocked to it's limits

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

8x AA is a real performance killer. Drop it down to 4x and see what happens ;)

Maxime506

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
buh...FX-4170 has bad reputation and I see it now.

At least u should get FX-6300/FX-8350 to pair with this GPU. Your rig seems to have no problems on GPU intensive games.

I think u may be a little bit compulsive-obsessive, I never watch my fps and my motto is: no drags,no problems (Well your merto ll is the problem of course). When I play a large games, go for max settings first, when it drags, I lower the settings. That's why I get on well with FX-6300+HD 6970(Old card though) and i never care my fps and the bad comments from my dudes of my rig.

Solution

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

+1 You're just meant to enjoy the game. Wanting a constant 60 fps is bad for your wallet not to mention it turns you into a benchmark freak. You sir have overcome your hardware addiction. I hope to do the same one day after i replace my stupid core 2 duo which has my HD7770 bottlenecked and my 80 gb HDD and get a SSD OMG MY HARDWARE ADDICTION IS KICKING IN

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

+1 You're just meant to enjoy the game. Wanting a constant 60 fps is bad for your wallet not to mention it turns you into a benchmark freak. You sir have overcome your hardware addiction. I hope to do the same one day after i replace my stupid core 2 duo which has my HD7770 bottlenecked and my 80 gb HDD and get a SSD OMG MY HARDWARE ADDICTION IS KICKING IN

Gandhiswingman

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Thanks for your suggestions guys.
I dropped the AA to 2x or completely off on most games and they're perfectly playable, so I'll just leave it at that. So long the detail isn't awful, I'm ok with it.
As for the CPU, I know it is awful, I had no idea at the time and just wanted to build a computer, so I got it as part of a bundle. I was thinking, if I can get some money over the summer, of getting an i5 3570K bundle for £350, with a P8Z77-V LX motherboard and 8GB 'o' RAM Why do you guys think of that? Should I see better performance? or is it not worth it at all?