Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is this normal for a cpu after applying thermal paste?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 16, 2013 5:46:26 PM

Hey all, I just recently ordered a new motherboard, and I had to move my CPU over to this one. So I have never applied thermal paste before, I used Arctic Silver 5, and I read everywhere that with an FX CPU you should just put a small dot in top in the center, and the weight of the heatsink will spread it out. So I started up my computer, and I'm getting idle speeds of around 24C (used to be 13, 14), and whenever I do something light like type this post, it hits 30. The temps are also bouncing around everywhere, like sometimes it'll be 25, and without doing much different, it'll jump to 33 or so, but it's staying pretty stable at around 30, 31C.

So if I did something wrong, or didn't apply enough, or did too much, please let me know! I used a little less than the size of a pea, if that helps. Can't remember too well.

Thanks a lot!

If this is what's supposed to happen, about how long does it take for it to return to normal, and when would it be safe to play games?

I also wiped down both surfaces with rubbing alcohol (91%) before attaching them.

Best solution

July 16, 2013 5:56:23 PM

That's perfectly fine my friend (I wish I had those temps).. Even 40's are good :D .. If you start reaching 50-60's whilst on idle or even 70 whilst gaming, then start worrying.
Share
July 16, 2013 6:00:15 PM

JMCross said:
That's perfectly fine my friend (I wish I had those temps).. Even 40's are good :D .. If you start reaching 50-60's whilst on idle or even 70 whilst gaming, then start worrying.


Well, I mean, my old temps were 13, 14 idle, and playing like Far Cry 3, they'd never go over 50. Will they ever be the same, and also will they ever be stable again? - Thanks
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 180 à CPUs
a c 243 V Motherboard
July 16, 2013 6:08:45 PM

ploxxies said:
JMCross said:
That's perfectly fine my friend (I wish I had those temps).. Even 40's are good :D .. If you start reaching 50-60's whilst on idle or even 70 whilst gaming, then start worrying.


Well, I mean, my old temps were 13, 14 idle, and playing like Far Cry 3, they'd never go over 50. Will they ever be the same, and also will they ever be stable again? - Thanks


Unless you are using some sort of active cooling, or your house temp is below 45 degrees F, or 7 C, that is impossible.
m
0
l
July 16, 2013 6:12:51 PM

ploxxies said:
JMCross said:
That's perfectly fine my friend (I wish I had those temps).. Even 40's are good :D .. If you start reaching 50-60's whilst on idle or even 70 whilst gaming, then start worrying.


Unless you are using some sort of active cooling, or your house temp is below 45 degrees F, or 7 C, that is impossible.


By idle I mean I was on my desktop not doing anything, hopefully we have the same definition. Wish I had screenshots to prove it to you.

Let's just kind of steer this towards the topic, so are these temperatures good?
m
0
l
a c 180 à CPUs
a c 243 V Motherboard
July 16, 2013 6:19:37 PM

In answer to your original question, yes, those temps are fine.

But speaking to your "my old temps were 13, 14 idle"... unless you live in a walk-in fridge, or are using some other refrigeration tech, below ambient temperature cannot happen.
m
0
l
a c 140 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2013 6:20:06 PM

What about your max temperature readings?

You can download Prime95 to conveniently stress test your computer.
m
0
l
July 16, 2013 6:21:19 PM

USAFRet said:
In answer to your original question, yes, those temps are fine.

But speaking to your "my old temps were 13, 14 idle"... unless you live in a walk-in fridge, or are using some other refrigeration tech, below ambient temperature cannot happen.


I'm gonna stop myself from going any further, maybe CPUID was wrong. Don't know. Anyway, thanks for the answer.

I'm also just happy that I applied it, I was pretty nervous, as I have never done this before...
m
0
l
!