Solved Closed

Ping but Can't Browse!

Hi all,

I have a very frustrating issue: I can successfully "ping" website names from the command line, but all of my internet browsers say "page cannot be displayed" or "Server not found."

Machine:
Win7 x64
Dell Inspiron 15

I have tried everything I can think of:

1) Basics: Wifi switch, network cables
2) Repair Adapter
3) Reinstall Drivers
4) Boot in Safe Mode w/ Networking
5) Virus/Malware/Rootkit/Adware Scans
6) Ran Norton Removal Tool (even though I didn't have Norton)
7) ipconfig /release /renew
8) Flush DNS
9) netsh winsock reset
10) No proxies set -> all default obtain automatically.
11) Uninstall all 3rd Party Firewalls/Antivirus, Turn Off Windows Firewall
12) Check hosts.ini has 127.0.0.1 localhost

I think it must be a Windows setting since it still happens in Safe Mode with Networking, but that's just my hunch.

I'm really stuck on this one and would appreciate any help.

Thank you very much!
73 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ping browse
  1. is that the only computer on the network?
  2. Make sure your router set to be dns server. In your pc setting for network make sure your not using a fixed ip or dns. The auto ip and auto dns buttons should be selected. Under networks make sure ipv 4.0 and ipv 6.0 are installed.
  3. curtistoms said:
    Hi all,

    I have a very frustrating issue: I can successfully "ping" website names from the command line, but all of my internet browsers say "page cannot be displayed" or "Server not found."

    Machine:
    Win7 x64
    Dell Inspiron 15

    I have tried everything I can think of:

    1) Basics: Wifi switch, network cables
    2) Repair Adapter
    3) Reinstall Drivers
    4) Boot in Safe Mode w/ Networking
    5) Virus/Malware/Rootkit/Adware Scans
    6) Ran Norton Removal Tool (even though I didn't have Norton)
    7) ipconfig /release /renew
    8) Flush DNS
    9) netsh winsock reset
    10) No proxies set -> all default obtain automatically.
    11) Uninstall all 3rd Party Firewalls/Antivirus, Turn Off Windows Firewall
    12) Check hosts.ini has 127.0.0.1 localhost

    I think it must be a Windows setting since it still happens in Safe Mode with Networking, but that's just my hunch.

    I'm really stuck on this one and would appreciate any help.

    Thank you very much!




    If you can ping a host but not open it in a browser, then I suspect that your browser settings have been compromised. Check for any proxy settings that may have been configured by malware. Furthermore, try using a different browser.
  4. Thank you for your suggestions so far! I really just want to get it figured out...

    So far I can confirm:

    The computer shows this behavior when on a network alone or with other PCs.

    IPv4 & 6 are installed.

    All IP/DNS settings are set to "Auto".

    I have tried both IE and Mozilla Firefox. Even the interactive internet help pages in Safe Mode will not display due the connection issue and windows updates do not work.

    Router is set as DNS server and DNS is working as I can ping www.yahoo.com with successful replies.

    My next steps I will try is to uninstall & re-install the browsers. And then maybe re-set up the router.

    Keep any new suggestions coming! :)

    Thanks
  5. Download to a USB stick malware byte and an updated anti virus to rule them out.
  6. Hi all, just wanted to post an update, as I've found some more information that is "hopefully" useful:

    In the Command Prompt:

    a) ping www.google.com - Works
    b) ping 74.125.237.83 - Works
    c) nslookup www.google.com - Works. Gives a list of Google IP addresses.

    In Firefox's URL bar:

    d) www.google.com - Does not work. Server not found.
    e) 74.125.237.83 - WORKS and takes me to Google page!

    Soooo....this may indeed be a DNS issue. I had initially ruled it out because of (a) above, but now (e) makes me think its DNS. I will contact my ISP to figure out my correct DNS settings and then get back with results...

    Thanks and if anyone knows anything else here that would be great!

    PS - smorizio Thank you for your suggestion; I have already covered this in #(5) from the initial post.
  7. curtistoms said:
    Hi all, just wanted to post an update, as I've found some more information that is "hopefully" useful:

    In the Command Prompt:

    a) ping www.google.com - Works
    b) ping 74.125.237.83 - Works
    c) nslookup www.google.com - Works. Gives a list of Google IP addresses.

    In Firefox's URL bar:

    d) www.google.com - Does not work. Server not found.
    e) 74.125.237.83 - WORKS and takes me to Google page!

    Soooo....this may indeed be a DNS issue. I had initially ruled it out because of (a) above, but now (e) makes me think its DNS. I will contact my ISP to figure out my correct DNS settings and then get back with results...

    Thanks and if anyone knows anything else here that would be great!

    PS - smorizio Thank you for your suggestion; I have already covered this in #(5) from the initial post.


    If you can ping google.com in the command prompt then your ISP settings are fine and your TCP stack is fine. The problem is definitely with your browser configuration.
  8. Best answer
    Curtis
    I don't have a solution.
    But I'd like to know what worked for you if you got it going again in the end.

    I have the exact same issue on the same type of machine (Dell laptop Win7 64bit)
    I too have tried everything I can thing of, vis
    + re-booted my router
    + re-booted my laptop
    + uninstalled and re-installed all 3 driver updates Sujay gave me (which has caused wireless connection to need fixing too)
    + checked DNS server IP address is the same on good and bad computers
    + checked that DNS server and DNS settings for IPv4 are set to "Obtain DNS server automatically" and "Obtain an IP address automatically”
    + Checked these same settings work fine on the other computer
    + Flushed the DMS cache
    + Tried both IE and Chrome
    + Cleared all history form both browsers
    + re-set winsock using: netsh winsock reset catalog (resets winsock entries)
    + re-set TCPIP stack using: netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (resets TCP/IP stack)
    + Done a full virus scan with Trend micro
    + checked that a numeric IP address typed into Chrome address bar does work (IE doesn’t allow this as always adds “http/” which messes it up)
    + Did a system restore to before it happened

    Chrome can display a web page if I type its IP address directly into the browser but anything with a url-type address fails. Hence my Outlook email also fails as the

    Any ideas?
    Thanks a bunch
    Ed
  9. EdSec said:
    Curtis
    I don't have a solution.
    But I'd like to know what worked for you if you got it going again in the end.

    I have the exact same issue on the same type of machine (Dell laptop Win7 64bit)
    I too have tried everything I can thing of, vis
    + re-booted my router
    + re-booted my laptop
    + uninstalled and re-installed all 3 driver updates Sujay gave me (which has caused wireless connection to need fixing too)
    + checked DNS server IP address is the same on good and bad computers
    + checked that DNS server and DNS settings for IPv4 are set to "Obtain DNS server automatically" and "Obtain an IP address automatically”
    + Checked these same settings work fine on the other computer
    + Flushed the DMS cache
    + Tried both IE and Chrome
    + Cleared all history form both browsers
    + re-set winsock using: netsh winsock reset catalog (resets winsock entries)
    + re-set TCPIP stack using: netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (resets TCP/IP stack)
    + Done a full virus scan with Trend micro
    + checked that a numeric IP address typed into Chrome address bar does work (IE doesn’t allow this as always adds “http/” which messes it up)
    + Did a system restore to before it happened

    Chrome can display a web page if I type its IP address directly into the browser but anything with a url-type address fails. Hence my Outlook email also fails as the

    Any ideas?
    Thanks a bunch
    Ed


    Hello,
    I have experienced the same issue and managed track down the problem. It was the system-wide proxy. The reason that ping and tracert are working correctly is because they bypass the system-wide proxy. Internet Explorer and Chrome use the system wide-proxy when making their requests. Open Firefox instead and configure it not to use a proxy or obtain the proxy automatically, and check each time if that fixed it. If you have used a network profiling tool, that needs to change your proxy, which crashed on you and was forcefully closed, it might not have had the change to revert your system-wide proxy, like I have with Fiddler. Next you have to configure your system-wide proxy, http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/675-how-to-configure-proxy-settings-in-windows-7.

    Hope this helps,
    Cos
  10. acos said:
    EdSec said:
    Curtis
    I don't have a solution.
    But I'd like to know what worked for you if you got it going again in the end.

    I have the exact same issue on the same type of machine (Dell laptop Win7 64bit)
    I too have tried everything I can thing of, vis
    + re-booted my router
    + re-booted my laptop
    + uninstalled and re-installed all 3 driver updates Sujay gave me (which has caused wireless connection to need fixing too)
    + checked DNS server IP address is the same on good and bad computers
    + checked that DNS server and DNS settings for IPv4 are set to "Obtain DNS server automatically" and "Obtain an IP address automatically”
    + Checked these same settings work fine on the other computer
    + Flushed the DMS cache
    + Tried both IE and Chrome
    + Cleared all history form both browsers
    + re-set winsock using: netsh winsock reset catalog (resets winsock entries)
    + re-set TCPIP stack using: netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (resets TCP/IP stack)
    + Done a full virus scan with Trend micro
    + checked that a numeric IP address typed into Chrome address bar does work (IE doesn’t allow this as always adds “http/” which messes it up)
    + Did a system restore to before it happened

    Chrome can display a web page if I type its IP address directly into the browser but anything with a url-type address fails. Hence my Outlook email also fails as the

    Any ideas?
    Thanks a bunch
    Ed


    Hello,
    I have experienced the same issue and managed track down the problem. It was the system-wide proxy. The reason that ping and tracert are working correctly is because they bypass the system-wide proxy. Internet Explorer and Chrome use the system wide-proxy when making their requests. Open Firefox instead and configure it not to use a proxy or obtain the proxy automatically, and check each time if that fixed it. If you have used a network profiling tool, that needs to change your proxy, which crashed on you and was forcefully closed, it might not have had the change to revert your system-wide proxy, like I have with Fiddler. Next you have to configure your system-wide proxy, http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/675-how-to-configure-proxy-settings-in-windows-7.

    Hope this helps,
    Cos


    Cos, thanks for that.
    Unfortunately Firefox doesn't work either. I've tried all the possible settings, vis:
    no proxy
    Auto-detect
    Use system proxy settings

    When I check in Internet Options the LAN settings have the proxy option un-ticked
    I don't use dial up of vpn to connect to the internet

    If I select "set up" a new internet connection it tells me I'm already connected (but of course it still can't actually resolve urls) so in practice I have no internet or email on this machine.
    Looks like I'll have to remove everything, reformat and start re-building the whole thing from scratch.
    I should have stuck to XP SP3 which was at least stable!
  11. hello everyone, have you figure out something? i'm having the same problem with: my.kaspersky.com only...
    can ping it from cmd but no browser would open it
    ps: - strange enough that i can open it on my smart phone but not on the tow laptop and two pc's that i have
    - i've tried every idea mentioned in the post
    - i even formatted one pc to roll out malware or virus case
    thanks for your help
    Daif
  12. Daif,
    I finally resolved my problem by re-installing Windows (actually 'upgrading' it so as to avoid having to re-install all my applications). So it was definitely a windows corruption in my case. Yours is different I think. Could it be your laptop and smartphone are set to use a different DNS servers? If so it might be that the laptop DNS server just has a bad entry for Kaspersky? Only thing I can think of I'm afraid.
    Regards
    Ed
  13. Ed
    first of all, thanks for your respond.
    then don't let me talking about ping and cmd fool you that i'm a geek :p
    taking that in consideration and the fact that after all the search and reading that i did, your idea about the DNS sounds the most likely my issue, how can i check that?
    thanks in advance
    Daif
  14. Daif

    On a PC or laptop in Win 7 go to control Panel and,
    Network and Internet
    Right-click your connection to open the properties
    Select TCP/IP v4
    Properties

    There you can select either “Obtain DNS server automatically” or specify an address.
    The default is “obtain automatically” so likely that’s what you have.
    You can change it to 8.8.8.8. which Goggle’s DNS service
    Then see if that makes any difference

    You can likely find out what DNS youe smartphone is using somewhere in it’s menus but I can’t help you with that one.

    Good luck
    Ed
  15. In addition to flushing the DNS, etc. I tried this:

    1) I manually put Google's DNS service in the TCP/IPv4 IP address -not the DNS- and let it choose a default Subnet. Of course, when I tested it NOTHING worked, not even the websites that previously displayed.

    2) I reset the the TCP/IPv4 to automatic, restarted IE, and it's working fine. I think this indirectly reflushed some other settings

    Hardly orthodox, but it fixed the problem. Be sure to close the Internet settings dialog boxes after each switch.

    Good luck to all of you and thanks for the suggestions.

    IELC Lab
  16. Hi everybody!

    I'm having this same issue but occasionally, and had it using a Mac and a Windows laptop too.
    I think it's my modem/router (all in one; my ISP gave it to me) but the only way I found to fix it when the problem starts is to disconnect from the network and connect again.

    I didn't try to write the IP directly to the browser but ping works OK. I will try next time I have the issue.

    I'm thinking in buying a router and use my ISP modem/router just as a modem. I'm pretty sure that's the problem but I can't find a reason yet.

    Cheers!

    UPDATE: ping works fine, but entering the IP in the browser does nothing... same problem... more weird is that I can still browse Facebook, having it opened before the issue started... :??:
  17. I believe the problem causes by either of two reasons:
    1.) TCP stack corrupted.
    for this netsh reset int ip logfile or netsh reset winsock
    should do it.
    If that does not work,
    2.) Some antivirus software blocked access.
    In my case it was McAfee HIPS (Host intrusion prevention service)
    deinstall McAfee Host intrusion prevention worked.
    It is tricky to deinstall the HIPS.
    You need to disable the service first. Go to regedit
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
    Find service and change the "start" DWORD to 4
    restart computer.
    Now in register find GUID of your HIPS
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Uninstall\
    you might have to search displayname to find the HIPS.
    And copy the string value of ModifyPath
    in command prompt paste there with
    MsiExec.exe /X{GUID} REMOVE=ALL
    That will do it.
    It took me good 4 hours on google to find that.

    The interesting part of the story is I have HIPS on for years, I never has that problem before. Could it cause by Win 95 de-supported recently?
  18. Sorry - no sol'n, just another bump of the question...

    I had this problem turn on immediately after running SlimCleaner on my registry and file system. It didn't seem to find much, other than a few FireFox plugins I'd installed and a couple of suspect files in the cache. But when I rebooted and opened FF, every link returned "Server Not Found". Same thing in IE-8. Like curtistoms, I can get a page in FF if I enter its IP address but not if I use its URL. (This doesn't work in IE.) At a command prompt I can use ping and nslookup with either an IP or URL and it works. Other apps and services, like updaters, that connect using an IP address work; those that use a URL, like my Thunderbird mail client, fail in a way consistent with not finding a server.

    The environments is:
    - Platforms: Lenovo E530 Thinkpad running Win7 Home with all updates; homebrew desktop running XP-sp3 with all updates.
    - Browsers: FireFox v23.0.1; IE v11.0.96; MozillaThunderbird mail client v24.4.0.
    - Network: ASUS RT-N66U router, set up as a WAP in pass-through mode, behind a Cisco/TELUS cable box. The ASUS is at 172.16.0.1 and provides DHCP to both computers.

    The desktop and my iPhone both connect and browse successfully.

    Here's what I've tried so far:
    - scan with Malwarebytes, BitDefender and Ad-Aware (files and registry)
    - ipconfig /release /renew
    - flush the DNS cache
    - check for a system proxy - set to 'Auto' (Control Panel>Internet Options>Networking)
    - check for browser proxies - set to 'Auto' (Tools>Options>Network in FF)
    - check HOSTS for anything that shouldn't be there
    - boot into Safe Mode w/ networking
    - disable all virus/malware scanners and all firewalls except the Cisco NAT
    - reset the IP stack (netsh reset int ip resetlog.log)
    - reset Winsock (netsh reset winsock)

    The only things I can think of now are to re-install drivers, then Win7 (update/repair if possible).
    Does anybody have any other ideas?
  19. Same problem here!

    Solved!

    My problem was Avast bloking internet access, after disabling internte active protection, it worked again...

    Using MSE now!!

    Almost two days around this problem!
    Ohh God!!

    Thx for this post
  20. EdSec said:
    Daif

    On a PC or laptop in Win 7 go to control Panel and,
    Network and Internet
    Right-click your connection to open the properties
    Select TCP/IP v4
    Properties

    There you can select either “Obtain DNS server automatically” or specify an address.
    The default is “obtain automatically” so likely that’s what you have.
    You can change it to 8.8.8.8. which Goggle’s DNS service
    Then see if that makes any difference

    You can likely find out what DNS youe smartphone is using somewhere in it’s menus but I can’t help you with that one.

    Good luck
    Ed


    --------

    Thanks Edsec . It worked for me. I typed 8.8.8.8 for DNS server and it worked. I then returned it to automatically and still works
    best Regds
    Hliu
  21. I still have the problem! :(

    The dns thing didn't work for me. My story is that I was able to browser with only chrome, but not ie and firefox. Then I uninstall Constantgaurd, from xfinity, now none of the browsers work but I can ping Google.
  22. Oh my god! why should I find the solution right after my last comment, but after 1 year of having this issue?!
    Ok, so I opened the Norton security suite, installed as part of an xfinity subscription, and in Security section it has somewhere saying "Block all network access". It was unblocked! I then Blocked it and Unblocked it again!
    Now all the browsers work and life seems different! full of opportunities..
  23. mark_2_1 said:
    I believe the problem causes by either of two reasons:
    1.) TCP stack corrupted.
    for this netsh reset int ip logfile or netsh reset winsock
    should do it.
    If that does not work,
    2.) Some antivirus software blocked access.
    In my case it was McAfee HIPS (Host intrusion prevention service)
    deinstall McAfee Host intrusion prevention worked.
    It is tricky to deinstall the HIPS.
    You need to disable the service first. Go to regedit
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
    Find service and change the "start" DWORD to 4
    restart computer.
    Now in register find GUID of your HIPS
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Uninstall\
    you might have to search displayname to find the HIPS.
    And copy the string value of ModifyPath
    in command prompt paste there with
    MsiExec.exe /X{GUID} REMOVE=ALL
    That will do it.
    It took me good 4 hours on google to find that.

    The interesting part of the story is I have HIPS on for years, I never has that problem before. Could it cause by Win 95 de-supported recently?


    Yes it comes out option 2 for me : McAfee Firewall , just turned off all works well. Thanks Everyone
  24. Resolved. Thanks everyone.

    In my case, it appears that the .NET framework is corrupted. Once windows 7 is upgraded, all browsers were able to load pages.

    It took 6 hours for the upgrade though.
  25. Pinhedd said:
    curtistoms said:
    Hi all,

    I have a very frustrating issue: I can successfully "ping" website names from the command line, but all of my internet browsers say "page cannot be displayed" or "Server not found."

    Machine:
    Win7 x64
    Dell Inspiron 15

    I have tried everything I can think of:

    1) Basics: Wifi switch, network cables
    2) Repair Adapter
    3) Reinstall Drivers
    4) Boot in Safe Mode w/ Networking
    5) Virus/Malware/Rootkit/Adware Scans
    6) Ran Norton Removal Tool (even though I didn't have Norton)
    7) ipconfig /release /renew
    8) Flush DNS
    9) netsh winsock reset
    10) No proxies set -> all default obtain automatically.
    11) Uninstall all 3rd Party Firewalls/Antivirus, Turn Off Windows Firewall
    12) Check hosts.ini has 127.0.0.1 localhost

    I think it must be a Windows setting since it still happens in Safe Mode with Networking, but that's just my hunch.

    I'm really stuck on this one and would appreciate any help.

    Thank you very much!




    If you can ping a host but not open it in a browser, then I suspect that your browser settings have been compromised. Check for any proxy settings that may have been configured by malware. Furthermore, try using a different browser.


    thanx. its work.
  26. Being Able to ping website & unable to open in any browser is really frustrating. Well tried a hell lot of options & don't want to reset my windows.

    Finally found one command that set it all straight.

    What to do?

    1. Run Command Prompt as Administrator
    2. Type: netsh winsock reset
    3. It will ask for a restart
    4. Restart & its all working just fine.

    :)
  27. OK the same happened to me and this is how I fixed it.

    Situation-
    I am running a hotspot from my linux machine and was the sharing net (which I was getting through a dongle).

    Solution-
    Manually set the DNS preference of the connected machines to 8.8.8.8 (google's DNS server) or 8.8.4.4 (Also do this for IPv6 if you want).

    Cheers :)
  28. Having same issue and I have tried all of the solutions above.
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent can ping cdw.com. google.com but IE, Firefox & Chrome (all new installs) cannot resolve a website.
    I have a number of desktops running on the same network with the same network settings (gateway, DNS etc.) all static. The desktops can hit the internet through a browser but a number of the servers cannot.
    All computers say they are connected to the internet in network settings.
  29. Hi, i just come here looking for solution but i somehow i figured it out to solve this issue.

    Here how:

    1. Open CMD and type ipconfig /registerdns

    Then my try open your webpage again.
  30. kruks17 solution ... "netsh winsock reset" from cmd/administrator worked for me
  31. I upgraded Win 7 to Win 7 to repair it, and had the same issue. I tried a few of the above solutions, none of them worked, but uninstalling my antivirus. I just uninstalled ESET smart security, and my internet connection works fine now.
  32. I had the same problem and this was resolved after setting the config shown below in my Win 7 laptop:

    Control panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter setting -> right click on connection & click on properties -> TCP/IPv4 - Properties -> Obtain DNS server address automatically

    I was using my laptop in another country after obainting a temporary internet connection and looks the ISP have changed the above setting with preferred DNS server IP and apparently this caused the issue when I returned to my home country.
  33. Hmm.... try this people. Go to Start>Run and type in CMD and press enter. Run these commands.

    C:
    cd "\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc"
    attrib -h -s -r hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
    attrib +r +h +s hosts
    netsh winsock reset all
    netsh int ip reset all

    This should really wipe everything IP/TCP/DNS related, so that would probably fix it. Often, the problem is that the hosts file has been corrupted and, in turn, stops everything from functioning without any real visible signs.. Anyways, good luck.
  34. I did just this:

    + re-set winsock using: netsh winsock reset catalog (resets winsock entries)
    + re-set TCPIP stack using: netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (resets TCP/IP stack)

    Worked!! Thanks EdSec!!
  35. Re: Can Ping, but not browse the Internet . . . . Excellent Response:

    The following steps have restored Internet access from my browsers on two different machines. Thank you


    1) Virus scan with Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware
    2) Full Scan with whatever installed (and updated) Antivirus is installed, we like AVG
    3) Flush DNS
    4) From a command prompt with administrator privileges "netsh winsock reset" - reboot
    5) No proxies set -> all default obtain automatically.
    6) Temorarily disable A/V then Firewall
    7) Check "hosts" file only has 127.0.0.1 localhost and pointing to the server

    So far we have successfully repaired an XP and a Windows 7 Pro computer, We are scheduling a road trip to update a 2003 server with the same issue.

    Thank you

    David Spatz ~ Jertex Networks ~ www.Jertex.com
  36. Hi curtistom

    Try to run Complete Internet Repair. THAT'S ALL!!!


    Regards

    Myk Adorable
    mpadorable@hotmail.com
  37. curtistoms said:
    Hi all,

    I have a very frustrating issue: I can successfully "ping" website names from the command line, but all of my internet browsers say "page cannot be displayed" or "Server not found."

    Machine:
    Win7 x64
    Dell Inspiron 15

    I have tried everything I can think of:

    1) Basics: Wifi switch, network cables
    2) Repair Adapter
    3) Reinstall Drivers
    4) Boot in Safe Mode w/ Networking
    5) Virus/Malware/Rootkit/Adware Scans
    6) Ran Norton Removal Tool (even though I didn't have Norton)
    7) ipconfig /release /renew
    8) Flush DNS
    9) netsh winsock reset
    10) No proxies set -> all default obtain automatically.
    11) Uninstall all 3rd Party Firewalls/Antivirus, Turn Off Windows Firewall
    12) Check hosts.ini has 127.0.0.1 localhost

    I think it must be a Windows setting since it still happens in Safe Mode with Networking, but that's just my hunch.

    I'm really stuck on this one and would appreciate any help.

    Thank you very much!



    "I dont think this is exact solution but it works for me...


    Just Restore your system to earlier "Restore Point" so it may work after that...

    thank u....
  38. i got this problem 5 hours ago but i was unable to fix it i cant open webpages or open steam, origin, skype and etc. what can i do ??? i have tried almost everything. and i did nor install or uninstall any thing it just happened when i came home.
  39. Hello,

    I'm having the same problem and tried all solutions mentioned in this post. ping -t resolves host name just fine and keeps going without packet loss.

    Any browser I'm using (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE, all latest versions) is unable to connect to the Internet. Even using Perl with LWP won't work.

    Using my iPhone as a Personal hotspot... and all works fine! Other devices (iPhones, iPads, computers) using the same wireless router have no problem.

    Any ideas what;s going on?

    Regards,

    Patriick
  40. I have the exact same issue - intermittently - page cannot be displayed (on any browser), but can ping sites no problem. Only way to solve each time is to reboot the machine. I have tried EVERYTHING mentioned on this post and the issue persists. I've had the issue on my laptop (Dell E6540) since I got the machine a year ago - I had it with Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 on the laptop.
  41. my avast was acting up too. disabled avast and browsing worked.
    uninstalled avast completely, reinstalled and browsing worked.
    thanks @edioilha for the tip! :)
  42. I can ping sites through the cmd prompt and see other win7 computers and share files. All browsers time out when I type in standard yahoo or google addresses. A couple of weeks ago I lost Chrome and couldn't browse with it, but IE and firefox still worked. I quit trying to solve that problem after a couple of hours and just quit using Chrome.

    I tried everything mentioned. No success. I switched off the windows firewall and it still didn't work. All netsh comments were completed but I still couldn't see browse with any browsers.

    The issue was with bitdefender and an update that was made.. Rather than uninstall bitdefender through add/remove programs, there was an option to repair. These solutions don't usually work but this time it did and now I can browse.

    Advice: Try the netsh options since they are pretty fast. If that doesn't work, you should reinstall or repair your antivirus before getting to sophisticated with resolving the issue.
  43. I have been able to successfully ping a site but I haven't been able to get on it.
  44. kruks17 said:
    Being Able to ping website & unable to open in any browser is really frustrating. Well tried a hell lot of options & don't want to reset my windows.

    Finally found one command that set it all straight.

    What to do?

    1. Run Command Prompt as Administrator
    2. Type: netsh winsock reset
    3. It will ask for a restart
    4. Restart & its all working just fine.

    :)


    Anonymous said:
    kruks17 solution ... "netsh winsock reset" from cmd/administrator worked for me

    :):bounce::pt1cable::wahoo::love:
    Hey man I really can't describe my feelings now! I don't know what to say!
    The only thing exist in my mind is you saved my life man, I can't live without internet! thank you, thanks god! :):bounce::pt1cable::wahoo::love:

    just typed in command prompt:
    netsh
    winsock
    reset
    => and magic happened and save my life :)

    :):bounce::pt1cable::wahoo::love:

    _________
    my problem description was:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2422087/weird-internet-connectivity-problem.html
  45. Using the netsh winsock reset method didn't work for us. We followed a guide that suggested using HitmanPro. It found corrupt data in the winsock and deleted it.
  46. I had a similar issue. The first time I came accross it I ended up restoring to factory settings. It turns out the windows updates that were done or another update at the same time installed a cisco vpn client. msconfig could not disable the service so despite my best efforts I had to disable it via the registry. That resolved the issue.

    Hopefully this will help someone else.
  47. Aaarrrrggghhhh!!!!!

    Disabled Avast anti virus and HayPresto!!!!! :bounce:

    4 hours of tearing my hair out!

    Thank god for that - really didn't want to re-install windows!
  48. I was having a similar issue.

    DLINK Router. If i connected directly to modem it was not problem, but wireless and direct connections to the router could not browse the internet.

    I could ping google.com from the router interface, but not from the command line.
    I was able to ping 64.233.177.113 (a google site) from the command line but ping google.com would fail the lookup.

    SOLUTION
    Restored router to factory settings and reconfigured. All seems to be working now. hth.
  49. Hello, Matthew Brown,
    Your solution solved my problem.
    You suggested:
    Go to Start>Run and type in CMD and press enter. Run these commands.
    C:
    cd "\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc"
    attrib -h -s -r hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
    attrib +r +h +s hosts
    netsh winsock reset all
    netsh int ip reset all


    Thank you a lot. Actually my girl cousin thanks you also; because her PC had the problem. Behavior was like this: typing www.google.com showed page cannot be displayed, ping in www.google. com did not work (cannot find host), ping in IP of google is ok, browsing from mobile phone on WiFi is ok, reset pc and set DNS to 8.8.8.8 did not solve.
    But your solution solved it. Many thanks again. Yeni and Isra, Romania
    PS: If not logged in as Administrator, in start/Accessrories/righ click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator. And then type the commands.
Ask a new question

Read More

Networking