Solved

New Gaming Build - $500

I am looking to build a decent gaming rig to Play Saints row the 3rd, Left 4 Dead 2, and Call of Duity Ghost when it comes out. I have a budget of around %500 but I already have Monitors and a copy of Windows. Any Suggestions?
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming build 500
  1. what country?
  2. envy14tpe said:
    what country?


    United States
  3. Best answer
    Here you go - PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($90.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.13 @ TigerDirect)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.49 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($190.70 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $503.27
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-17 11:14 EDT-0400)

    If you miss the DVD drive that what I would lean towards , else get this - PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($90.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.13 @ TigerDirect)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $508.05
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-17 11:21 EDT-0400)
  4. This is the best build for 500 dollars. It is very capable in gaming. And the CPU is very much overclockable, which means that few weeks later you can grab a good CPU cooler for like 30 bucks and overclock this CPU to get lot better performance out of it. So it is a definite buy.



    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($56.00 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.98 @ PCM)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($170.00 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.00 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $497.93
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-17 11:24 EDT-0400)

    If you think that the answer helped, then don't forget to select it as the best answer. It would be highly appreciated by me.
  5. CommentariesAnd More said:
    Here you go - PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($90.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.13 @ TigerDirect)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.49 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($190.70 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $503.27
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-17 11:14 EDT-0400)

    If you miss the DVD drive that what I would lean towards , else get this - PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($90.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.13 @ TigerDirect)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $508.05
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-17 11:21 EDT-0400)


    I like your first build with the 7870. It's faster than the 660 and will game better. Also, the Phenom II is a beast!

    Phenom II X4 over Athlon II X4 anyday.
  6. Sangeet Khatri said:
    This is the best build for 500 dollars. It is very capable in gaming. And the CPU is very much overclockable, which means that few weeks later you can grab a good CPU cooler for like 30 bucks and overclock this CPU to get lot better performance out of it. So it is a definite buy.


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($56.00 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.98 @ PCM)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($170.00 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.00 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $497.93
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-17 11:24 EDT-0400)

    If you think that the answer helped, then don't forget to select it as the best answer. It would be highly appreciated by me.


    Stop posting case pictures, it's annoying.
  7. envy14tpe said:
    Sangeet Khatri said:
    This is the best build for 500 dollars. It is very capable in gaming. And the CPU is very much overclockable, which means that few weeks later you can grab a good CPU cooler for like 30 bucks and overclock this CPU to get lot better performance out of it. So it is a definite buy.


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($56.00 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.98 @ PCM)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($170.00 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.00 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $497.93
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-17 11:24 EDT-0400)

    If you think that the answer helped, then don't forget to select it as the best answer. It would be highly appreciated by me.


    Stop posting case pictures, it's annoying.


    Yeah , just like this guy :P
  8. Don't forget a CPU cooler like the Cooler Master Evo or 212+.
  9. Here a build with both of the things -
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($90.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.98 @ PCM)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($190.70 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $516.61
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-17 12:08 EDT-0400)

    I hope you liked it , thanks envy14tpe for the best answer :)
  10. As long as i am not breaking any forum rules, you cannot stop me from posting pictures of the case.

    If i am breaking some rule, then that is another thing..
  11. This is CommentariesAnd More's build, but I added a cooler and upgraded mobo a bit.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($90.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.98 @ PCM)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($190.70 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $561.59
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-17 12:36 EDT-0400)
  12. Here's something with the GTX 660Ti as well -
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($90.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.97 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $545.88
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-17 12:48 EDT-0400)

    There's only 4GB of RAM , but you can add more later on , I can game on high using 4GB of 1333MHz of RAM. I see no reason why you can't. The extra 30 bucks you spend now will result in a 15-30% boost in games later on and you won't regret it. Upgrade RAM when you have the money and need to do so.
    EDIT - added a CPU cooler as well ( envy14tpe said ). If you arent in to OCing a Hyper TX3 is just good.If you want some mild OCing , get a Hyper 212 EVO though.
  13. I gotta keep enforcing the fact he needs a cooler for that CPU. If he/she buys the 965 then he/she better overclock it!

    I'd like to see this build bump up to $550.
  14. Sangeet Khatri said:
    As long as i am not breaking any forum rules, you cannot stop me from posting pictures of the case.

    If i am breaking some rule, then that is another thing..


    We just said it because we don't like it. Also I have something to say bout your signature , The condition of Tech in India isn't bad at all. Just the case that no one out here is into PC building. I am 14 and I do it , I won't call myself a geek but sure a lot of guys around me do. Its the case of personal preference. Else I know alot of guys who are into Smartphones and tablets. By saying that the condition is bad , indirectly you are trying to show how smart you are right ? Thats just not the case. Also this isn't a rule breaking , just my honest opinion.
  15. envy14tpe said:
    I gotta keep enforcing the fact he needs a cooler for that CPU. If he/she buys the 965 then he/she better overclock it!

    I'd like to see this build bump up to $550.


    I think
    GTX 660Ti + Stock 965BE > GTX 660 + 965BR OCed to 4.3GHz
    Plus the Phenoms reach so high on OC , you can have a microwave with a couple of those. Also the OP didn't mention about OCing. The GTX 660Ti is a stripped down GTX 670 which is a more stripped down GTX 770 / GTX 680. ( The GTX 770 is rebranded GTX 680 with higher clocks speed )
  16. Okay, so you guys are mocking me for no reason. Go ahead.. I don't give a f*ck!!
  17. envy14tpe said:
    This is CommentariesAnd More's build, but I added a cooler and upgraded mobo a bit.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($90.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.98 @ PCM)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($190.70 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $561.59
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-17 12:36 EDT-0400)


    I can possibly nudge up to $600 if needed $650 would be my absolute max.
  18. This build is designed to overclock, when you are ready to learn. Also, it'll play games on 1080p on Ultra. It'a an excellent build for the price.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($90.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.98 @ PCM)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $588.87
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-17 14:04 EDT-0400)
  19. Here's a better build for the money -
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.97 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($255.66 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $650.55
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-17 14:11 EDT-0400)

    The FX-6300 will have you covered especially in BF4 , etc. The extra 2 cores will be much better and is some future proofing. Also the GTX 760 is a bit tad better than the GTX 660Ti. If you cant get this one , get envy14tpe's build , which also awesome for the money
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Build Systems