Solved

What Graphics Card Can I Purchase that would be compatible?

Hello,
I am trying to purchase a graphics card or my Desktop, but when it comes to compatibility I wouldn't want to risk purchasing one from the knowledge I have right now, I would appreciate any help.

I am trying to get a decent graphics card specifically for gaming, my computer specs are below:

Processor: Intel Quad Core 2/ 2.50GH
RAM: 4GB
OS: 64Bit (Windows 7)
Current Graphics Card: Radeon 5450 ATI (Standard)
Model: Aspire M3802/Acer
Power Supply: 6Pin PCI-E 500W/ Dual 12V Rail (Recently Purchased)

The only slot on the motherboard I can see says PCI-E Gen.2 next to it, I don't think I have an x16slot (I'm not great With computers)

I would be grateful for anyone's input on which sort of Graphics Card I should buy, also anything additional I should be looking at buying next for the gaming side of things.

-Thanks.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card purchase compatible
  1. What is your budget? Also, what games/applications do you intend to use?

    BTW, that slot you mention is an x16 slot.
  2. COLGeek said:
    What is your budget? Also, what games/applications do you intend to use?

    BTW, that slot you mention is an x16 slot.


    Hello,

    I am not really up on the latest technology I wouldn't really want to spend more than £150 as I want to start customizing my computer fully. I intend to (be able) to play the latest games for the next 2,3 years which would include games such as battlefield, the new arma & sims etc. Which I guess would take up a lot of room on my Hard drive.
  3. I'd go with a Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti Boost http://amzn.to/16Ntbvf
  4. Best answer
    Here is an option as well: http://www.misco.co.uk/product/Q583568/PNY-GeForce-GTX650-Ti-1GB-PCI-Express-Graphics-Card

    Any stronger card would be overkill given your C2D CPU.

    You could also consider this AMD solution: http://www.misco.co.uk/product/193899/Sapphire-Radeon-HD7850-2GB-PCI-Express-Graphics-Card
  5. COLGeek said:
    Here is an option as well: http://www.misco.co.uk/product/Q583568/PNY-GeForce-GTX650-Ti-1GB-PCI-Express-Graphics-Card

    Any stronger card would be overkill given your C2D CPU.

    You could also consider this AMD solution: http://www.misco.co.uk/product/193899/Sapphire-Radeon-HD7850-2GB-PCI-Express-Graphics-Card


    thanks . stupid question but what do you mean by thesolution of having an "amd" what is the difference between the to?
  6. One is a Nvidia based video card and the other is an AMD (formerly ATI) based solution....
  7. Both Nvidia and AMD make great cards. Some are better than others and cost is also a factor in the equation. If you want the best card for the money the GTX 760 http://amzn.to/15J0OZX holds that title right now.
  8. COLGeek said:
    One is a Nvidia based video card and the other is an AMD (formerly ATI) based solution....


    I have decided to go with the amd card. Thanks for your input I appreciate it.
  9. You are welcome! Have fun!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Compatibility Graphics