Solved

PCI-E 3.0 x16 and PCI-3 2.0 x16

I was wondering, I was planning on buying an EVGA Gtx 760 super clocked

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932

and its listed as a PCI-E 3.0 x16 and my mother board has a PCI-E 2.0 x16

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4122#ov

I was wondering If I could still use this graphics card in it? or would I have to find a PCI-E 2.0 x16 compatible graphics card.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about pci x16 pci x16
  1. The card is backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0. It will work on your board.
  2. yep. besides there isn't a video card built that will bottleneck on a 2.0 x16 slot.
  3. slomo4sho said:
    The card is backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0. It will work on your board.


    Now I have one more question, is it worth it? I currently have a GTX 550Ti (which obviously the 760 is better) Would it be worth upgrading to the 760?

    My PC build

    Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
    Processor: AMD FX 4100 @ 3.8GHz
    Ram: 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1600
    GPU: Gtx 550 ti
    PSU: Coolermaster 550 W (I believe) If needed I can actually check.
  4. the 760 is approximately x4 the gpu the 550ti is. so i'd say it would be worth it. So would getting a better cpu... like a FX 6300... you can have one of those for $115
  5. ingtar33 said:
    the 760 is approximately x4 the gpu the 550ti is. so i'd say it would be worth it. So would getting a better cpu... like a FX 6300... you can have one of those for $115


    and a PSU? do I need one? or am I good there.
  6. Wyattttt said:
    and a PSU? do I need one? or am I good there.


    95W cpu, 200W gpu... yeah. i'd say a 500W psu is alright unless it's a junky 500W psu. not a fan of coolmaster psus, but they generally make them good enough to handle that type of load.
  7. ingtar33 said:
    yep. besides there isn't a video card built that will bottleneck on a 2.0 x16 slot.


    The Titan does a little bit.
  8. ihog said:
    ingtar33 said:
    yep. besides there isn't a video card built that will bottleneck on a 2.0 x16 slot.


    The Titan does a little bit.


    nope. not even a 690 will. a titan and 690 will bottleneck a little bit with a pci-e 2.0 x8 slot. (5%-10%) but not on a x16 slot.
  9. Best answer
    Wyattttt said:
    Now I have one more question, is it worth it? I currently have a GTX 550Ti (which obviously the 760 is better) Would it be worth upgrading to the 760?

    My PC build

    Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
    Processor: AMD FX 4100 @ 3.8GHz
    Ram: 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1600
    GPU: Gtx 550 ti
    PSU: Coolermaster 550 W (I believe) If needed I can actually check.


    If you are running onto performance issues in the games you are playing then it would be worthwhile to upgrade the GPU. Otherwise stay where you are at :) Also, as suggested above, you may want to upgrade your CPU now or down the line to prevent bottlenecking if you go with the GTX 760. I would personally recommend waiting on upgrading the CPU until the end of this year and going with a steamroller processor over a piledriver.


    ihog said:
    The Titan does a little bit.

    No current generation card can completely saturate PCIe 2.0 x16, Titan is no exception.
  10. slomo4sho said:
    Wyattttt said:
    Now I have one more question, is it worth it? I currently have a GTX 550Ti (which obviously the 760 is better) Would it be worth upgrading to the 760?

    My PC build

    Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
    Processor: AMD FX 4100 @ 3.8GHz
    Ram: 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1600
    GPU: Gtx 550 ti
    PSU: Coolermaster 550 W (I believe) If needed I can actually check.


    If you are running onto performance issues in the games you are playing then it would be worthwhile to upgrade the GPU. Otherwise stay where you are at :) Also, as suggested above, you may want to upgrade your CPU now or down the line to prevent bottlenecking if you go with the GTX 760. I would personally recommend waiting on upgrading the CPU until the end of this year and going with a steamroller processor over a piledriver.


    ihog said:
    The Titan does a little bit.

    No current generation card can completely saturate PCIe 2.0 x16, Titan is no exception.



    Thanks man :) so yes its safe getting the 760? and itll run fine in my current CPU. Then later on down the line ill upgrade it to something better when I have money. Because I just got a job!
  11. Wyattttt said:
    Thanks man :) so yes its safe getting the 760? and itll run fine in my current CPU. Then later on down the line ill upgrade it to something better when I have money. Because I just got a job!


    yep; have fun and good luck with the new job!
Ask a new question

Read More

EVGA PCI Express PCI Motherboards Graphics Gtx