Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

CPU switch possible?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Socket
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2013 10:24:14 AM

Can I switch CPUs of the same socket without causing system/OEM Windows issues? I currently use an i3-2100 system, however there is a machine I could swap CPUs with that has an i5-2400S (I know it's only a slight improvement, but it would be a free upgrade). I'm just wanting to switch out CPUs and continue using my current machine, but I'm not sure if there are system consequences with OS or anything. Any help on this would be great, thanks!

More about : cpu switch

a c 89 à CPUs
July 17, 2013 10:31:42 AM

Yes, as long as it is only the CPU. Just make sure the mobo supports it (mostly if your computer is a pre-built).
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 248 à CPUs
July 17, 2013 10:43:27 AM

As long as your current motherboard is compatible with the new CPU, you will be fine. The OEM license is tied to the motherboard, not the CPU itself.

Also, make sure to clean and use new thermal compound when swapping the CPUs into the respective systems.

Good luck!
Share
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2013 10:47:41 AM

Thanks folks, follow up question: the i3 is at 3.10Ghz, while the i5 is at 2.50Ghz with 3.30Ghz Turbo, however, the i3 has a 3MB cache while the i5 has a 6MB cache. Worth the switch?
m
0
l
a c 248 à CPUs
July 17, 2013 10:59:09 AM

Under load (like when gaming) the i5 will be stronger. Sure (since free), the swap is an improvement.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2013 11:09:22 AM

COLGeek said:
Under load (like when gaming) the i5 will be stronger. Sure (since free), the swap is an improvement.


Awesome, thanks!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2013 11:16:29 AM

ACTechy said:
Thanks folks, follow up question: the i3 is at 3.10Ghz, while the i5 is at 2.50Ghz with 3.30Ghz Turbo, however, the i3 has a 3MB cache while the i5 has a 6MB cache. Worth the switch?


use an aftermarket cooler to keep the i5 in turbo.. it is quite an upgrade for games,
The cpu passmark for the I3 is 3621,
' ' ' ' ' ' for the I5 2400s its 4820.
or pluss THIRTY THREE Percent cpu performance.
Very worthwhile indeed,
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2013 11:50:01 AM

chriss000 said:
ACTechy said:
Thanks folks, follow up question: the i3 is at 3.10Ghz, while the i5 is at 2.50Ghz with 3.30Ghz Turbo, however, the i3 has a 3MB cache while the i5 has a 6MB cache. Worth the switch?


use an aftermarket cooler to keep the i5 in turbo.. it is quite an upgrade for games,
The cpu passmark for the I3 is 3621,
' ' ' ' ' ' for the I5 2400s its 4820.
or pluss THIRTY THREE Percent cpu performance.
Very worthwhile indeed,


For sure, good points!
m
0
l
a c 89 à CPUs
July 18, 2013 4:00:14 AM

You don't need an aftermarket cooler.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2013 5:38:35 AM

ihog said:
You don't need an aftermarket cooler.


Will it keep in turbo on a hot day on four cores with a standard Intel orb?
m
0
l
a c 89 à CPUs
July 18, 2013 1:17:51 PM

That's what the stock cooler is for. Turbo is taken into account.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2013 6:48:31 AM

ihog said:
That's what the stock cooler is for. Turbo is taken into account.


Well, bless my cotton socks! All those aftermarket coolers are a waste of time, and intel neednt have bothered setting turbo boost to work according to thermal dynamic headroom at all, they should have just set the chip to run at 3.3 gig all the time because the standard cooler is more than adequate.
m
0
l
a c 89 à CPUs
July 19, 2013 12:24:01 PM

They aren't a waste of time, obviously. I have a water cooling loop in my rig. But he won't need to spend the extra money for an aftermarket cooler unless he wants less noise. And I wouldn't say it is more than adequate; the stock cooler is simply adequate.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2013 2:10:25 PM

ihog said:
They aren't a waste of time, obviously. I have a water cooling loop in my rig. But he won't need to spend the extra money for an aftermarket cooler unless he wants less noise. And I wouldn't say it is more than adequate; the stock cooler is simply adequate.


So intel wasted all that effort with the thermal headroom calculations and the turbo boost because it will run 4 cores x 3.3 gig 100% of the time on a $4 cooler anyway?
m
0
l