1500-2000$ Desktop Build for...

Nathaniel Waggoner

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I've built computers in the past (about 5-6 years ago), but I wanted to post here for some advice.

I need to build a system for a number of purposes, ranked below. My budget is between 1.5k and 2k, with the deal being that I'd like to spend less, but can spend more if there's a valid reason to do so.

Purchase Date: ASAP
Budget 1.5k-2k
Needs (in order of importance):

1. Software Development. Key here is dual (or more) monitor support.

2. Audio Production, Engineering
Gaming (these are all of equal importance).
Overclocking: Maybe (prefer not to, but might someday if I'm bored).
Externals: I don't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse or other items. I might get a high end monitor later on, but ATM i'm just looking for a great box.

Also - if anyone could provide some links to guides on the build process itself I would appreciate it. Like I said I've done it in the past, and I'm sure I can find some resources myself, but if you have a good information source that you think is trustworthy I would prefer to start there.

I'll try and put together my own build this evening (after work), and post here for comments.

Thanks everyone, let me know if I can provide further information!

Edit: Just saw the Step-By-Step building guide. I'll assume that's solid for the act of building the box itself. Still could use the components advice!

Solution
The best guide I have found is Newegg's video guide (3 parts) on youtube. Since it is a video, stuff is clear and awesome.

For dual good monitors, I'd simply recommend a good modern GPU. Anything. For cost/perf reasons, I'd recommend midi range AMD cards. Take your pick. 7850- good. 7870- great. 7950- amazing. Skip dual cards.

For Audio production, I'd recommend, ignoring sound gimmicks, and buying a dedicated DAC, and connecting it to the mobo spdif output. Schiit products are awesome for this.

Dual boot. Any good mobo, no problemo. Buy two drives

Drives. You really want SSDs, a couple of 125GB drives. Plextor M5S is one of the very best. 79 bucks at your local Rockville Microcenter. (near me!)

CPU, go with a 4770k. For software...

mastrom101

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus H87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($127.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($119.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair Neutron Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($155.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($124.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1631.46
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-17 16:36 EDT-0400)

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
The best guide I have found is Newegg's video guide (3 parts) on youtube. Since it is a video, stuff is clear and awesome.

For dual good monitors, I'd simply recommend a good modern GPU. Anything. For cost/perf reasons, I'd recommend midi range AMD cards. Take your pick. 7850- good. 7870- great. 7950- amazing. Skip dual cards.

For Audio production, I'd recommend, ignoring sound gimmicks, and buying a dedicated DAC, and connecting it to the mobo spdif output. Schiit products are awesome for this.

Dual boot. Any good mobo, no problemo. Buy two drives

Drives. You really want SSDs, a couple of 125GB drives. Plextor M5S is one of the very best. 79 bucks at your local Rockville Microcenter. (near me!)

CPU, go with a 4770k. For software development. This would probably go the smoothest.

Why do I list so vaguely mostly, with no concrete list? Because they are all similar stuff, and goes down to personal bias and preference. Go to microcenter, and buy what is cheapest/ what look best.

Solution

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Finally,

Your PC will turn out to be a monster. But it will have so much potential idling for nothing while you don't push it. So much potential that could be used for good...

Folding@Home is a "distributed computing" project. It lets users "donate" their unused computing power to help disease research in critical areas such as Cancer and Alzheimer's. Do the world, the future, and maybe you yourself some good by at least checking it out. Link here. http://folding.stanford.edu/

Moral things aside. Many performance enthusiasts love to compare how well their PC is by showing their points tally for folding. Tom's Hardware has its own team right here! Come in and comment! http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1580785/folding-home-thgc-team-40051/page-173.html