Solved

I'm thinking about getting a GTX 460 for my build. Will this PSU do the job?

The Question

As far as I can tell, with 25A on the 12V rail, and it being more than 500W, it looks like it could handle my build. I don't know a lot about PSUs so I don't know for sure. Does this work with the future build?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170017

My current build

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-core E5300 @ 2.60 GHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR2-800 (6GB are GDDR2)
Mobo: DG35EC
Video Card: GeForce GT 440 1GB (Small overclock)
PSU: PS550A-BK (550W, no 6-pin connectors though ><)
HDD: 1.5TB 7200 RPM Barracuda

Future Build?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16 GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR2-800 (6GB GDDR2)
Mobo: DG35EC
Video Card: GeForce GTX 460 1GB
PSU: PS575XBK (575W, with 2 6-pin connectors)
HDD: 1.5TB 7200 RPM Barracuda

Additional Comments

Answering the question takes priority to me. I would be very appreciative if you held your alternative recommendations after answering the initial question.
Also, if you don't know much at all about PSUs, try not to recommend (For example) a PSU with a high amount of watts, just because it has a lot of watts.

Thank you for your time. :)
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about thinking gtx 460 build psu job
  1. Best answer
    I would not use that psu.
    I think it is a Logitech unit which is a tier 5 (not recommended, replace asap) unit on this list:
    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
    The GTX460 is an older card that is more power hungry and needs 2 6 pin pcie connectors.
    Yes, you could use several molex to 6 pin adapters, but if the psu were capable, it would have included those leads in the first place.
    If a cheap psu gets overloaded and fails, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
  2. I am assuming that you are upgrading your current build. Otherwise, I would not do a new build with those parts.
    Looking at the link you supplied, note that 1/3 of the feedback is 0 0r 1. Unacceptable.

    About the cheapest psu I can think of with decent quality might be the Corsair cx500 at $40 after rebate.
    Note that the 500w corsair can deliver 38a, while he logisys 575w does only 25(and might be lying at that)
  3. geofelt said:
    I would not use that psu.
    I think it is a Logitech unit which is a tier 5 (not recommended, replace asap) unit on this list:
    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
    The GTX460 is an older card that is more power hungry and needs 2 6 pin pcie connectors.
    Yes, you could use several molex to 6 pin adapters, but if the psu were capable, it would have included those leads in the first place.
    If a cheap psu gets overloaded and fails, it can destroy anything it is connected to.


    Thanks for your response. You're referring to the brand, correct? I have a Logisys PSU at the moment. I've used it since 2008 without any issues. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it could handle a GTX 460 right now. (If it of course had two 6-pin connectors). Was I lucky with my PSU, or is the brand for PSUs a misconception?
  4. There's no proof that the PS575XBK is able to deliver the power outputs specified on its label.

    Nowhere does it state if that is rated continuous power or peak power output.

    If that were a real 575 Watt PSU built on a modern circuit design it would be able to put out 46 Amps on its +12V rail.
  5. ko888 said:
    There's no proof that the PS575XBK is able to deliver the power outputs specified on its label.

    Nowhere does it state if that is rated continuous power or peak power output.


    Okay, that's a decent explanation I suppose.

    ko888 said:
    If that were a real 575 Watt PSU built on a modern circuit design it would be able to put out 46 Amps on its +12V rail.


    A CX500 doesn't put out 46 amps on its +12V rail, and it's considered a great PSU for cards with much more power usage.
  6. trogdor8freebird said:
    ko888 said:
    There's no proof that the PS575XBK is able to deliver the power outputs specified on its label.

    Nowhere does it state if that is rated continuous power or peak power output.


    Okay, that's a decent explanation I suppose.

    ko888 said:
    If that were a real 575 Watt PSU built on a modern circuit design it would be able to put out 46 Amps on its +12V rail.


    A CX500 doesn't put out 46 amps on its +12V rail, and it's considered a great PSU for cards with much more power usage.


    A CX500 is able to put out 38 Amps continuous on its +12V rail.

    The 575 Watt PS575XBK is only able to put out 25 Amps.

    This shows that the Logisys PS575XBK is based on an old obsolete circuit design meant for use in old systems from 10 years ago where most of the power was being drawn from the +5V and +3.3V rails.

    A modern system draws most of its power from the +12V rail and that's why it is considered the most critical rail.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Graphics Cards Build Components