Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

High pitch noise, cpu area

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
July 18, 2013 5:28:26 AM

Hiya,

I bought a new pc around december 2012, since then i've been having a high pitch noise coming from my pc, around the cpu area.

What i've tried so far to determine what could be causing the noise:
Disconnect everything that's not important, the noise appears in the BIOS as well so only the psu, gpu and cpu were powered. The noise was still there.

I contacted gigabyte because i figured it was the motherboard, one of their marketing people contacted me and i could drive to them to switch it for a new one. This did not fix it.

I tried using another psu, this didn't fix it either.

My ram died shortly after i got my new pc so i bought new ram. It wasn't the cause of the noise.

I replaced my gpu with the gpu i use in my nas which has no fan. Still the high pitch noise.

I removed my soundcard and didn't turn on the on-board audio, still the noise.

I then proceeded to buy a new cpu cooler, figuring that would be the problem. Unfortunately the noise is still here..

Since the I/O panel of the motherboard is near the cpu i figured it might be something stupid like the usb ports, but disconnecting all usb devices and disabling all usb ports in the bios didn't fix it. (I used an old PS/2 keyboard to test this)

I'm running out of ideas, i have contacted Intel asking if it could be their cpu causing the high pitched noise, but they say that's impossible.

My pc:
CPU: Intel i7 3820
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 4
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 (rev 1.x)
Graphics card: MSI Twin Frozr HD 7950 3GB
PSU: OCZ ModXStream-Pro 700W
RAM: Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB (M4-CT128M4SSD2)
HDD1: WD 640GB WD6400AAKS-65A7B0
HDD2: WD 1TB WD1001FALS-00J7B0
HDD3: WD 2TB WD20EARS-00J2GB0
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality
DVD Drive 1: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95
DVD Drive 2: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L
Case: Coolermaster COSMOS II


I hope someone here has an idea what i can still test. It's driving me crazy that i can't figure out what's causing it.

Best regards,
Rik
July 18, 2013 5:34:20 AM

Rikrik said:

HDD1: WD 640GB WD6400AAKS-65A7B0
HDD2: WD 1TB WD1001FALS-00J7B0
HDD3: WD 2TB WD20EARS-00J2GB0


Have you tried disconnecting the hard drives from WD, one by one?
m
0
l
July 18, 2013 5:39:35 AM

DavidRappl said:
Rikrik said:

HDD1: WD 640GB WD6400AAKS-65A7B0
HDD2: WD 1TB WD1001FALS-00J7B0
HDD3: WD 2TB WD20EARS-00J2GB0


Have you tried disconnecting the hard drives from WD, one by one?


I have. The first thing i tried was disconnecting everything not essential to getting into the bios. No dvd drives, no hdd's, no ssd, only the psu, gpu, motherboard and cpu.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2013 5:42:30 AM

I would also bet on the HDDs. But there is also the possibility to be caused by airflow.

What kind of case fans do you have? Size and RPM? How many? At what positions?

Air under pressure passing through a narrow hole could cause a high pitched noise. For example if you have too many intake fans that will create a positive pressure in the case which will make air leak out through the holes of the case. If you have too many outtake fans that will create a negative pressure in the case. Meaning air will come into the case from all possible holes. There could be an air current "mini tornado" in your case which makes high pitched noise while passing around cables or components. I had such occurrences but the noise was not as severe as you stated.
m
0
l
July 18, 2013 7:59:47 AM

Shneiky said:
I would also bet on the HDDs. But there is also the possibility to be caused by airflow.

What kind of case fans do you have? Size and RPM? How many? At what positions?

Air under pressure passing through a narrow hole could cause a high pitched noise. For example if you have too many intake fans that will create a positive pressure in the case which will make air leak out through the holes of the case. If you have too many outtake fans that will create a negative pressure in the case. Meaning air will come into the case from all possible holes. There could be an air current "mini tornado" in your case which makes high pitched noise while passing around cables or components. I had such occurrences but the noise was not as severe as you stated.


I'll try removing the HDDs again tonight, maybe there were 2 seperate causes of the high pitch noise.

And i suppose it could be an airflow problem as you say.
The current setup in my Cosmos 2 is basically the standard setup with the fans that came with it, a 200mm fan as intake in the front, one 120mm fan on the side cooling the HDDs, one 140mm fan on the backside of the case as outtake and 1 120mm fan on top as outtake. All fans run at low speeds using the cosmos 2 fan controller, except the 200mm intake that runs at high speed.
The cpu cooler is in a push pull setup with the fan on the backside.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2013 8:02:23 AM

Experiment with the fans. Try taking all case fans totally off.
m
0
l
!