Solved

is half building a pc bad?

hey,

im just wondering since my RAM is arriving tomorrow/ Saturday, if half building, installing the hard drive, optical drive and SSD into the case would be a bad idea? would the parts be damaged by leaving them in a case for a few days?

thanks

side note: do the fans that came with the case install into the mobo or the psu?
Also is it ok, since my mobo only came with 2 SATA cables and i have a SSD, HDD an optical drive, i unplug the HHD while installing windows from the optical drive than un-plug the optical drive to carry on using the HDD
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about half building bad
  1. no, its actually better to install those first anyway, to avoid damaging your MB or GPU if you don't have a huge case.
  2. Best answer
    pinapple said:
    hey,

    do the fans that came with the case install into the mobo or the psu?
    Also is it ok, since my mobo only came with 2 SATA cables and i have a SSD, HDD an optical drive, i unplug the HHD while installing windows from the optical drive than un-plug the optical drive to carry on using the HDD


    if the fans have molex pins, then they would need to be connected to psu, however if they are 3 pin, you might as well connect them to your mobo, since you can get some speed information. and yes its fine to unplug your sata devices, they are hot-swappable, but to be safe, just turn of your PC before changing the configuration.
  3. pinapple said:

    side note: do the fans that came with the case install into the mobo or the psu?
    Also is it ok, since my mobo only came with 2 SATA cables and i have a SSD, HDD an optical drive, i unplug the HHD while installing windows from the optical drive than un-plug the optical drive to carry on using the HDD



    yeah that would work just fine. it also removes confusion or the possibility of accidentally installing the os on the wrong drive.
  4. thanks guys - i wish i could all give you "pick as solution" ;D

    have a good day
  5. It won't be a bad idea unless you turn the system on. The fans with the case go on the motherboard, if you look through the manual, it'll say where to plug it. And about your side note, yes it's ok but you should check out your motherboard to see if there's really only 2 SATA cables, if not you could buy these molex to sata cables. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816029
  6. Michael-CCH said:
    It won't be a bad idea unless you turn the system on. The fans with the case go on the motherboard, if you look through the manual, it'll say where to plug it. And about your side note, yes it's ok but you should check out your motherboard to see if there's really only 2 SATA cables, if not you could buy these molex to sata cables. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816029


    i believe he was talking about data cables, not sata power cables
Ask a new question

Read More

Components