Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Looking for guidance with new build

Last response: in Components
Share
July 18, 2013 6:59:48 AM

I've spent the past few days going over parts upon parts, and this is what I have come up with. Looking for any input on anything that may be wrong I am not seeing (to small case, inadequate cooling, etc.)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($180.00 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($675.91 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($104.78 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1764.62

Is there anything I am missing? Not planning on overclocking to begin with, and will get a cooler when the time comes, unless it appears I should have one now. Trying to stay as close to the $1800 mark as possible including tax and shipping.

More about : guidance build

July 18, 2013 7:12:12 AM

Are you video editing or gaming on 3 monitors?
m
0
l
July 18, 2013 7:43:36 AM

Your missing a CPU cooler, if you want to get a silent CPU cooler get the Noctua CPU-Kühler NH-D14. If not you could get a watercooling H100i with custom fans or for the cheaper side, get a CM Hyper 212 EVO.

Since you're not overclocking, there's no point in getting a K version of a chip unless you're planning to in the near future.

If this helped, please pick this as the best solution, would be greatly appreciated.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 18, 2013 8:56:00 AM

Thanatos Telos said:
Are you video editing or gaming on 3 monitors?

Software engineering, and gaming (multiple monitor being a possibility.)

Michael-CCH said:
Your missing a CPU cooler, if you want to get a silent CPU cooler get the Noctua CPU-Kühler NH-D14. If not you could get a watercooling H100i with custom fans or for the cheaper side, get a CM Hyper 212 EVO.

Since you're not overclocking, there's no point in getting a K version of a chip unless you're planning to in the near future.

If this helped, please pick this as the best solution, would be greatly appreciated.

I do plan on overclocking, though I do need to do some reading up on it first. I'm paranoid about liquid coolers leaking. Is this something I really need to worry about? would a h100i fit in the case I have chosen?
m
0
l

Best solution

July 18, 2013 10:17:28 AM

missingname said:
Thanatos Telos said:
Are you video editing or gaming on 3 monitors?

Software engineering, and gaming (multiple monitor being a possibility.)

Michael-CCH said:
Your missing a CPU cooler, if you want to get a silent CPU cooler get the Noctua CPU-Kühler NH-D14. If not you could get a watercooling H100i with custom fans or for the cheaper side, get a CM Hyper 212 EVO.

Since you're not overclocking, there's no point in getting a K version of a chip unless you're planning to in the near future.

If this helped, please pick this as the best solution, would be greatly appreciated.

I do plan on overclocking, though I do need to do some reading up on it first. I'm paranoid about liquid coolers leaking. Is this something I really need to worry about? would a h100i fit in the case I have chosen?


A h100i is a premade watercooling system with everything inside so you have nothing to worry about. But you might want to change the stock fans of the h100 or else it'll be really noisy.
Share
July 18, 2013 2:19:45 PM

Michael-CCH said:
A h100i is a premade watercooling system with everything inside so you have nothing to worry about. But you might want to change the stock fans of the h100 or else it'll be really noisy.

Two questions: first, is the cooler something I should have right away, or could I hold off until I am ready to overclock? Second, how noisy are we talking? Box Fan? AC window unit? noraml loud computer fan?
m
0
l
July 18, 2013 3:41:05 PM

missingname said:
Michael-CCH said:
A h100i is a premade watercooling system with everything inside so you have nothing to worry about. But you might want to change the stock fans of the h100 or else it'll be really noisy.

Two questions: first, is the cooler something I should have right away, or could I hold off until I am ready to overclock? Second, how noisy are we talking? Box Fan? AC window unit? noraml loud computer fan?

Hold off as long as you want to. Anyway, I'd estimate it to be a bit less than the stock. From what I've seen, it's a good bit bigger, so it shouldn't have to spin so quickly.
m
0
l
!