Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

AMD switchable graphics problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 18, 2013 7:04:31 AM

Guys, I'm having probs with AMD again, few days back I updated few drivers (BIOS, graphics (both intel n amds) ) and after that I lost that AMD switchable graphics feature. Whenever I right click on laptop, there is no option of switchable graphics. What should I do ? My system config. is http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en...
July 18, 2013 7:13:43 AM

First off its not AMD's issue. It is your issue. Go to HP's website and download the video driver from there. AMD simply releases a generic driver, you (the end user) are never meant to go to AMD's website and download their drivers. It is up to HP to make the driver for your notebook. AMD switchable graphics is only turned on when using a AMD Vision system, and due to your Intel CPU it is NOT a AMD Vision system. So HP MUST go into the driver, and edit some code to turn it on with a Intel CPU, then release it to you. So turn your notebook upside down and find the product number usually looks something like this: AB123CDE#ABA
July 18, 2013 7:22:12 AM

JefferyD90 said:
First off its not AMD's issue. It is your issue. Go to HP's website and download the video driver from there. AMD simply releases a generic driver, you (the end user) are never meant to go to AMD's website and download their drivers. It is up to HP to make the driver for your notebook. AMD switchable graphics is only turned on when using a AMD Vision system, and due to your Intel CPU it is NOT a AMD Vision system. So HP MUST go into the driver, and edit some code to turn it on with a Intel CPU, then release it to you. So turn your notebook upside down and find the product number usually looks something like this: AB123CDE#ABA



But I want to use the AMDs latest beta drivers(13.1 beta 2), I mean I heard that ones really boost your GPU.
What do I do ?
Related resources

Best solution

July 18, 2013 7:30:17 AM
Share

Honestly, you cant :(  Unless you feel comfortable going in and editing the drivers .dll files and such. I personally don't. Just so you know, that being a 6xxx series card most of the optimizations have been made already. The only big performance gains you will see are in the 7xxx series cards, and most likely in the high end 7xxx cards.

Honestly tho, I would expect less than a 5% difference (if you are getting 60FPS in a game, you now would be getting 63-65FPS not really that big of a deal) I HIGHLY suggest that you use HP's drivers, cause usually they not only edit the AMD's drivers, but also Intel's chipset driver, and then xxx's audio driver, and then this piece of software and then this.... so they all work together BETTER. So overall system responsiveness and performance will be much better with HP's drivers. HP is not a "Push the envelope" company, if you wanted to do something like that you should be looking at someone like Alienware (this is where *gulp* Alienware is actually legit) or maybe even MSI or something like that. You get what you pay for, HP is simply a "no-hassle" computer, so that is what you get, no hassle and no features or latest beta updates.
July 18, 2013 7:34:51 AM

If you really want to boost your gaming performance, get Windows 8. Due to its new kernel, and other optimizations in memory management and multi thread management, most people notice a 10% performance gain across the board in video games. So 60 turns into 66, plus this will give you and your system a clean start so you can try a clean slate of drivers.
July 18, 2013 7:35:26 AM

JefferyD90 said:
Honestly, you cant :(  Unless you feel comfortable going in and editing the drivers .dll files and such. I personally don't. Just so you know, that being a 6xxx series card most of the optimizations have been made already. The only big performance gains you will see are in the 7xxx series cards, and most likely in the high end 7xxx cards.

Honestly tho, I would expect less than a 5% difference (if you are getting 60FPS in a game, you now would be getting 63-65FPS not really that big of a deal) I HIGHLY suggest that you use HP's drivers, cause usually they not only edit the AMD's drivers, but also Intel's chipset driver, and then xxx's audio driver, and then this piece of software and then this.... so they all work together BETTER. So overall system responsiveness and performance will be much better with HP's drivers. HP is not a "Push the envelope" company, if you wanted to do something like that you should be looking at someone like Alienware (this is where *gulp* Alienware is actually legit) or maybe even MSI or something like that. You get what you pay for, HP is simply a "no-hassle" computer, so that is what you get, no hassle and no features or latest beta updates.



Thanks man, I have to go with HP drivers now. Anyway, thanks for the advice!
July 18, 2013 7:37:43 AM

Another suggestion, check out Intel's beta driver for your PC. It might propose a solution to it.
July 18, 2013 7:38:06 AM

JefferyD90 said:
If you really want to boost your gaming performance, get Windows 8. Due to its new kernel, and other optimizations in memory management and multi thread management, most people notice a 10% performance gain across the board in video games. So 60 turns into 66, plus this will give you and your system a clean start so you can try a clean slate of drivers.



I recently used Windows 8 for like a week or two. But it was so buggy, I mean once in while some error pops up and it restarts automatically... According to me Windows 8 wasn't stable as Windows 7. PS, Yeah It was faster than 7 but quite laggy.

July 18, 2013 7:57:12 AM

You did it wrong then. There are no bugs with Windows 8. Get a clean ISO from Microsoft and install it, then install the drivers (from HP) and make sure you install ALLLLLLL of them, not just the ones you feel like.
!