1333 (or) 1600 for i7-3770 and x79 board?

lyphe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
So I built a new system about a month ago.

- i7 3820 (not oc'd)
- EVGA x79 mobo
- Asus GTX780 gpu

Initially, I put in 16g of 2133 Ripjaws - but soon found that I was freezing up randomly. After some poking around, I found out that this speed was not compatible with my build unless I overclocked, which I dont' want to do.

My research seemed to suggest that 1600 was fine for a non oc'd 3820/x79 set up, and so I swapped the ram.

Since then, my computer has run perfectly 99% of the time. But every once in a while ... it begins to freeze again. The freezing is for a few seconds at a time, and goes away with a reboot, but it made me wonder if I really should have just gone for the 1333.

My understanding was that 1600 is fine for this setup, but can anyone confirm? The freezes seem like a very mild form of what I was experiencing before with the 2133 ram, so I logically am wondering if it's ram related again.

Any advice appreciated.

Solution

Give it a test before enabling XMP, if it is fine, you do not need to mess with it further.

1600 is fine, I would enable XMP (Sets\makes sure RAM to run at intended speeds) and see how that goes. Also, it would be a good idea to overclock the 3820 to get the full performance out of the GTX 780.

Good Cooler for the 3820: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00631QFG8

lyphe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
On the xmp, I'll give that a shot. The issue isn't a big one since it's infrequent, but I know it's not normal either so I figure I should fix it if I can.

I thought about Oc'ing the 3820, but I think it's got enough juice to run my games @ stock for now.

Overclocking is never a bad thing (unless you put too much voltage :lol:). I admit, overclocking is not really needed for the 3820, but once again, overclocking is never a bad thing to your performance.

Alright, best of luck and remember to report in on how your system is working.

lyphe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Ok, so I opened to my Bios screen:

1) First thing I noticed when I went into the memory settings is that the speed was set at 1333 as opposed to 1600 which is what my RAM is. I switched this to 1600 and assume this is ok (?) and not the computer throttling it down for some reason?

2) My choices for memory settings are 'automatic, manual, or xmp profile'. I was going to switch it to xmp profile, but was wondering if I'm better to leave it on automatic now that I've adjusted the speed to 1600 per my note above.

Thanks for any additional thoughts ....

Give it a test before enabling XMP, if it is fine, you do not need to mess with it further.

Solution