Solved

Need help deciding on a <$180 CPU

I want to purchase a CPU for around the $160-180 mark

At my local microcenter store,
My options are:

Intel Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Boxed Processor 159.99
Intel Intel Core i5-4570S 2.9GHz Boxed Processor 169.99
FX 8350 4GHz AM3+ Black Edition Boxed Processor 179.99

My Specs:
Whatever decent <$100 mobo bundled from microcenter
430-500W PSU
GTX 650TI BOOST 2gb
8gb ram
SSD

I will be doing the basics, watching movies, and playing very selective games such as NBA 2k14, Counterstrike Global Offensive, Dota 2 and maybe GTA V (Willing to play on low-medium).

I don't plan to do any overclocking, and want the one that would last me the longest.

Which one would be best for my needs?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I want to dual screen too
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about deciding 180 cpu
  1. If you can find a MOBO that will fit your budget then I would go with the 4570. However the 8350 is overclockable and you can get a MOBO for cheaper. With an OC the 8350 would be able to reach the same, if not higher performance than the 4570. Not overclocked, the 4570 would have an edge, however like I said the MOBOs for 1150 sockets are pretty pricey.
  2. 8350 if you plan on overclocking, otherwise I would suggest the 4570. Also, based on your use age, consider the FX-6300 and spending the savings on a better GPU.
  3. slomo4sho said:
    8350 if you plan on overclocking, otherwise I would suggest the 4570. Also, based on your use age, consider the FX-6300 and spending the savings on a better GPU.


    +1 on better GPU. there is no point pairing a good cpu with a poor gpu. but i would recommend 6350 over 6300 if you donot OC too much
  4. I'd say drop the SSD get a hard drive and spend the difference on getting a better video card. SSDs have an insane cost per GB and only help with load times. Personally I'd say get a hard drive now, add an ssd later. Also Slomo is right. Instead of an 8350 go with a 6300 or 6350 if you change your mind on overclocking (i'd say 6350 since its a higher quality chip and close to the 8350 in gaming for just about 10.00 or so more) and use that saving and the savings from dropping the SSD and get a GTX 760 or something similar. MUCH better performance that way. Or get an unlocked i5 and a better video card (budget permitting).

    Your graphics card will limit you far sooner than an AMD FX 6300 or FX 6350
  5. sarwar_r87 said:
    +1 on better GPU. there is no point pairing a good cpu with a poor gpu. but i would recommend 6350 over 6300 if you donot OC too much


    The 6300 over the 6350 simply because the $40 bundle discount isn't available with the 6350 at Microcenter so you would be looking at a difference of $50 between the two chips.
  6. slomo4sho said:
    sarwar_r87 said:
    +1 on better GPU. there is no point pairing a good cpu with a poor gpu. but i would recommend 6350 over 6300 if you donot OC too much


    The 6300 over the 6350 simply because the $40 bundle discount isn't available with the 6350 at Microcenter so you would be looking at a difference of $50 between the two chips.


    didn't know that. then ya 6300 for sure
  7. slomo4sho said:
    sarwar_r87 said:
    +1 on better GPU. there is no point pairing a good cpu with a poor gpu. but i would recommend 6350 over 6300 if you donot OC too much


    The 6300 over the 6350 simply because the $40 bundle discount isn't available with the 6350 at Microcenter so you would be looking at a difference of $50 between the two chips.


    ethereal essence said:
    slomo4sho said:
    sarwar_r87 said:
    +1 on better GPU. there is no point pairing a good cpu with a poor gpu. but i would recommend 6350 over 6300 if you donot OC too much


    The 6300 over the 6350 simply because the $40 bundle discount isn't available with the 6350 at Microcenter so you would be looking at a difference of $50 between the two chips.


    didn't know that. then ya 6300 for sure


    They actually do have the bundle. Discount is taken at "cart"
    I could get the Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Socket AM3+ mATX 760G AMD M for $10.00 after the $40
    bundle saving and $10 rebate.

    So how is this?
    I already have ssd from my laptop and old mATx case + 1 CD/DVD DRIVE
    Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Socket AM3+ mATX 760G AMD M $10
    AMD FX 6350 Black Edition 3.9GHz Six-Core Socket A $130
    Kingston HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800) CL9 D $63
    HIS IceQ H787Q2G2M Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 $200
    COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-500 500W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 $24

    TOTAL = 427

    This is the link to the power supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159124
    Because I am most worried if there is enough power to go around without running up the electric bill
  8. Go for 6300 6 core CPU if you are planing to overclock...this processor is enough for gaming. Buy harddrive instead of SSD...!
    I say buy 6300, overclock it, and invest extra cash into better GPU - overall result in gaming will be better...!!
    An overclocked FX 6300 can reach clock speed 4.5 GHz / 5 ghz by just using coolermaster hyper text 212 evo..
    FX 6300 is a best gaming core...with pairing with high end card and corsair Ram u wil get much perfomance....
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286
    FX 6300 is a value for money CPU.
  9. Fx 6350 is a good choice.. beats 6300 and powerfull core...better perfomance and less money..
    http://cpuboss.com/cpu/AMD-FX-6350
    6350 with high end card will performs better...and you can save money.
  10. I would say 6350 as well since you said you didn't want to overclock. 500w should be enough and also don't be afraid to go bigger, it won't pull more power than it needs to. If you are worried about the components racking up the bill, it would only be about 20 dollars a year more than Intel/nvidia.

    I would try to find a 970 board tho if you can fit it in the budget
  11. JRSMITH said:



    So how is this?
    I already have ssd from my laptop and old mATx case + 1 CD/DVD DRIVE
    Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Socket AM3+ mATX 760G AMD M $10
    AMD FX 6350 Black Edition 3.9GHz Six-Core Socket A $130
    Kingston HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800) CL9 D $63
    HIS IceQ H787Q2G2M Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 $200
    COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-500 500W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 $24

    TOTAL = 427

    This is the link to the power supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159124
    Because I am most worried if there is enough power to go around without running up the electric bill


    Invest in a higher quality PSU. The XFX 550W PRO550W Core Edition is a good choice. Also, what is your budget?
  12. slomo4sho said:
    JRSMITH said:



    So how is this?
    I already have ssd from my laptop and old mATx case + 1 CD/DVD DRIVE
    Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Socket AM3+ mATX 760G AMD M $10
    AMD FX 6350 Black Edition 3.9GHz Six-Core Socket A $130
    Kingston HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800) CL9 D $63
    HIS IceQ H787Q2G2M Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 $200
    COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-500 500W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 $24

    TOTAL = 427

    This is the link to the power supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159124
    Because I am most worried if there is enough power to go around without running up the electric bill


    Invest in a higher quality PSU. The XFX 550W PRO550W Core Edition is a good choice. Also, what is your budget?


    I dont really have a budget, but regardless I don't want to spend too much because I didn't factor in the monitor and speakers. However I am willing to spend maybe 10-20 more on each individual part.

    What part(s) would you suggest upgrading?
    Will my cpu bottleneck my gpu?
  13. JRSMITH said:

    What part(s) would you suggest upgrading?


    I would suggest starting off with a quality PSU. What is your total budget?
  14. slomo4sho said:
    JRSMITH said:

    What part(s) would you suggest upgrading?


    I would suggest starting off with a quality PSU. What is your total budget?


    $500 for:
    cpu, mobo, gpu, ram. psu
  15. Best answer
    JRSMITH said:

    $500 for:
    cpu, mobo, gpu, ram. psu

    I would recommend only buying the CPU and motherboard from Microcenter:


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Microcenter) ($39.99 with $40 bundle discount)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($65.70 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $455.66
  16. slomo4sho said:
    JRSMITH said:

    $500 for:
    cpu, mobo, gpu, ram. psu

    I would recommend only buying the CPU and motherboard from Microcenter:


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Microcenter) ($39.99 with $40 bundle discount)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($65.70 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $455.66


    +1 That's a good build.
  17. You need a better GPU, you will just cause bottle knecking and won't have a desirable performance.

  18. slomo4sho said:
    JRSMITH said:

    $500 for:
    cpu, mobo, gpu, ram. psu

    I would recommend only buying the CPU and motherboard from Microcenter:


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Microcenter) ($39.99 with $40 bundle discount)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($65.70 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $455.66


    Anonymous said:
    You need a better GPU, you will just cause bottle knecking and won't have a desirable performance.



    If I were to follow 8350Rock's build,
    The 7870 will bottleneck the fx-6350?
  19. JRSMITH said:
    slomo4sho said:
    JRSMITH said:

    $500 for:
    cpu, mobo, gpu, ram. psu

    I would recommend only buying the CPU and motherboard from Microcenter:


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Microcenter) ($39.99 with $40 bundle discount)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($65.70 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $455.66


    Anonymous said:
    You need a better GPU, you will just cause bottle knecking and won't have a desirable performance.



    If I were to follow 8350Rock's build,
    The 7870 will bottleneck the fx-6350?


    The 7870 is a great card, you won't see any issues...
Ask a new question

Read More

Core Intel Intel i5 AMD CPUs Processors