Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

External Hard Drive showing up as Local Disk (J

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 19, 2013 7:53:27 AM

Hi everyone.

First of all, I know there are a lot of threads on this but I checked loads of them and none of them seem to have a solution.

The drive is called: Buffalo DriveStation 1.0TB USB 2.0 External Hard Disk Drive. I got it in November 2012 from Amazon.

This has happened before (a few months ago) and I just formatted the drive because there was nothing extremely important on it, there isn't anything important on it this time either.

Here is a screenshot of My Computer:
Spoiler


Also, a screenshot of Disk Management:
Spoiler


I usually keep the ext HDD plugged into the computer so maybe the problem lies with the HDD powering up and down with the computer?

The reason why the drive letter is J is because it was suggested that changing the drive letter might work, obviously didn't.

Please ask if you need any more info or screenshots. Thanks.
July 19, 2013 8:11:18 AM

So what is the issue here?
A USB device will show up as local storage .... same as putting a USB stick in your computer, just bigger ;-)
m
0
l
July 19, 2013 8:22:39 AM

hubbardt said:
So what is the issue here?
A USB device will show up as local storage .... same as putting a USB stick in your computer, just bigger ;-)


I was trying so hard to get everything right and figure out this new Tom's layout that I forget to describe the issue lol

The issue is that it won't let me access the drive. When I double-click the drive in Computer, the green loading bar at the goes for about a minute then an error message pops up saying:

J:\ is not accessible.
The parameter is incorrect

It then tells me I must format it before I use it.

Thanks/
m
0
l
Related resources
July 19, 2013 8:35:02 AM

Check this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/298874-32-external-...

Quote:
From your picture, I can see your E drive is displayed as “RAW”. “RAW” is a kind of file system that cannot be recognized by Windows or Mac. Therefore, that may be the problem. As I know, the RAW drive can be fixed by reformatting. Have you tried that?


Just reformat the drive as NTFS
m
0
l
July 19, 2013 10:36:31 AM

lonewolf7 said:
Try this http://www.rawfilesystem.com/


Hi, thanks for the link. I tried that software. I think the last time this happened, I used that software to recover a few files too. However, since it can't recover the structure of the files (folders, names etc.), it isn't useful to me.

hubbardt said:
Check this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/298874-32-external-...

Quote:
From your picture, I can see your E drive is displayed as “RAW”. “RAW” is a kind of file system that cannot be recognized by Windows or Mac. Therefore, that may be the problem. As I know, the RAW drive can be fixed by reformatting. Have you tried that?


Just reformat the drive as NTFS


Yeah, that's all I done last time too.

It's not even the losing of the files that I'm concerned about, it is that this has happened twice within a few months. Do you think there is something wrong with the hard drive?
m
0
l
July 20, 2013 10:56:21 AM

Are you saying that you formatted as NTFS and then for some odd reason it shows up as RAW after a couple of weeks?
m
0
l
July 20, 2013 12:01:14 PM

hubbardt said:
Are you saying that you formatted as NTFS and then for some odd reason it shows up as RAW after a couple of weeks?


Hi, yes that's exactly what's happening. Except it's months rather than weeks.

I have actually ran into a new problem today though. I tried to format the drive like I did last time and after a few seconds, an error message pops up saying Windows couldn't complete the format. That didn't happen last time, it just formatted like normal.

Thanks.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 297 G Storage
July 21, 2013 9:17:02 AM

Check the HDD with vendor's diagnostics tools or some third party software for health/performance/S.M.A.R.T values. I think the HDD is dying slow death by the symptoms your are talking about. If it's under warranty RMA it. Good luck.

Share
July 22, 2013 3:17:25 AM

lonewolf7 said:
Check the HDD with vendor's diagnostics tools or some third party software for health/performance/S.M.A.R.T values. I think the HDD is dying slow death by the symptoms your are talking about. If it's under warranty RMA it. Good luck.



Hi, I used Seagate Seatools. It passed the short generic test and failed the short drive self test.

I also contacted Amazon to find out if it is still under warranty because I didn't see anything about it on the item page.

Thanks.
m
0
l
July 22, 2013 11:34:00 AM

lonewolf7 said:
If you cannot find it on amazon, this link will help you. http://www.seagate.com/support/warranty-and-replacement...


Hi, Amazon told me to contact the manufacturer so I checked Buffalo's website and it seems that all products have a two year warranty.

So I contacted them and just told them I want to RMA it because it won't let me access the files and has converted the file system to RAW for no apparent reason.

Thanks.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 3:09:04 AM

Glad you got it sorted (hopefully)
Please mark lonewolf7 as the answer

m
0
l
June 22, 2014 1:44:30 AM

Guys same thing happening with me. I can't even touch my hard disk. If i right click on my comp it just stops. Help i have same problem with my WD MY PASSPORT ULTRA 1TB External hard disk
m
0
l
!