Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Wattage Problem - Will my computer have problems?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 19, 2013 12:07:00 PM

Currently I have a rather bad computer (Dell) that I purchased in 2010 or so. It came with an integrated graphics card, 4 GB of RAM, 300W PSU and an AMD Athlon II X2 240 for the CPU. Because I use it for mostly gaming, I was disappointed that I couldn't run the latest things like Skyrim. So recently (around 2012) I bought a decent graphics card (Sapphire Radeon HD 6770) and a new 600W PSU. The Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 (since it was modified/overclocked I guess) took up 450W of power and the PSU had 600W. I thought that was fine, because I am new to modifying hardware and I assume that the other things like my integrated CPU and hard drives and such didn't take up more than 150W.

Now very recently, I got games such as Assassin's Creed 3 and other new high-end games that required alot of hardware. My graphics card (because it was so good) could usually pull through my bad CPU and run it at a fairly decent speed. However I couldn't run those games on maximum quality which somewhat disappointed me.

So I am looking for a good CPU (my Socket is AM3) that is around $100-150, and I found a good AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4 GHZ. I thought that was really good because it was 3.4 GhZ and it was a Quad Core. The Problem is it is a CPU that requires 125W. If I look at my PSU and Graphics card, they take up 575W already and my power supply is only 600W. Would it be safe to purchase and install the CPU I mentioned? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

TL;DR: My Graphics card takes up 450W, and the CPU I want to get takes up 125W. That's 575W, and my PSU is only 600W. Is it safe to get the CPU and install it? I have 4 GB of RAM, if that means anything, and one 455 GB Hard Drive.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2013 12:23:37 PM

If a card says it requires a 450 watt power supply that does not mean the card by itself is using that much power. The most any single card can use is 300 watts, and those are usually dual GPU cards like the 7990 or the gtx 690 and they cost 1000 dollars. You will have plenty of power with your current psu.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2013 12:27:32 PM

Darian Nguyen said:
Currently I have a rather bad computer (Dell) that I purchased in 2010 or so. It came with an integrated graphics card, 4 GB of RAM, 300W PSU and an AMD Athlon II X2 240 for the CPU. Because I use it for mostly gaming, I was disappointed that I couldn't run the latest things like Skyrim. So recently (around 2012) I bought a decent graphics card (Sapphire Radeon HD 6770) and a new 600W PSU. The Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 (since it was modified/overclocked I guess) took up 450W of power and the PSU had 600W. I thought that was fine, because I am new to modifying hardware and I assume that the other things like my integrated CPU and hard drives and such didn't take up more than 150W.

Now very recently, I got games such as Assassin's Creed 3 and other new high-end games that required alot of hardware. My graphics card (because it was so good) could usually pull through my bad CPU and run it at a fairly decent speed. However I couldn't run those games on maximum quality which somewhat disappointed me.

So I am looking for a good CPU (my Socket is AM3) that is around $100-150, and I found a good AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4 GHZ. I thought that was really good because it was 3.4 GhZ and it was a Quad Core. The Problem is it is a CPU that requires 125W. If I look at my PSU and Graphics card, they take up 575W already and my power supply is only 600W. Would it be safe to purchase and install the CPU I mentioned? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

TL;DR: My Graphics card takes up 450W, and the CPU I want to get takes up 125W. That's 575W, and my PSU is only 600W. Is it safe to get the CPU and install it? I have 4 GB of RAM, if that means anything, and one 455 GB Hard Drive.


your 6770 graphic card takes only 110 WATTS

and the 600 WATTS power supply can support up to GTX 780 or a Titan with full pc.

actually you didnot need to change the power at all.

the 400 watts they put on the box is for all the system not the VGA alone . and they put like 100 watt safe margin.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2013 12:30:04 PM

The 6770 certainly isn't using 450w. Your PSU shouldn't be an issue. 600w is actually a lot more than enough for a Phenom II and a 6770.

What you should do is make sure that the Dell motherboard you are using will support the CPU you are considering. It has an AM3 socket, sure, but does its BIOS actually support the CPU you are considering? I don't see why it wouldn't, but I'd at least check the Dell support page before going out on a limb. Also, many OEM BIOS don't allow overclocking so don't necessarily expect to be able to overclock the new chip using that mobo.
m
0
l
July 19, 2013 12:53:51 PM

larkspur said:
The 6770 certainly isn't using 450w. Your PSU shouldn't be an issue. 600w is actually a lot more than enough for a Phenom II and a 6770.

What you should do is make sure that the Dell motherboard you are using will support the CPU you are considering. It has an AM3 socket, sure, but does its BIOS actually support the CPU you are considering? I don't see why it wouldn't, but I'd at least check the Dell support page before going out on a limb. Also, many OEM BIOS don't allow overclocking so don't necessarily expect to be able to overclock the new chip using that mobo.


I'm not looking to overclock it, but just at least have it up and running. I'm very new to modifying internal parts of my computer, so can you please explain how I can check if my BIOS supports the CPU?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2013 1:10:09 PM

Your computer should have a service tag number - use it on the Dell support page. What you are looking for is a "CPU support" or "Supported CPUs" or "Compatible CPUs" page for your computer's motherboard. I don't know Dell computers very well so I can't say whether the motherboard will actually support that CPU. Like I said, it should but I'd make sure of it before making a purchase. If you like, you can post your computer's model number and/or service tag number and I or someone else will try and look it up for you.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2013 1:25:22 AM

Quote:
Currently I have a rather bad computer (Dell) that I purchased in 2010 or so. It came with an integrated graphics card, 4 GB of RAM, 300W PSU and an AMD Athlon II X2 240 for the CPU. Because I use it for mostly gaming, I was disappointed that I couldn't run the latest things like Skyrim


Shame on you. You got AMD Dell - you are one lucky person - you can upgrade it to....

Lets find out first what exactly you have, to me it seems that you have Inspiron 570, am I correct.

Before you do anything, we must know for sure your model number.

If you don't know, look for the black sticker attached to the bottom or back panel, it said there.

When you provide your correct answer I will open gates of heaven to you, or gates of hell depending on your understanding of PC upgrading.
m
0
l
August 8, 2013 11:49:46 AM

Kisianik said:
Quote:
Currently I have a rather bad computer (Dell) that I purchased in 2010 or so. It came with an integrated graphics card, 4 GB of RAM, 300W PSU and an AMD Athlon II X2 240 for the CPU. Because I use it for mostly gaming, I was disappointed that I couldn't run the latest things like Skyrim


Shame on you. You got AMD Dell - you are one lucky person - you can upgrade it to....

Lets find out first what exactly you have, to me it seems that you have Inspiron 570, am I correct.

Before you do anything, we must know for sure your model number.

If you don't know, look for the black sticker attached to the bottom or back panel, it said there.

When you provide your correct answer I will open gates of heaven to you, or gates of hell depending on your understanding of PC upgrading.


My computer IS a Inspiron 570. Well I found a black sticker on the top panel and it had two numbers:
The Service Tag: 7JF7NM1
Express Service Code: 16411885129
Are either of those it? I found no sticker on the back panel (The silver one with like wires and USB cords) but when I opened the side panel I found a yellow sticker with a Black hash code thing (The type of thing used for ScanTrons) and it had some numbers on there as well. I haven't checked the bottom panel yet because that would require lifting the computer up
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2013 6:19:15 PM

Yes, you have Inspiron 570 Mini Tower (according to service tag).
Maximum upgrades.
You already have 600 watt PSU, which is enough for even GTX 760, so in video card category, your budget is the limit.
CPU, the strongest one is Phenom II x4 965 BE, if you change a case to larger one with good ventilation, you can easy overclock your CPU, it will require cooling upgrades, but I can run BF3 on Ultra with GTX660.
RAM can be upgraded to 16GB, however 8 GB is more than enough for gaming, more necessary only for things like Photoshop (professional use) and other heavy engineering programs like CAD.

If you are interested let me know.

Also, what is your skill level - novice, know some things, expert.

Anything else I can help you with?
m
0
l
August 13, 2013 3:30:16 PM

Kisianik said:
Yes, you have Inspiron 570 Mini Tower (according to service tag).
Maximum upgrades.
You already have 600 watt PSU, which is enough for even GTX 760, so in video card category, your budget is the limit.
CPU, the strongest one is Phenom II x4 965 BE, if you change a case to larger one with good ventilation, you can easy overclock your CPU, it will require cooling upgrades, but I can run BF3 on Ultra with GTX660.
RAM can be upgraded to 16GB, however 8 GB is more than enough for gaming, more necessary only for things like Photoshop (professional use) and other heavy engineering programs like CAD.

If you are interested let me know.

Also, what is your skill level - novice, know some things, expert.

Anything else I can help you with?


So you're saying I can get the CPU I mentioned in the OP? I don't really have a need for any overclocking because I have a rather bad ventilation system (I use a desk fan) and I don't care as much about graphics of games (Grew up around Zelda and 16 bit crap), but thanks for letting me know. Also I'm pretty much completely new to this so I'd say novice. I actually bought my video card before I know about Wattage so I was surprised I had to buy a new PSU for it.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2013 7:49:42 AM

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3...

Read it, you will find many interesting information there.

I would strongly encourage you to use this thread while you are upgrading - many more questions will arise during upgrading.

This is my end result - http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=de...
Check the name on top of the charts.....
You can be there as well.

Anything else I can help you with?
Share
!