Solved

Cant acces previous Windows drive after windows installation to another partition

Hi, I have a drive split into two partitions: C and E. C is where the Windows 7 is installed. I've just did a fresh Windows 7 install on a second parition (E), and now, the boot entry to C is gone as well as an acces to it (Windows says i need to format it). How can i acces that drive? I can't take ownership of it (no "Security" tab exists).
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about acces previous windows drive windows installation partition
  1. Blaken said:
    Hi, I have a drive split into two partitions: C and E. C is where the Windows 7 is installed. I've just did a fresh Windows 7 install on a second parition (E), and now, the boot entry to C is gone as well as an acces to it (Windows says i need to format it). How can i acces that drive? I can't take ownership of it (no "Security" tab exists).


    When you go to disk management what shows up?
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/disk-management-windows-7.htm
  2. Zombiekiller said:


    That it is a RAW system file. Doesn't even show it's size (totally like it was uninitalized).

    Maybe i should add that i've installed a professional version of Windows 7 to that second partition while being on Ulitmate (therefore i've installed the "older" version of the system). I heard that you never should do that as it may override the boomgr. May that be the case?


    UPDATE: I've recovered important files from that raw drive using 3rd party soft. Therefore i proceeded to format the drive. Windows was unable to format the drive, immediately after i got BSOD and now i can't boot cause bootmgr.exe is missing.
  3. Blaken said:
    Zombiekiller said:


    That it is a RAW system file. Doesn't even show it's size (totally like it was uninitalized).

    Maybe i should add that i've installed a professional version of Windows 7 to that second partition while being on Ulitmate (therefore i've installed the "older" version of the system). I heard that you never should do that as it may override the boomgr. May that be the case?



    That is bad. You are now in need of data recovery.
  4. Zombiekiller said:

    That is bad. You are now in need of data recovery.


    I've recovered the data. Then i attempted to format the drive. System hang up, i got BSOD and i have bootmgr missing.
  5. Blaken said:
    Zombiekiller said:

    That is bad. You are now in need of data recovery.


    I've recovered the data. Then i attempted to format the drive. System hang up, i got BSOD and i have bootmgr missing.


    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/bootmgr-is-missing.htm
  6. Best answer
    Well, i've excepted more than a link to a generic tutorial. I've checked using disk part that now i don't have two partitions anymore, so it looks like formatting of one actually formated both or something like that (something was messed up with them since many shrinks/extends were made using partition magic by me) and now i need to do a fresh install and full format.

    So , seems like the lesson is: to never install another windows systems on the same drive. Especially when that system is the lower version.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Partition Windows 7