7950 VAPOR-X Crossfire issues

white_emperor

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Hello.Ever since i got my crossfire cards a month ago,i've been having some issues.Their performance should be awesome(and it really is most of the time - great cooling,large oc capacity),but in some games(e.g. Crysis,Crysis 2) my whole system freezes,i mean totally(even the sound crashes).Also in some games(e.g. NFS:MW,Tomb Raider etc) i experience some FPS drops(which usually shouldn't occur IMO even with the heaviest AA,though i always use FXAA). My PSU is Corsair TX850W and due to my research i did before i purchased my GPU's i think it should be more than enough to cover these two cards,even overclocked.I've also considered to possibility of my HDD failing,since it's really old(like 5 years old) which i just didn't change because i kinda hit my budget top when i bought the whole config - it's a WD,7200 RPM(some caviar model or something,i'm not sure,but it's old).I wonder if i change it to an SSD,will the problems go away or is it something else that bothers my PC?.Last line of info - mobo - ASROCK z77 extreme 4,INTEL i5 3570k(still on stock frequences,since i haven't purchased an aftermarket cooler)and 2x4 GB GEIL Dragon CL11 RAM.Thanks in advance for the help.

Solution
Do not believe your HDD is at fault despite its age. Run Disk Health to be sure you don't bad sectors.

Crossfire is known to have stability issues though an update this month should have fixes A LOT of the problems. To find out if this is the cause. Try only one card and run the games you mentioned. Repeat with the other card. This confirms that both cards are working. They're both in the same family right?

You also don't have any leftover drivers from the previous cards especially if it was Nvidia and even if AMD, always remove previous drivers and install anew for your card.

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Do not believe your HDD is at fault despite its age. Run Disk Health to be sure you don't bad sectors.

Crossfire is known to have stability issues though an update this month should have fixes A LOT of the problems. To find out if this is the cause. Try only one card and run the games you mentioned. Repeat with the other card. This confirms that both cards are working. They're both in the same family right?

You also don't have any leftover drivers from the previous cards especially if it was Nvidia and even if AMD, always remove previous drivers and install anew for your card.

Solution

white_emperor

Honorable
May 30, 2013
I forgot to mention the main reason why I suspect my HDD to be the problem - it's making strange noises,e.g when I start a game it begins to,dunno really how to describe it - grind i guess? And in other situations it's emitting these "torture-like" noises,which i cannot really compare to any other sound of a failing HDD i've heard on the internet.

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
You could be on to something. Hard drives have moving parts and they do make noise normally but are partially muffled in the case. If the sounds are out of the ordinary go ahead and use something like Seagate Seatools or Windows' own Scandisk to check disk health. You'll have your answer there.