GT 640 (oem) & EVGA 8800 GT - multi monitor gaming possible?

eddified

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2013
I just bought a new computer with a 3GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 card in it. I also happen to have an EVGA 8800 GT card from a few years ago that I could use. I understand multi-monitor gaming is a much different beast than just multi-monitors running under microsoft windows. So the question is, can my GT 640 by itself, or possibly with the 8800 GT, run multi-monitor (or even just dual monitor) games?

I know they can't do SLI together. I don't care about SLI as long as I get the end result of multi-monitor games.

Is it possible?

Solution

I am just using shooters as an example, there are no games that support dual monitors that I know of...

eddified

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2013

I don't care about shooters, as that's not the kind of games I play. ...

Technically I'm pretty sure you could run games like that but the performance would be disappointing. You could always try it out and see what happens as long as you have the hardware. You can only run games from a single card. The best you could do with those 2 cards is maybe run physx on the 8800 GT. You're better off upgrading to a better graphics card honestly. For what you want to do I definitely recommend you upgrade to at least a GTX 760. It would be worth it for you.

I am just using shooters as an example, there are no games that support dual monitors that I know of...

Solution