Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HD 7790 - Is my PSU good enough?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2013 12:39:14 PM

I have a BFG 550W power supply. If my power supply were from a reputable brand i wouldn't be here but since it's BFG, i need to ask whether or not the HD 7790 will run okay on it. I'm going to have a FX-6300 with it. My system is very minimal.

More about : 7790 psu good

a b ) Power supply
July 20, 2013 12:45:33 PM

It will run, but as someone else said, you will need to replace it because I can guarantee you that it will burn out in a couple months, because you are stressing it to its limit
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 20, 2013 12:59:27 PM

oczdude8 said:
It will run, but as someone else said, you will need to replace it because I can guarantee you that it will burn out in a couple months, because you are stressing it to its limit

How in the world is his system going to stress this PSU to its limits? In extreme circumstance the PSU may end up being 60% load...
m
l
a c 281 ) Power supply
July 20, 2013 1:00:58 PM

slomo4sho said:
oczdude8 said:

How in the world is his system going to stress this PSU to its limits? In extreme circumstance the PSU may end up being 60% load...

+1^^^^
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 20, 2013 1:04:24 PM

toyftw said:
slomo4sho said:
oczdude8 said:

+1^^^^

you have to take into account that psus that are labeled at,say 550w are not 100% efficient. that is why good psus are given 80+ certifications, meaning that they are atleast 80% efficient. I would say this psu would be comfortable with providing 400W at the most

edit: im trying to say is that 550w is the peak power it can provide for short periods of time
m
l
a c 281 ) Power supply
July 20, 2013 1:08:13 PM

oczdude8 said:
toyftw said:
slomo4sho said:
oczdude8 said:

+1^^^^

you have to take into account that psus that are labeled at,say 550w are not 100% efficient. that is why good psus are given 80+ certifications, meaning that they are atleast 80% efficient. I would say this psu would be comfortable with providing 400W at the most

Efficiency refers to how much ac current the PSU pulls from the wall, has nothing to do with
what the PSU is capable of delivering DC power to the components.

m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
July 20, 2013 1:17:35 PM

oczdude8 said:

edit: im trying to say is that 550w is the peak power it can provide for short periods of time

I was being generous when I said 60% load. 60% would imply that this system draws 330W on full system load which not going to happen unless he loads up on fans and storage.
July 20, 2013 1:39:05 PM

yeah i have 1 500GB hard drive and 1 case fan and im using the stock heatsink for my cpu. Like i said minimum. Since the majority agreed that it will be okay i've bought the hd 7790. Thanks everyone.

last question , is it possible that my psu will "fail" one day and then fry all my components? I want to make sure i get a new psu before anything bad happens.
m
l
a c 281 ) Power supply
July 20, 2013 1:45:43 PM

jnoska said:
I have a BFG 550W power supply. If my power supply were from a reputable brand i wouldn't be here but since it's BFG, i need to ask whether or not the HD 7790 will run okay on it. I'm going to have a FX-6300 with it. My system is very minimal.

oczdude8 said:
toyftw said:
slomo4sho said:
oczdude8 said:

+1^^^^

Where did you get that info? I completely missed it. johnnyguru's test of
the unit made no mention of it only being able to deliver 550w for a brief time.
Two of his load tests have the unit pulling in excess of 600w.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

m
l
a c 281 ) Power supply
July 20, 2013 1:54:41 PM

jnoska said:
yeah i have 1 500GB hard drive and 1 case fan and im using the stock heatsink for my cpu. Like i said minimum. Since the majority agreed that it will be okay i've bought the hd 7790. Thanks everyone.

last question , is it possible that my psu will "fail" one day and then fry all my components? I want to make sure i get a new psu before anything bad happens.

Hi again - Yes, it is possible, but it's also possible with most any PSU, and a
far greater likelihood of it occurring in an under powered system, but you have
more than 100w of headroom, so your in good shape.

Read the two reviews that have been linked

slomo linked one n I linked one.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 20, 2013 1:55:15 PM

jnoska said:

This shouldn't be a concern. However, you should consider replacing the PSU if it is 4+ years old.
m
l
!