New GPU installed, but boots to welcome screen then hangs

Hey everyone,

So basically my old 8800gt gpu broke, and I replaced it with a gtx 660. Problem is there was no way for me to remove the drivers for they 8800gt and now my computer hangs at the windows welcome screen.

I can boot in safe mode, but not safe mode with networking. When I try to boot in safe mode w/networking the pc gets stuck at classpnp.sys.

So far I've tried most of the windows automated repairs like before booting into windows and such, but no dice.

I've also tried to boot with my last known good configuration and nothing. I've attempted to remove all the nvidia drivers through the device manager, and installed the latest drivers for my new card via safemode.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do now short of reinstalling windows 7 altogether.

Thanks for reading
11 answers Last reply
More about gpu installed boots screen hangs
  1. Boot system with iGPU and remove drivers and install 660 drivers? Full system specs may help us get to the root of the problem faster :)

  2. Sorry re-read your post. You may have to go through the install of the drivers in safe mode and choose the option to uninstall the previous drivers

    You could try cleaning old driver yourself with....
    http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html
  3. ThermalV said:
    Boot system with iGPU and remove drivers and install 660 drivers? Full system specs may help us get to the root of the problem faster :)


    I'll try out IGPU, but to be honest I've never used it before so im not completely sure what it is. I'll look around on Google though.

    Basic pc specs:
    mobo: gigabyte ga-970a-d3
    cpu: amd fx 6100 hex core
    ram: corsair vengeance blue 8gb
    gpu: inno 3d gt660

    edit: ah I looked up IGPU. My mobo has no integrated graphics I use to have an evga 8800gt before it died on me. I ran a tool called driver cleaner pro in attempts to clean up the old drivers, but I guess that didnt clear everything out.

    thanks
  4. What happen when you try to install Nvidia drivers in Safe Mode? Do you get the option to uninstall the previous drivers?
  5. Major_Trouble said:
    What happen when you try to install Nvidia drivers in Safe Mode? Do you get the option to uninstall the previous drivers?


    Nope just a run of the mill installation. I also noticed in the dxdiag under display everything is N/A or empty.
  6. Going through with the installation in Safe Mode doesn't then give you an option to uninstall when rebooted back into Safe Mode?
  7. Major_Trouble said:
    Going through with the installation in Safe Mode doesn't then give you an option to uninstall when rebooted back into Safe Mode?


    Actually now that you mention it the installation didn't ask me to reboot at all. there was an option under custom install to do a clean install.

    When I go to the nvidia folder in my c drive and try to run the NvCplSetupInt I get a "cannot overwrite c:\temp\nvidia\controlpanelinstallertemp\setup.exe access is denied"

    I've been running the application i downloaded from inno3d's website. The file is "3.20-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql" when I run it it states that the driver, hdaudio, and 3dvision have been installed.

    Edit: Ah when i run the nvcplsetupint it creates a temp folder and then deletes it without, as far as I can tell, doing anything further.
  8. i guess i should also say that my psu is 400w
  9. jajangmien said:
    i guess i should also say that my psu is 400w


    400W is quite low but that would also depend on the rest of your system if it was to cause issues. As the card is not drawing excess current etc when booting Windows I wouldn't think it your problem at that time. Besides you can get into Safe mode. It seems to be a confict somewhere which I would put down to the driver installation. That's not to say you won't experience instability when gaming. That would depend on the quality of the PSU.
  10. ok so after playing with it a lot I got fed up, and decided to just go ahead and reinstall windows.

    But now it hangs at completing installation. I have already tried unplugging all my usb periphs, and every time it attempts to complete installation the screen flashes and then it gets stuck.

    I really dont want to have to format my hdd as I've been unable to back it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  11. jajangmien said:
    ok so after playing with it a lot I got fed up, and decided to just go ahead and reinstall windows.

    But now it hangs at completing installation. I have already tried unplugging all my usb periphs, and every time it attempts to complete installation the screen flashes and then it gets stuck.

    I really dont want to have to format my hdd as I've been unable to back it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


    If you can boot into Safe mode you can back up your docs etc from there. You could try booting from a CD/DVD OS like Ubuntu to then be able to back up as well.
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Windows 7 Safe Mode