Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Skyrim PC Build on Ultra with lots of mods, preferably future proof

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 21, 2013 7:32:17 AM

Hi, i'm new to PC gaming and building PC's in general, and im really interested in building a gaming PC.

I want to build a PC for skyrim preferably that can run it on ultra settings, with a ton of mods, and have it be future proof if possible, i have NO IDEA where to start. ive been looking over stuff, reading builds and there are so many different ones, my head is hurting looking over them

my price range is $750-$1000. If it needs to be i can save up more and spend $1000-$1500 but that would be a VERY last resort, i dont really spend that kind of money on a computer. I would like to keep the price down as low as i can but high enough where i can get really good performance. ANY help would be nice, im new to all this so its frustrating.

the build would exclude, the keyboard, mouse, hard drive, speakers, and OS.

I want to go with AMD because ive herd they are better for over clocking, but if its better to go with Intel im in for it.





Best solution

July 21, 2013 7:34:36 AM
Share

Want overclocking ?



PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.49 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($154.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($403.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1105.37
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-21 10:42 EDT-0400)
July 21, 2013 7:38:01 AM

Marcopolo123 said:
Want overclocking ?


yes
Related resources
July 21, 2013 8:02:07 AM

Go with the Intel setup above. Skyrim is mostly processor bound and it prefers Intel chips.
July 21, 2013 8:05:46 AM

Marcopolo123 said:
Want overclocking ?



PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.49 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($154.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($403.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1105.37
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-21 10:42 EDT-0400)


rad666 said:
Go with the Intel setup above. Skyrim is mostly processor bound and it prefers Intel chips.


Will this be able to run with the 4k mod and all those cool mods? also would this be future proof, be able to upgrade it when i fell the need to
July 21, 2013 8:25:27 AM

If you want to add a second gpu get 750/850w psu.
July 21, 2013 8:29:16 AM

I'd consider a 7970 over a 770 for his requirements. You get 3GB vram instead of 2 which may make a difference when running a lot of mods.
July 21, 2013 8:35:51 AM

Nvidia cards are better for skyrim
A gtx 780 with 3gb would fit in budget ...
July 21, 2013 8:39:07 AM

ryanskeltis said:
Marcopolo123 said:
Want overclocking ?



PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.49 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($154.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($403.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1105.37
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-21 10:42 EDT-0400)


rad666 said:
Go with the Intel setup above. Skyrim is mostly processor bound and it prefers Intel chips.


Will this be able to run with the 4k mod and all those cool mods? also would this be future proof, be able to upgrade it when i fell the need to


It will do fine.

Marcopolo123 said:
Nvidia cards are better for skyrim
A gtx 780 with 3gb would fit in budget ...


Skyrim is heavily CPU bound, it really doesn't care what GPU you use.
July 21, 2013 9:22:30 AM

rad666 said:
ryanskeltis said:
Marcopolo123 said:
Want overclocking ?



PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.49 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($154.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($403.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1105.37
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-21 10:42 EDT-0400)


rad666 said:
Go with the Intel setup above. Skyrim is mostly processor bound and it prefers Intel chips.


Will this be able to run with the 4k mod and all those cool mods? also would this be future proof, be able to upgrade it when i fell the need to


It will do fine.

Marcopolo123 said:
Nvidia cards are better for skyrim
A gtx 780 with 3gb would fit in budget ...


Skyrim is heavily CPU bound, it really doesn't care what GPU you use.


i thought it was mainly the GPU that you use, that determines the how well it looks and runs
July 21, 2013 9:38:51 AM

ryanskeltis said:

i thought it was mainly the GPU that you use, that determines the how well it looks and runs


It depends heavily on what game you are talking about. While Skyrim will benefit from a strong GPU, it relies more on the CPU to get things done due to it's console roots.

As long as the GPU is a good one, it won't matter with Skyrim.
July 21, 2013 9:42:27 AM

rad666 said:
ryanskeltis said:

i thought it was mainly the GPU that you use, that determines the how well it looks and runs


It depends heavily on what game you are talking about. While Skyrim will benefit from a strong GPU, it relies more on the CPU to get things done due to it's console roots.

As long as the GPU is a good one, it won't matter with Skyrim.


where is a good website to find cases? i want something cool looking, its gonna be my first desktop so i want it to look cool
July 21, 2013 9:51:28 AM

ryanskeltis said:

where is a good website to find cases? i want something cool looking, its gonna be my first desktop so i want it to look cool


That depends on what you think is "cool looking", which may or may not agree with what I think is cool looking. I like simple and not ostentatious, functional and not overdone, minimalist if you will ;) 

If you REALLY want to and have the time, you can dig through this.
July 21, 2013 9:56:59 AM

socialassassin said:
I'd consider a 7970 over a 770 for his requirements. You get 3GB vram instead of 2 which may make a difference when running a lot of mods.


so what video card should i go with?
July 21, 2013 9:59:54 AM

ryanskeltis said:
socialassassin said:
I'd consider a 7970 over a 770 for his requirements. You get 3GB vram instead of 2 which may make a difference when running a lot of mods.


so what video card should i go with?


I like my Sapphire Vapor-X HD7970ghz, but I got lucky and got it cheap. The best bang for your buck right now are the 770s.
July 21, 2013 10:21:03 AM

socialassassin said:
I'd consider a 7970 over a 770 for his requirements. You get 3GB vram instead of 2 which may make a difference when running a lot of mods.


rad666 said:
ryanskeltis said:
socialassassin said:
I'd consider a 7970 over a 770 for his requirements. You get 3GB vram instead of 2 which may make a difference when running a lot of mods.


so what video card should i go with?


I like my Sapphire Vapor-X HD7970ghz, but I got lucky and got it cheap. The best bang for your buck right now are the 770s.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

is this the one your talking about?
July 21, 2013 10:24:57 AM

socialassassin said:
I'd consider a 7970 over a 770 for his requirements. You get 3GB vram instead of 2 which may make a difference when running a lot of mods.


rad666 said:
11200538,0,1367868 said:
11200110,0,1116734 said:
I'd consider a 7970 over a 770 for his requirements. You get 3GB vram instead of 2 which may make a difference when running a lot of mods.
said:
said:


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

is this the one your talking about?
July 22, 2013 8:27:35 PM

Great build, I'm doing something very similar. Noob here, so correct me if I'm wrong. But in the above build list, The power supply (1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin) doesn't seem to work very well with GTX 770 (requires 2 x 8-Pin Power Cable).
July 23, 2013 6:53:58 AM

surkins said:
Great build, I'm doing something very similar. Noob here, so correct me if I'm wrong. But in the above build list, The power supply (1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin) doesn't seem to work very well with GTX 770 (requires 2 x 8-Pin Power Cable).


It's easy enough to buy a 6-pin to 6+2-pin adapter for about $5. I'm using one myself.
July 23, 2013 11:20:39 AM

rad666 said:
surkins said:
Great build, I'm doing something very similar. Noob here, so correct me if I'm wrong. But in the above build list, The power supply (1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin) doesn't seem to work very well with GTX 770 (requires 2 x 8-Pin Power Cable).


It's easy enough to buy a 6-pin to 6+2-pin adapter for about $5. I'm using one myself.


I learned something new today. Thanks!
!