GT 640 as powerful as a PS3?

OscarTheTitan

Honorable
May 28, 2013
I was just doing a little research and I found out some interesting things about the GT 640 (well, actually the 640m but I don't think there is really a difference.) and it seems it is running games very similar to how well the PS3 runs. Like for example, BF3. I runs at 25-50 FPS on medium. The PS3 runs a tad worse than the 640 at around 25-35 give or take a few frames. Black Ops 2 is a similar situation. I know the PS3 runs BO2 at a solid 60 FPS. I think the PS3 is capped at 60 so it can't get higher but correct me if I'm wrong. The 640 runs it at 60-90. But at ultra because BO2 is not a graphically demanding game.
This pattern is present in many other games such as GTA 4.
However in some tests I viewed there was no clarification as to what graphics settings the games were tested at. I believe many older or less intece games could run on ultra just fine but they don't look quite as good on PS3. I reckon the 640 is better but is probably one of the few GPU's that closely match the PS3 graphics. The Radeon 7670(m) also performs similar.
What is your opinion? Am I right or far from it XD

Solution
In terms of specs you are correct but there are many things that you must take into consideration, things such as the software being specially optimized for the console in a way that it can't be optimized for the pc platform, also that the rest of your system resources are still running alternate processes aswell and that also taxes your system as a whole which is something that most consoles do not have to worry about. As I said, specs wise the card and the ps3's gpu are on par with one another but the ps3 also has a completely different architecture that is heavily optimized and capped at a certain frame rate. If you are looking to purchase a current gen console quality card without breaking the bank I would suggest spending only a...

xroe

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
In terms of specs you are correct but there are many things that you must take into consideration, things such as the software being specially optimized for the console in a way that it can't be optimized for the pc platform, also that the rest of your system resources are still running alternate processes aswell and that also taxes your system as a whole which is something that most consoles do not have to worry about. As I said, specs wise the card and the ps3's gpu are on par with one another but the ps3 also has a completely different architecture that is heavily optimized and capped at a certain frame rate. If you are looking to purchase a current gen console quality card without breaking the bank I would suggest spending only a bit more and getting the gtx 650 ti boost to ensure it can definitely hold its own for whats left of the current generations games.

Solution