Can a 7970 OC run 4 Monitors?

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I have 2 Sapphire 7970 OC in crossfire and they run 3 monitors great @5760x1080. These are three BenQ GL2460. I now got a fourth monitor and attached it on top of all three, with a wall mount. And i have it connected to the PC and the power and it's working, as a monitor it just always says "no signal" and i can't configure it in Windows resolution.

The fourth monitor is a Philips 190CW and it's preety old, i just want to use it as a "monitoring" display, to keep an eye out for temps ect...

If i go to options and check "extend desktop to this display" and hit apply it ALWAYS says "unable to save display settings".

I havent found anything yet on the internet that would help me in the last 2 days. So here is some additional info:

Cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

Here are the Connections:
DVI-I________>DVI-D Philips 190CW
DVI-D_______> DVI-D Benq GL2460
HDMI________> DVI-D Benq GL2460
Display Port__> DVI-D BenqGL2460

The adapter from DP-DVI I'm using is this, and without it i wasnt able to play on three monitors, but now I can:

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-005B-DisplayPort-Single-Link-Certified/dp/B004071ZX0/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368132336&sr=1-6

Please help, i don't want to buy ANOTHER gpu... Because I sure ain't leaving a dead monitor hoovering over my head...

Thank you in advance

Solution
In all honesty I don't. The only option I can think of, is selling one of the cards, and getting a card that has two display ports in addition to the two DVI ports. You can crossfire with other brands.

Otherwise, another possibilitiy, if you are adventurous, would be considering a riser card. This way you can move the smaller GPU to a more preferable location. There are several "flexible" riser cards on the market. Cheap too amazon has some for $2.50 lol.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

I dont think you get it... The monitors are connected as said in the description but the 4th monitor doesn't work. It's unable to be connected to the GPU, with any program or something. So tge question is, what am I doing wrong, or What do i have to do, in order to establish the 4 monitors.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
AMD Eyefinity technology works with games that support non-standard aspect ratios, which is required for panning across multiple displays. To enable more than two displays, additional panels with native DisplayPort™ connectors, and/or DisplayPort™ compliant active adapters to convert your monitor’s native input to your cards DisplayPort™ or Mini-DisplayPort™ connector(s), are required. Support for six simultaneous displays may require complementary products compatible with DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport. Maximum number of configured displays may vary - check with your component or system manufacturer for specific model capabilities and supported technologies. SLS (“Single Large Surface”) functionality requires an identical display resolution on all configured displays.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Naaah i cant buy that GPU, and I have a 3930k @4.0ghz...so no internal graphics.. But I have an Asrock X79 Extreme4, meaning it has 3 Pci-E Slots, 16x, 16x and 8x. I have my Sapphire Radeons at 16x, 16x meaning I still have another Pci-e. So what if I Buy something like a $40 dollar Nvidia GTX610 GPU?

Then I can put the GTX610 on the 8x slot, and have 3 more Monitor Outputs. Would that work? The thing is, I have a 850w PSU and the GTX uses around 30w, will this affet anything? Because i have a Corsair H100i and I'm running 10 fans... Would i be risking anything with this? And I would even get Physx and stuff...

Would this be possible?

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Oh, and about this. It says I need a display with DP input or an Active DP converter. But I already have that converter! So, what's the problem, my cards cant run 4 Monitors or something?

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
To run more than two monitors, you MUST use display port for the additional monitors. You can't use HDMI or DVI. Meaning you bought the wrong card. I guess most manufacturers figure people usually only run 3 montiors and then save $$ on an additional display port. Last gen, like my 6950s, that wasn't the case.

Yes a $40 GPU will work just fine for driving the extra monitor.

In most cases this means
DVI --> DVI
DVI --> DVI
DP --active adapter--> DVI
DP --active adapter--> DVI

Again you can only use two of the DVI,DVI, HDMI ports. Has to do with bandwidth limitation, only way around it is to use Display port.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Would you reccomend another Nvidia or Ati GPU? With Nvidia, I would get Physx ect, but would probably run into driver issues. With ATI I wouldn't i guess... What do you think?

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
I've never tried to running different brand GPUs on the same machine. No idea how that would play out. I'm sure someone has done it before, but I just don't have any experience to give any recommendations. I'd suggest opening up a new topic on that.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

You know what, I wont risk it. I'll just go with a HD 6450 512mb, which is like 36€ here and then I'm done. Just something to drive my 4th monitor. I'll select your answer as best, once i do this and check if it works, since I might have more problems... Thanks for now.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

I don't know how to feel... Either stupid, angry or sad.

I got the 6450 and all, took me about 1 and a half hours to take out my 2 7970s with all the wires... Only to find out i can't fit another GPU into my motherboard. It seems the giant 7970 cooler is too big and when in the 2nd PCIE slot it covers 3/4 of the slot beneath it. So now i have a 40$ gpu and i can't fit it in. Then i tried moving the 7970 to the lowest PCIE, where i first wanted the 6450. It's 8x sure, but it would giive me better airflow. Then i realise if i wanted to put the 7970 i'd have to take out all the usb cables and the power cable for the motherboard, which i'm not doing. So now I'm back here, with my 2 7970s overheating, a useless 6450 and a 8 year old monitor hovering over my head. It was a good day...

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
In all honesty I don't. The only option I can think of, is selling one of the cards, and getting a card that has two display ports in addition to the two DVI ports. You can crossfire with other brands.

Otherwise, another possibilitiy, if you are adventurous, would be considering a riser card. This way you can move the smaller GPU to a more preferable location. There are several "flexible" riser cards on the market. Cheap too amazon has some for $2.50 lol.

Solution

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Well i ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057M16Q8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1V0AQ0KYN51ZEZGGSDB3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

So hopefully I will be able to force it a little under the 7970 heatsink. As for the 6450, I'll attach it on the vertical bracket slot in my HAF922 and run the cable to there, if all goes well...

This SHOULD work... probably, but I think I won't be able to attach the side panel with my 200mm fan on the inside back, if the 6450 is there. However without that 200mm my 7970's cook in there.

But don't worry, this isn't another question, it's just an update. I'll report back somwhere this weekend or on monday, to tell what else went wrong.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

I just picked your answer as best, because i didn't YET get the riser card. So I'm gonna get it, but don't know when. For now this is done, but if i come across a new problem when i get the riser, I'll PM or just ask here. Thanks for your help, man. I'm gonna figure this out...