Solved

Ram Heat Spreader?

Well I'm going to buy this ram stick, but then people said on my other thread that the heat spreader on the ram stick might cause issues with clearance. What do they mean by issue with clearance?

Other Thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1742945/ram-compatible-mobo-cooler.html#11207786

Should i get a ram stick without a heat spreader so it will fit?
41 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ram heat spreader
  1. Heat spreaders are mostly marketing, and usually come with a price premium.
    Only if you are overclocking your ram to record levels might fancy heat spreaders be a good thing.
    Yes, tall heat spreaders can interfere with many aftermarket cpu coolers.
    The ares series will work just as well, and cost a bit less too:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231560
  2. DDR3, the fins are not needed. With earlier version (DDR2) it may have been an issue due to heat dissipation.

    The problem is, with 4 sticks, a lot of the large aftermarket coolers/fans hang over Slot one.

    That depends a lot on the motherboard and the cooler.

    For instance, my Gigabyte z77x-D3H, Hyper 212+, Corsair Vengeance low profile...I could not use finned RAM in slot one. There is ~3/16" clearance between the top of the slot 1 ram stick and the cooler fan. Yes...measured it just the other day. RAM with 'cooling' fins would cause conflict with the fan. And moving the fan results in lower performance.

    Those fins do little but look neat, and I'd rather get performance rather than cool looking RAM fins.
  3. Heat spreaders are a remnant of DDR2 days when RAM actually needed cooling. Nowadays, the only cooling purpose the serve is to "look cool". Use a low profile RAM to avoid interference issues.

    These are faster , cheaper and no silly toothy heat sinks. Here's a OLD article on the subject before Corsair released their low profile Vengeance series.

    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=773&Itemid=67&limit=1&limitstart=1
    Quote:
    At more than 2" tall in certain areas the Corsair Vengeance could pose a problem for users like me who use large coolers such as the Scythe Mugen 2. I was able to use the Corsair Vengeance only after I mounted the fan on my cooler on the backside. Size is definitely a concern with heat spreaders of this size and therefore I encourage users to check that they will have enough space under their heatsinks before purchasing the Corsair Vengeance kit.


    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=773&Itemid=67&limit=1&limitstart=6
    Quote:
    The problem I have with the Corsair Vengeance is the same I have with many kits of RAM on the market. Companies insist on putting large coolers on their RAM and it limits the choice in CPU heatsinks that can be used within users system. DDR3 does not require these elaborate coolers with its lower voltages which translate to lower temperatures then RAM saw during the DDR, and DDR2 era. Corsair is correcting this with low profile versions of its Vengeance ......
  4. If you ar using a third party heatsink on the CPU many are oversize and extend over the sticks of DRAM...in many cases the heatsinks on lower end DRAM are not really required (1333-1600 CL9), but heat dissipation is suggested with high performance and higher freq DRAM like 1600/CL7 1866/CL8 and above freqs. Some coolers like the 212+ (mentioned above and it's newer 212 EVO have adjustable fans that allow you to raise the the fan, and No there's no performance loss, by doing so, I've used well over 100 of these with both LP sticks and the even the tallest ones like the GSkill Tridents with no difference in their cooling abilities
  5. JackNaylorPE said:
    Heat spreaders are a remnant of DDR2 days when RAM actually needed cooling. Nowadays, the only cooling purpose the serve is to "look cool". Use a low profile RAM to avoid interference issues.

    These are faster , cheaper and no silly toothy heat sinks. Here's a OLD article on the subject before Corsair released their low profile Vengeance series.

    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=773&Itemid=67&limit=1&limitstart=1
    Quote:
    At more than 2" tall in certain areas the Corsair Vengeance could pose a problem for users like me who use large coolers such as the Scythe Mugen 2. I was able to use the Corsair Vengeance only after I mounted the fan on my cooler on the backside. Size is definitely a concern with heat spreaders of this size and therefore I encourage users to check that they will have enough space under their heatsinks before purchasing the Corsair Vengeance kit.


    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=773&Itemid=67&limit=1&limitstart=6
    Quote:
    The problem I have with the Corsair Vengeance is the same I have with many kits of RAM on the market. Companies insist on putting large coolers on their RAM and it limits the choice in CPU heatsinks that can be used within users system. DDR3 does not require these elaborate coolers with its lower voltages which translate to lower temperatures then RAM saw during the DDR, and DDR2 era. Corsair is correcting this with low profile versions of its Vengeance ......




    They say in the comments that this is a low profile ram stick

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231615

    If those dont fit maybe these will

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-231-560&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=100&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

    Anyone wanna tell me if they do? :D
  6. Best answer
    Yes no problem - You'll be fine, the case is nice and wide with room for most any heatsink out there that I know of
  7. Tradesman1 said:
    Yes no problem - You'll be fine, the case is nice and wide with room for most any heatsink out there that I know of



    So that G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series ram will work right? :D

    Because they look epic....
  8. loc chuong said:


    6 months or a year from now, when you want to add another 2 sticks......identical RAM will not work.

    Why limit your choices from the start?
  9. loc chuong said:


    Because they look epic....


    That is the only purpose of those fins. To look cool.
    They perform exactly the same function as the fins on your grandads '59 Cadillac. They look cool.
  10. USAFRet said:
    loc chuong said:


    6 months or a year from now, when you want to add another 2 sticks......identical RAM will not work.

    Why limit your choices from the start?


    I will never need more than 16 gb ram lol
    Plus.. i plan on using this pc for a long time the way it is :)
    Not crazy rich to constantly get the newest of the new parts
  11. There is no way to tell what will fit without knowing what cooler you will use, and possibly the motherboard.
    Looking back at your other post, I see that you will be using a Noctua NH-U14S
    That is a fine cooler, and not very deep. You should have no problem. If necessary, the fan can be pushed up higher, or mounted in a pull configuration.

    And... since you have budget limitations, 1600 speed will perform within 1-2% of 1866 in real app performance or fps.
  12. loc chuong said:


    I will never need more than 16 gb ram lol
    Plus.. i plan on using this pc for a long time the way it is :)


    Famous last words.
  13. USAFRet said:
    loc chuong said:


    I will never need more than 16 gb ram lol
    Plus.. i plan on using this pc for a long time the way it is :)


    Famous last words.



    From where o.o
  14. I myself think you are taking the sensible approach, you've obviously done some research, so you'll have to go with what YOU want, their will always be those telling you that you are doing the wrong thing, or you should buy what they tell you, Since it's your choice, suggest just taking things in as suggestions then if more explanation need ask.
  15. geofelt said:
    There is no way to tell what will fit without knowing what cooler you will use, and possibly the motherboard.
    Looking back at your other post, I see that you will be using a Noctua NH-U14S
    That is a fine cooler, and not very deep. You should have no problem. If necessary, the fan can be pushed up higher, or mounted in a pull configuration.

    And... since you have budget limitations, 1600 speed will perform within 1-2% of 1866 in real app performance or fps.



    Well, i wouldn't mind spending another hundred since it total which every single thing i need to use the pc it only costs about 1200-1300. the PC itself only costs 1000-1100. Actually planned to buy windows 7 disc which would add another 200 but i decided to buy the oem which costs 100 less. So yea i could spend another 100 no prob :)
  16. Tradesman1 said:
    I myself think you are taking the sensible approach, you've obviously done some research, so you'll have to go with what YOU want, their will always be those telling you that you are doing the wrong thing, or you should buy what they tell you, Since it's your choice, suggest just taking things in as suggestions then if more explanation need ask.



    I've actually have done quiet alot of research on Pcs the last week. Actually the whole week I've haven't played a single game and been researching lol. Need to know what your buying before you buy it :)
  17. Got that right! and then when the rig is up, you'll be gaming to your hearts content ;)
  18. Tradesman1 said:
    Got that right! and then when the rig is up, you'll be gaming to your hearts content ;)



    Haha no kiddin
  19. Tradesman1 said:
    Yes no problem - You'll be fine, the case is nice and wide with room for most any heatsink out there that I know of


    This post is talking about a CPU cooler in relation to case width, not the original question about RAM fin clearance.
  20. Yes it was in response to the question about the case
  21. USAFRet said:
    Tradesman1 said:
    Yes no problem - You'll be fine, the case is nice and wide with room for most any heatsink out there that I know of


    This post is talking about a CPU cooler in relation to case width, not the original question about RAM fin clearance.



    Just wanted to make sure the CPU Cooler fits in the case and it didnt touch my ram is all
    Can't exactly choose more than one subject :P
  22. This is what we call multi-tasking - keeping up with everything at once ;)
  23. loc chuong said:
    USAFRet said:
    Tradesman1 said:
    Yes no problem - You'll be fine, the case is nice and wide with room for most any heatsink out there that I know of


    This post is talking about a CPU cooler in relation to case width, not the original question about RAM fin clearance.



    Just wanted to make sure the CPU Cooler fits in the case and it didnt touch my ram is all
    Can't exactly choose more than one subject :P


    The cooler fitting the case and the cooler clearing the RAM are two different things.
    My Hyper 212+ fits the case, but would not clear 4 of those RAM fins/
  24. USAFRet said:
    loc chuong said:
    USAFRet said:
    Tradesman1 said:
    Yes no problem - You'll be fine, the case is nice and wide with room for most any heatsink out there that I know of


    This post is talking about a CPU cooler in relation to case width, not the original question about RAM fin clearance.



    Just wanted to make sure the CPU Cooler fits in the case and it didnt touch my ram is all
    Can't exactly choose more than one subject :P


    The cooler fitting the case and the cooler clearing the RAM are two different things.
    My Hyper 212+ fits the case, but would not clear 4 of those RAM fins/



    Well, my ram only has 2 sticks so i wouldnt care if the cpu cooler blocked the ram slot closest to it.
  25. And your fan is adjustable, have used a ton of those and it won't affect performance in any discernible manner
  26. Tradesman1 said:
    And your fan is adjustable, have used a ton of those and it won't affect performance in any discernible manner



    When you said adjustable. What do you exactly mean by that? Like i can put it back a bit so it doesn't touch the ram or something? If my sources are right, the CPU cooler lets u put how high u want it so it doesn't touch the ram. The things that connect the fan to the heatsink are rubber of sort that can be aligned with the fins to go higher( height of fan )


    ==============================================================================
    Actually, i think i was thinking of another fan lol. Got confused. Thought this fan was another :P
  27. As as mentioned earlier it's adjustable for height, same with the back if you add a second fan (it comes with a bracket to add a fan to the back if you wish. ;) Just a little extra thing...
  28. Tradesman1 said:
    As as mentioned earlier it's adjustable for height, same with the back if you add a second fan (it comes with a bracket to add a fan to the back if you wish. ;) Just a little extra thing...



    I probably will buy fans for my case but probably one by one instead of buying like 7 at a time. Can't be spending a crazy amount for just some fans that decreases like what 2-3 degrees in total? lol
  29. You have a plan!
  30. Tradesman1 said:
    You have a plan!



    I actually searched up if i should put one fan as intake or exhaust for each fan lol
  31. When running two I pull in from the front and push out from the rear towards the case's rear exhaust fan
  32. Tradesman1 said:
    When running two I pull in from the front and push out from the rear towards the case's rear exhaust fan



    Would it look like this?

    |
    |
    [Fan]<-Fan-[HS]<-Fan
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |PSU_________________

    Something like that i guess. Pretty much both the fans facing towards the Rear Fan?
  33. yep, going into graphic arts are we ?
  34. Tradesman1 said:
    yep, going into graphic arts are we ?



    No? lol
    I can draw but only IRL
    Even if i draw in real life i need some object to get me going like a picture of an anime character or its pretty hard for me to draw anything good.
  35. Was just fooling with you ;) Am looking forward to hearing about your build
  36. Tradesman1 said:
    Was just fooling with you ;) Am looking forward to hearing about your build



    Well u saw my build already lol

    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1743078/ten-build.html
  37. I want to see the finished product!
  38. Well right now im trying to find a video of someone install the Noctua NH U14S but been only finding similar products to it for installation. I can probably install it with that much info though. And hey, theres always the manual :)

    Starting to get annoyed on how there are installation versions of the other versions of Noctua but not the one I'm using =.=
  39. Tradesman1 said:
    I want to see the finished product!



    Haha ill be sure to send pics of it once it get it. Probably won't be soon though. Probably in like 2 weeks or 3. Building up the money :)
  40. C U then !
Ask a new question

Read More

Heat RAM Memory