Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

How long will the FX 8320/8350 (O/Ced) still be good enough for high end gaming

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
July 22, 2013 4:05:46 PM

Will it do for 5 years?

More about : long 8320 8350 ced good high end gaming

a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 22, 2013 4:08:31 PM

Is it good for high end gaming now? I thought it was for the budget conscience gamer who doesn't care about efficiency.
Score
0
July 22, 2013 4:15:08 PM

Traciatim said:
Is it good for high end gaming now? I thought it was for the budget conscience gamer who doesn't care about efficiency.


Fine, let me rephrase that. How long will it be able to play games on very high settings? And perform in intensive use? Assuming it was used with a good GPU/other hardware
Score
0
Related resources
a c 210 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 22, 2013 4:15:08 PM

It should be fine for quite some time to come...it will be good for at least as long as any other CPU out there.

EDIT: Don't mind the Intel crowd...they like to brag about faster iTunes downloads...
Score
0
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2013 4:21:55 PM

8350rocks said:
It should be fine for quite some time to come...it will be good for at least as long as any other CPU out there.

EDIT: Don't mind the Intel crowd...they like to brag about faster iTunes downloads...


And higher framerates.
Score
1
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 22, 2013 4:22:56 PM

Seriously - How high you OC your cpu and how well you cool it will have the greatest effect on longevity.
-Bruce
Score
0
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 22, 2013 4:23:30 PM

8350rocks said:
It should be fine for quite some time to come...it will be good for at least as long as any other CPU out there.

EDIT: Don't mind the Intel crowd...they like to brag about faster iTunes downloads...


Maybe we like to brag because their gear is far superior currently, but you can keep shilling your awesome room heating advantage.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2013 4:26:56 PM

dish_moose said:
Seriously - How high you OC your cpu and how well you cool it will have the greatest effect on longevity.
-Bruce


I think he's asking about performance.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 22, 2013 4:27:33 PM

Can we keep this thread focused on the OP?
-Bruce
Score
0
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 22, 2013 4:29:30 PM

^ I see - I did misread. I feel it will keep you happy .... not sure about 5 years. As long as your gpu(s) are up to the task you will be fine for a while. After all my old cpu is still working fine for the games I like - COD.
-Bruce
Score
0
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2013 5:28:17 PM

An overclocked 8320/8350 will be good for 5 years no problem, if you pair it with decent GPUs along the way. I used a stock Phenom II 3ghz for 4 years, and the 8350 I have now is definitely poised to last longer since its 8 core and game devs are starting to finally use 4+ cores.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2013 1:10:09 AM

The 8350 will be fine a few years from now on most games. In fact I know people running modern games on old dual core CPUs (Core 2 duo). There will probably be a few exceptions, games that are very CPU intensive, but only a few. (eg Starcraft II on ultra CPU settings I've heard lags on an 8120)
Score
0

Best solution

a c 164 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 23, 2013 3:17:56 AM

probably not 5 years, maybe 3. But there will be an increasing trend of games taking advantage of 8 core cpu's, like the fx 8350, in the future. Being such a close price to something like the i5 3570k (at least in my country, Australia), for gaming you would always take the i5. The i5 it is better overall for gaming and more versatile, it does well in well threaded games and games that aren't well threaded, and FPU heavy games. Some examples - You will see a big difference in something like Skyrim, that is actually well threaded and see's a benefit from 8 core cpu's, but the FX 8 core cpu's only have 4 FPU's that aren't very powerful, and the intel cpu's dominate. Something like Crysis 3 evens things up, it is well threaded and the i5's run overall pretty similar to the 8350, depending on the reviewer and benchmark scenario. A game like BF3 isnt cpu demanding at all and will run on either cpu almost identically. Overall with the i5, you don't miss out on performance in any gaming scenario.
Share
May 11, 2015 9:16:48 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
probably not 5 years, maybe 3. But there will be an increasing trend of games taking advantage of 8 core cpu's, like the fx 8350, in the future. Being such a close price to something like the i5 3570k (at least in my country, Australia), for gaming you would always take the i5. The i5 it is better overall for gaming and more versatile, it does well in well threaded games and games that aren't well threaded, and FPU heavy games. Some examples - You will see a big difference in something like Skyrim, that is actually well threaded and see's a benefit from 8 core cpu's, but the FX 8 core cpu's only have 4 FPU's that aren't very powerful, and the intel cpu's dominate. Something like Crysis 3 evens things up, it is well threaded and the i5's run overall pretty similar to the 8350, depending on the reviewer and benchmark scenario. A game like BF3 isnt cpu demanding at all and will run on either cpu almost identically. Overall with the i5, you don't miss out on performance in any gaming scenario.


Mate the Xbox one and PS4 use 8 core AMD CPU's that aren't as good as the FX8320 and are you saying they will only run games for 3 years also? The FX8320 will run games for least another 3 or 4 years
and btw it's 2 years since you posted that dumb comment
Score
0
a c 164 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 12, 2015 7:49:56 PM

steelninja said:
iam2thecrowe said:
probably not 5 years, maybe 3. But there will be an increasing trend of games taking advantage of 8 core cpu's, like the fx 8350, in the future. Being such a close price to something like the i5 3570k (at least in my country, Australia), for gaming you would always take the i5. The i5 it is better overall for gaming and more versatile, it does well in well threaded games and games that aren't well threaded, and FPU heavy games. Some examples - You will see a big difference in something like Skyrim, that is actually well threaded and see's a benefit from 8 core cpu's, but the FX 8 core cpu's only have 4 FPU's that aren't very powerful, and the intel cpu's dominate. Something like Crysis 3 evens things up, it is well threaded and the i5's run overall pretty similar to the 8350, depending on the reviewer and benchmark scenario. A game like BF3 isnt cpu demanding at all and will run on either cpu almost identically. Overall with the i5, you don't miss out on performance in any gaming scenario.


Mate the Xbox one and PS4 use 8 core AMD CPU's that aren't as good as the FX8320 and are you saying they will only run games for 3 years also? The FX8320 will run games for least another 3 or 4 years
and btw it's 2 years since you posted that dumb comment


consoles are completely different, the devs program specifically for the hardware. I did specify that if games start using its 8 cores it will be ok, who can predict the future? still games are bieing made that heavily rely on 2 main threads for good fps. Oh, and the discussion was about high end gaming, not weather or not it will run games at all, anyone interested in high end wouldn't buy an amd cpu, it would make no sense, intel still has a large advantage in many games. Im glad you realised the article is 2 years old, i will close it since it has a best answer.
Score
0