Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Can I put 7870 in old process/motherboard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 22, 2013 8:14:21 PM

I have a Core 2 Quad @ 2.33ghz from dell about 4-5 years ago paired with dell's stock motherboard

Will the cpu bottleneck the gpu?

If it does, by ALOT?
Approximately how much % decrease
July 22, 2013 8:44:23 PM

The CPU bottleneck depends on the game. Some games use more the GPU than the CPU, but it varies. So, it might or might not.

If you plan to buy Radeon HD7870, you should check the PCI-Express version that you motherboard supports
(You can check it with the GPU-Z->bus interface if you have a dedicated graphics card in your PCI-Express slot).

You might also need to buy a new power supply because you will need two 6-pin power connectors for HD7870.

In some Dell's computers you could not put a dual-slot graphics cards. So, be sure that the card would fit in.

Could you provide an image of the inside of your computer?
m
0
l
July 22, 2013 8:48:25 PM

robert_johnson said:
The CPU bottleneck depends on the game. Some games use more the GPU than the CPU, but it varies. So, it might or might not.

If you plan to buy Radeon HD7870, you should check the PCI-Express version that you motherboard supports
(You can check it with the GPU-Z->bus interface if you have a dedicated graphics card in your PCI-Express slot).

You might also need to buy a new power supply because you will need two 6-pin power connectors for HD7870.

In some Dell's computers you could not put a dual-slot graphics cards. So, be sure that the card would fit in.

Could you provide an image of the inside of your computer?


Thanks for your help. I have work tomorrow morning, so I can get an image tomorrow evening the earliest.
I have a new dynex atx 520w psu and the motherboard does support dual slot gpu because I have a 6670 in it currently

I plan to play Counterstrike global offensive on med-high settings 1920x1080
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 22, 2013 9:05:19 PM

cedzc said:
robert_johnson said:
The CPU bottleneck depends on the game. Some games use more the GPU than the CPU, but it varies. So, it might or might not.

If you plan to buy Radeon HD7870, you should check the PCI-Express version that you motherboard supports
(You can check it with the GPU-Z->bus interface if you have a dedicated graphics card in your PCI-Express slot).

You might also need to buy a new power supply because you will need two 6-pin power connectors for HD7870.

In some Dell's computers you could not put a dual-slot graphics cards. So, be sure that the card would fit in.

Could you provide an image of the inside of your computer?


Thanks for your help. I have work tomorrow morning, so I can get an image tomorrow evening the earliest.
I have a new dynex atx 520w psu and the motherboard does support dual slot gpu because I have a 6670 in it currently

I plan to play Counterstrike global offensive on med-high settings 1920x1080


Your PSU has the required connectors. By saying dual-slot, I mean the space that the card takes (because you will remove your 6670 anyway if you are getting 7870).

As for the Counter-Strike Global Offensive, with HD7870 it should run flawlessly.
You could check the benchmark here:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Counter-Strike-Global-Offe...
Share
July 23, 2013 4:30:47 AM

robert_johnson said:
cedzc said:
robert_johnson said:
The CPU bottleneck depends on the game. Some games use more the GPU than the CPU, but it varies. So, it might or might not.

If you plan to buy Radeon HD7870, you should check the PCI-Express version that you motherboard supports
(You can check it with the GPU-Z->bus interface if you have a dedicated graphics card in your PCI-Express slot).

You might also need to buy a new power supply because you will need two 6-pin power connectors for HD7870.

In some Dell's computers you could not put a dual-slot graphics cards. So, be sure that the card would fit in.

Could you provide an image of the inside of your computer?


Thanks for your help. I have work tomorrow morning, so I can get an image tomorrow evening the earliest.
I have a new dynex atx 520w psu and the motherboard does support dual slot gpu because I have a 6670 in it currently

I plan to play Counterstrike global offensive on med-high settings 1920x1080


Your PSU has the required connectors. By saying dual-slot, I mean the space that the card takes (because you will remove your 6670 anyway if you are getting 7870).

As for the Counter-Strike Global Offensive, with HD7870 it should run flawlessly.
You could check the benchmark here:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Counter-Strike-Global-Offe...


Thanks! Sorry for the misunderstanding, but the 6670 takes up two slots is what I was trying to say.
m
0
l
!