Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 7 won't start after installing an extra [empty] hard drive

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 23, 2013 5:57:47 PM

I just received a new 2TB Seagate HDD from Newegg today, and after plugging it in, Windows won't boot up. It gets to the Windows logo and says "Starting Windows" and just hangs there for eternity. I have a total of 3 hard drives, one of which is a SSD and contains windows, the other is a 1TB storage disk and just contains files. The new one is completely untouched. I've tried various configurations, such as SSD + HDD1 + HDD2, SSD + HDD1, SSD + HDD2. It will only get past the windows logo when the new hard drive isn't plugged in. I'm currently making a bootable thumb drive with windows 7 on it to try and test out the new hard drive. Any other advice or thoughts on the problem? System specs are listed below for anyone who is curious.

Edit: Forgot to note that the Seagate drive does show up in the BIOS. I guess I should also note that these are all newer drives (as shown below) and they are all SATA drives (no IDE stuff here). Also, when the Seagate is plugged in and the system boots up, something makes two loud beeping sounds (I assume they come from the Seagate HDD).

Edit2: After trying to boot into windows setup with only the Seagate connected, I get stuck at the Starting Windows + Windows logo again. Dead drive?

Specs:
i5-2500k @ stock
P8P67 Pro
Radeon HD 6950 Pro @ stock
Cooler Master 750W PSU
Boot Drive: Samsung 830 Pro 256GB
Current Data Drive: Samsung HD103SJ 1TB (one of the actual Samsungs)
New Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB
a b $ Windows 7
a c 812 G Storage
July 23, 2013 7:58:10 PM

Are all the drives detected in the bios?
m
0
l
July 23, 2013 8:11:42 PM

popatim said:
Are all the drives detected in the bios?


Yes. If all three of the drives are attached, they are all detected in the bios.

m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 812 G Storage
July 23, 2013 8:19:31 PM

boot windows up without the new hdd attached. When in windows attach the cables to the new hdd and see if you can format it.
m
0
l
July 23, 2013 8:29:48 PM

popatim said:
boot windows up without the new hdd attached. When in windows attach the cables to the new hdd and see if you can format it.


It does not show up if I plug it in while Windows is running. I checked both in My Computer and in Computer Management > Disk Management. Good idea though, I hadn't even thought of that.

m
0
l
July 24, 2013 5:10:39 AM

I feel like a scumbag, but bump. I'm eager to get this back in the mail if you guys also think this is DoA.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 6:32:52 AM

everix said:
popatim said:
boot windows up without the new hdd attached. When in windows attach the cables to the new hdd and see if you can format it.


It does not show up if I plug it in while Windows is running. I checked both in My Computer and in Computer Management > Disk Management. Good idea though, I hadn't even thought of that.


To be able to hot swap drives like that while in windows you need to make sure you have AHCI enabled in the bios. If AHCI is on, then the drive may have a problem with it.
To confirm AHCI is on try to disconnect/reconnect one of your extra drives to see if windows will see it when you reconnect it.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 8:24:51 AM

TheGlow said:
everix said:
popatim said:
boot windows up without the new hdd attached. When in windows attach the cables to the new hdd and see if you can format it.


It does not show up if I plug it in while Windows is running. I checked both in My Computer and in Computer Management > Disk Management. Good idea though, I hadn't even thought of that.


To be able to hot swap drives like that while in windows you need to make sure you have AHCI enabled in the bios. If AHCI is on, then the drive may have a problem with it.
To confirm AHCI is on try to disconnect/reconnect one of your extra drives to see if windows will see it when you reconnect it.


The SATA mode (or whatever it's called) was set to AHCI in the BIOS. When I plugged in the other drive, I tried unplugging and plugging back in my other drive and it showed back up.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 812 G Storage
July 24, 2013 11:11:26 AM

which port do you have the seagate attached to? the p8p67 has the intel ports (both sata3 and 2) as well as two ports on a marvel controller and a jmicron controller for the 2 esata ports. If you have it on the marvel controller (navy blue ports) then make sure its enabled and in ahci mode or try moving it to an intel sata 2 (blue) port. Make sure the intel ports is set to ahci also. if its on an intel port try moving it to the marvell just to see what happens.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 11:37:52 AM

popatim said:
which port do you have the seagate attached to? the p8p67 has the intel ports (both sata3 and 2) as well as two ports on a marvel controller and a jmicron controller for the 2 esata ports. If you have it on the marvel controller (navy blue ports) then make sure its enabled and in ahci mode or try moving it to an intel sata 2 (blue) port. Make sure the intel ports is set to ahci also. if its on an intel port try moving it to the marvell just to see what happens.

I have the same board and those Marvell ports can be problems. You have to set those to AHCI as well as they're independent from the main 6 intel ports.
Sadly my dvd drive sometimes isnt detected in windows. I know it worked at one point when I use it, thena few days later with no reboot, its not there. I just switched it back to an intel port and all's been fine.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 11:48:57 AM

TheGlow said:
popatim said:
which port do you have the seagate attached to? the p8p67 has the intel ports (both sata3 and 2) as well as two ports on a marvel controller and a jmicron controller for the 2 esata ports. If you have it on the marvel controller (navy blue ports) then make sure its enabled and in ahci mode or try moving it to an intel sata 2 (blue) port. Make sure the intel ports is set to ahci also. if its on an intel port try moving it to the marvell just to see what happens.

I have the same board and those Marvell ports can be problems. You have to set those to AHCI as well as they're independent from the main 6 intel ports.
Sadly my dvd drive sometimes isnt detected in windows. I know it worked at one point when I use it, thena few days later with no reboot, its not there. I just switched it back to an intel port and all's been fine.


I've tried connecting it to the Intel 3GB/s and 6GB/s and it didn't work with either. I've never touched the marvel ports before since I heard it was better to use the Intel ports. I'll give the marvels a try when I get home, but at this point I'm pretty doubtful they will help.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 6:22:55 PM

I tried plugging it into the Marvel port when I got home and had the same problem.
m
0
l
!