Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Future CPU upgrade.

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Intel
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Motherboards
  • Performance
  • Graphics Cards
Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 352 à CPUs
a c 240 À AMD
a c 136 V Motherboard
July 23, 2013 10:48:06 PM

So I built a gaming computer on a budget to run what I wanted it to, without breaking the bank. I also manged to pass this off with one of my teachers to be my senior project. Since It was on a budget it is becoming sub par with next gen games coming out. My full specs are listed below but I have a AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE on an Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard. I was wondering what upgrade would be worth it for that, as I would like to not have to replace my motherboard to switch to intel. If there was such a huge performance that I would have to I could to that, but I would prefer not to as money can be an issue for me. The main reason a new CPU is needed is to run next gen games, and better graphics cards as I cant get past a 7850 or a 650Ti.

More about : future cpu upgrade

a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2013 10:57:50 PM

just give the cpu a bit of an OC. then get a new gpu and an FX steamroller when they release later in the year.
the Phenom II x4 were and still are beasts, and unless you do a lot of multithreaded stuff, a Vishera FX isnt worth the upgrade, but steamroller looks promising
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 352 à CPUs
a c 240 À AMD
a c 136 V Motherboard
July 23, 2013 11:00:01 PM

Im planning at the moment to OC to at least 4 GHz and getting the 650Ti boost superclocked. Would it be worth my money, to your best guess, to wait on both a cpu upgrade and the gpu upgrade until I can get a new FX. If so do you know which FX to get?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2013 11:06:33 PM

Your CPU is fine... Once game producers start to optimise their titles for multi core (many already have) your CPU will do the job perfectly.
personally, get an aftermarket cooler for the CPu (if you dont have one...) push 4 GHz and get a 7850 or a GTX 650Boost (i had to make this decision myself aswell and i opted for the 7850 2 GB because of the 256bit memory mainly...)
OR you can wait for a few months untill AMD releases the 8xxx (or 9xxx) graphi seris and wait for a 7870 price drop
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2013 11:06:41 PM

Gam3r01 said:
Im planning at the moment to OC to at least 4 GHz and getting the 650Ti boost superclocked. Would it be worth my money, to your best guess, to wait on both a cpu upgrade and the gpu upgrade until I can get a new FX. If so do you know which FX to get?

if you were to get the 650ti now, and OC the Phenom, it should last for a while until you can get a cpu upgrade.
its a bit early to say on the particular FX, but you can always get a Vishera if Steamroller ends up being a fail.

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 352 à CPUs
a c 240 À AMD
a c 136 V Motherboard
July 23, 2013 11:15:56 PM

So Im probably going to OC and get a new card for the moment, which makes my wallet feel better too. Now this is staring to turn into a gpu question. Im not going to go in depth, if I need to I will go over to the other threads.
Simply put, is getting the 7850 2gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
vs the 650 ti Boost Superclocked http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
going to give me any discernible difference in gaming, let alone a 40 dollar difference?
Im also, depending on when I get the money, going to see price drops then. At the moment though, opinions?
Also just double checking what I already think, the Steamrollers will work on this board correct?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2013 11:22:01 PM

the difference between the 2 cards, performance wise, are minimal. The extra 40 bucks in favor of the 7850 are the 256 bit memory and the cooler. Blower type coolers, like the 650ti one, tend to go louder then the others.
The 7850 can be OCd very easy... enable AMD overdrive in catalys, increase max power by 10% and you have a GHz card witch is very good :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 352 à CPUs
a c 240 À AMD
a c 136 V Motherboard
July 23, 2013 11:29:18 PM

Yeah I somehow by some miracle got my 7750 closer that I thought possible to the GHz range, all thanks to CCC. Would, including cooling, because my jet engine stock amd cpu cooler is getting on my nerves, easy OC, and 256bit warrant the extra 40 dollars though? I'm all about performance per dollar, which is one reason I got the 965.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2013 11:30:19 PM

Gam3r01 said:
So Im probably going to OC and get a new card for the moment, which makes my wallet feel better too. Now this is staring to turn into a gpu question. Im not going to go in depth, if I need to I will go over to the other threads.
Simply put, is getting the 7850 2gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
vs the 650 ti Boost Superclocked http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
going to give me any discernible difference in gaming, let alone a 40 dollar difference?
Im also, depending on when I get the money, going to see price drops then. At the moment though, opinions?
Also just double checking what I already think, the Steamrollers will work on this board correct?


yes, steamroller is going to be am3+. while the m5a97 is am3, it supports the am3+ cpus with a bios update, which you probably have. my friend has a m5a97 with a 8120, and its fine

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2013 11:31:31 PM

crisan_tiberiu said:
the difference between the 2 cards, performance wise, are minimal. The extra 40 bucks in favor of the 7850 are the 256 bit memory and the cooler. Blower type coolers, like the 650ti one, tend to go louder then the others.
The 7850 can be OCd very easy... enable AMD overdrive in catalys, increase max power by 10% and you have a GHz card witch is very good :) 

currently the EVGA superclocked 660 is on sale on newegg, for the same price as the 7850 listed by OP. would that be better?

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2013 11:35:29 PM

the 660 its a good card. The comparison kinda goes like this: gtx 650ti boost ~ radeon 7790, gtx 660 ~ radeon 7850, gtx 660ti ~ radeon 7870 etc.
So the difference can be made either fliping a coin or what do you prefer more, AMD or Nvidia :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 352 à CPUs
a c 240 À AMD
a c 136 V Motherboard
July 23, 2013 11:41:16 PM

I would prefer AMD over Nvidia, I have always had AMD so I just like them more, even though Nvidia did give me a shirt at E3... But My best guess is that sale wont last long enough for me to get money enough to buy the new card.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2013 1:03:57 AM

go with the 7870 :D  wierd stuff on the "egg" :) )))
m
0
l
!