Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need help upgrading my old gaming rig!

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 24, 2013 12:05:58 AM

Alright I have this as a base right now, Im wondering if I should get a new processor and mobo, or just OC this. Would it make a big difference in gaming to update to i5 3570K/ Z77 motherboard ?


Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 LGA1366 i7 Heatpipe Cooler W/ 2XNH-P12 120MM Fan

Coolermaster Haf 922 Mid Tower ATX Case Black 5X5.25 5X3.5INT Front Audio USB eSATA No PSU

MSI X58M X58 mATX LGA1366 DDR3 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI-E4 CrossFire SLI SATA2 GBLAN Mot

Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 4.2MS 32MB 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM

Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 -SLBEJ-


If you recommend sticking with what I have, I need a new graphic card, Power supply and ram.

For the graphic card Ill get a GTX 760.

I need help chosing the right RAM !

Thank you.

More about : upgrading gaming rig

July 24, 2013 12:09:15 AM

What is your monitor setup? What resolutions will you be playing at? What games do you plan on playing?

The current build that you have is fine for gaming at 1080P with the proper video card and with a decent OC. the 920 is a beast of an overclocker as well.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 24, 2013 12:10:31 AM

What ram do you have right now?
m
0
l
Related resources
July 24, 2013 12:21:37 AM

bob hays said:
What ram do you have right now?


No ram right now, need help picking some if I stick with my i7-920
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 12:24:12 AM

Anthony Hidalgo said:
What is your monitor setup? What resolutions will you be playing at? What games do you plan on playing?

The current build that you have is fine for gaming at 1080P with the proper video card and with a decent OC. the 920 is a beast of an overclocker as well.


I dont even know what game I will play, I have an old monitor that I plan on changing as soon as I complete upgrading my tower.

I will get a GTX 760 as a new graphic card.

m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
July 24, 2013 12:41:54 AM

Funkdubius said:
bob hays said:
What ram do you have right now?


No ram right now, need help picking some if I stick with my i7-920


http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-khx16c9b1r...
This is a good set
Share
July 24, 2013 1:57:22 AM

Yes you can stick with your i7 as for now you are not sure what games you are going to play. So give it a try after all its an i7. Maybe?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 24, 2013 8:55:26 AM

they i7 should be able to do the job. Most of the time we recommend an i5 but that is to save money, in this case sticking with an i7 would be the cheaper option. The newest gen i5 WILL have a performance increase but will only be about 15% or so and you can get much better performance by using the money you saved on a video card. The 760's are new but i know that the 660's scale well in SLI.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 4:33:43 PM

bob hays said:
they i7 should be able to do the job. Most of the time we recommend an i5 but that is to save money, in this case sticking with an i7 would be the cheaper option. The newest gen i5 WILL have a performance increase but will only be about 15% or so and you can get much better performance by using the money you saved on a video card. The 760's are new but i know that the 660's scale well in SLI.


So instead of spending 300$ on a new processor and motherboard for 15% increase, maybe I should get 2 x gtx 760 in SLI, that would improve my fps much more in games right ?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 24, 2013 9:59:42 PM

Funkdubius said:
bob hays said:
they i7 should be able to do the job. Most of the time we recommend an i5 but that is to save money, in this case sticking with an i7 would be the cheaper option. The newest gen i5 WILL have a performance increase but will only be about 15% or so and you can get much better performance by using the money you saved on a video card. The 760's are new but i know that the 660's scale well in SLI.


So instead of spending 300$ on a new processor and motherboard for 15% increase, maybe I should get 2 x gtx 760 in SLI, that would improve my fps much more in games right ?


Yes exactly or you can buy a gtx 770 or 780 depending on your budget.
m
0
l
October 24, 2013 4:07:57 AM

Funkdubius said:
bob hays said:
What ram do you have right now?


No ram right now, need help picking some if I stick with my i7-920


if you want ram and you budget is tight, i always buy corsair, the vengeance series offers great performance and good value for money
m
0
l
!