Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

NVIDIA Display Settings Are Not Available?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 24, 2013 8:30:42 AM

Hi everyone,

I recently built a new computer here are the specs, http://pcpartpicker.com/user/fudungi/saved/21Gq

Anyway, whenever I connect my monitor to my pc, and then try to select the nvidia control panel settings, i always get the message "NVIDIA display settings are not available. You are currently not using a display attached to an NVIDIA gpu."

Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong? I plugged my monitor which is a vizio 640*480 HDMI capable monitor into my pc with the appropriate hdmi cord into the slots on the monitor and pc. But the problem still persists. Also if this is an hdmi monitor why can i not change the resolution at all?

I also can't play any video games on the computer, would this be because of the same reason?
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
July 24, 2013 8:40:42 AM

On new builds make sure you install the motherboard chipset driver then the gpu drivers. If you don't the gpu driver and card will be stuck in low res mode.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 8:56:35 AM

smorizio said:
On new builds make sure you install the motherboard chipset driver then the gpu drivers. If you don't the gpu driver and card will be stuck in low res mode.


Hmm this could be it, though i'm certain I did that first, either way, if this were the error, would i have to uninstall all drivers and then reinstall them in correct order or something?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
July 24, 2013 9:07:00 AM

NopE start on amd web page get the newest chipset drivers for the mb. Install them and reboot. Then go in under display and video in device manager and see if your gpu is named right. If it says standard VGA try running the newest nvidia drivers from nvidia. If the card not showing up check the motherboard bios rev may need to be updated to fix a bios bug with some nvidia gpu.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 9:29:24 AM

smorizio said:
NopE start on amd web page get the newest chipset drivers for the mb. Install them and reboot. Then go in under display and video in device manager and see if your gpu is named right. If it says standard VGA try running the newest nvidia drivers from nvidia. If the card not showing up check the motherboard bios rev may need to be updated to fix a bios bug with some nvidia gpu.


thanks for all the help, i downloaded the chipset driver now and i'm rebooting, i'll tell you how it goes when i come back!
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 10:31:40 AM

well i installed the chipset drivver, went to device manager and it did register my graphics card, though it had a warning sign on it and it threw a code 43, and that it was reporting problems
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
July 24, 2013 12:09:54 PM

Try Reinstalling te nvidia software if still no go make sure mb bios at rev f8a. That the newest bios. On the mb make sure the four r eight pin pci power plug is connected and that the gpu has all of the power plugs connected.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 1:05:52 PM

smorizio said:
Try Reinstalling te nvidia software if still no go make sure mb bios at rev f8a. That the newest bios. On the mb make sure the four r eight pin pci power plug is connected and that the gpu has all of the power plugs connected.


well, i reinstalled the drivers, got the newest bios, and doublechecked to make sure the 6 pin pci powerplug is plugged in(it is). Im also sure that the card is in the correct pci express slot, and that the power plugs are connected, but i still get error code 43!
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
July 24, 2013 1:19:10 PM

ReadIng some info on error code 43. Most causes...low power from the power supply or a bad gpu. Try a test power supply with more amp wattage on the 12v rail. If same 43 pops up exchange the gpu.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 2:15:58 PM

smorizio said:
ReadIng some info on error code 43. Most causes...low power from the power supply or a bad gpu. Try a test power supply with more amp wattage on the 12v rail. If same 43 pops up exchange the gpu.


hmm this could be the problem, i will try to adjust the amp wattage, then i'll check out my gpu in case if i smashed it into the motherboard or something


Edit: I just remembered that my gpu came with its own few cords that looked like they fit into the power slot on the pcie port for the card, could it be that i needed to use those cords instead of the ones provided by my psu?
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 2:49:38 PM

Well thank you for the help Smorizio, but apparently although I am a mere 2 days into making my computer, after some more googling, it is apparent that the card...is dead. It is apparently a hardware malfunction(though the rest of the computer parts are functioning nominally) and apparently this is because I updated drivers or something, i guess i'll try to use the warranty on the card. But other than that, how can i avoid this problem from (ever) happening again?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
July 25, 2013 4:42:55 AM

Doa parts happen to all builders and tech. In the old days vendors used to burn there parts in for a set number of hours to get the bad parts to fail out.
Today vendor expect a percentage of returns.
Share
!