Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How to make a game server for my internet cafe ?

Last response: in Components
Share
July 24, 2013 8:44:56 AM

Hello i have an internet cafe with 25 computers...All of them i3 processors and 1 gb screen cards and i use 1 gbit switch and cat 6 cable...In my cafe most people play free to play online games (League of Legends,Wolfteam,Metin2,Combat Arms,Point Blank e.t.c) ..And every week i have to update them 1 by 1 and it takes so much time..I use 8 mbit internet speed which is maximum speed in my town..

My question is i want to make 1 of my computers as a server pc..I want to download all online games to this server computer and other clients connect from lan shortcut and play from server.How can i do this?Which OS i have to use?Which setting i have to do?I want to do that clients only click shortcuts but they can not delete or change game files or add any keyloggers,viruses..They shall only play and when they click game if there is an update it will update.
Please answer me with simple English.Thank you so much.

Best solution

July 24, 2013 8:55:53 AM

You can install a game server but are you then planning on people only playing against each other in your cafe? Most games have a server option where you can then allow/disallow players from the Internet so up to you ....

The PCs will still need a game client that will require updating/patching.
You could download the patch to your server and then run the update on each game PC from there. That would save you downloading it multiple times. This of course depends on the game releasing downloadable patches.

Are you more comfortable with Windows or UNIX. Traditionally UNIX is a more efficient platform for running gaming servers but unless you know UNIX I would stay clear.
Share
July 24, 2013 9:01:54 AM


Get all of your client machines on a domain controlled by Active Directory - so install a Windows 2008 / 2012 server. Normally I'm a Linux guy myself, but you can use group policy to manage just about anything - access to command line, IE settings, apps that can be installed, staggered updates etc etc ect - with time and patience you can set up just about anything and secure it properly. SBS (Small Business Server) editions of Windows Server aren't too pricey and will make your systems maintenance so much easier. You can then use the server as a host for games themselves (tf2 dedicated server etc), or have a separate Ubuntu box for game services.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 24, 2013 9:25:00 AM

kyzarvs said:

Get all of your client machines on a domain controlled by Active Directory - so install a Windows 2008 / 2012 server. Normally I'm a Linux guy myself, but you can use group policy to manage just about anything - access to command line, IE settings, apps that can be installed, staggered updates etc etc ect - with time and patience you can set up just about anything and secure it properly. SBS (Small Business Server) editions of Windows Server aren't too pricey and will make your systems maintenance so much easier. You can then use the server as a host for games themselves (tf2 dedicated server etc), or have a separate Ubuntu box for game services.


I heard some cafes do it with windows 2008 server.But i dont know how they do settings.(I dont know about linux...In my client pcs i have original OS windows Xp and 500 gb hard disks i want to use them..There is something called Diskless i dont want to use it ).I tried with Windows 7 created a full shared flle as "Games" and from a client pc i tried to start the game (that game was installed in clients) but it did not start from the server..If i use windows 2008 server do you think i can do it?And i dont want to do a dedicated server..i only want to do a solution for updating online games.All the online games will be in the server pc shared folder..1 time in a week i update only server pc..Clients wont need update because they will have only shortcuts.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 9:30:26 AM

You could use XP -> Server 2008 (I do here in the office) as long as it is XP-Pro. XP-Home was hobbled with it's abilities to join a Domain.

You maybe should look at having a full-time server as Group policy will also address all of your security issues as well as updating.

There's far too much to go into on a forum, but you need to be Googling for Group Policy Tutorials - have a look and see if it works for you.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 10:03:04 AM

kyzarvs said:
You could use XP -> Server 2008 (I do here in the office) as long as it is XP-Pro. XP-Home was hobbled with it's abilities to join a Domain.

You maybe should look at having a full-time server as Group policy will also address all of your security issues as well as updating.

There's far too much to go into on a forum, but you need to be Googling for Group Policy Tutorials - have a look and see if it works for you.


Alright i will try it..but my client Windows OS are Home edition is it a problem?Or they will work?

m
0
l
July 24, 2013 1:36:16 PM

To be honest there is a lot involved in what you are asking

Setting up a Windows domain is not easy, especially if you have not done it before.
I would recommend concentrating on a single game and then setting up a server for that, there are plenty of tutorials on the web. Then install the game client on your PCs. Some games allow you to configure updates from the game server, not over the Internet.

Have a think on what you know best and start with that
m
0
l
July 25, 2013 5:38:26 AM

maharajah said:
kyzarvs said:
You could use XP -> Server 2008 (I do here in the office) as long as it is XP-Pro. XP-Home was hobbled with it's abilities to join a Domain.

You maybe should look at having a full-time server as Group policy will also address all of your security issues as well as updating.

There's far too much to go into on a forum, but you need to be Googling for Group Policy Tutorials - have a look and see if it works for you.


Alright i will try it..but my client Windows OS are Home edition is it a problem?Or they will work?



No - as I said Xp-Home is hobbled so it can't join a domain properly. There are workarounds, but well beyond the scope of a forum question.

If you are running XP Home and aren't too comfortable with learning about GP etc, +1 to hubbardt's answer - start with one basic game server and branch out from there. There are lots of issues you want to address, may as well pick that as a starting point :) 
m
0
l
August 11, 2013 2:02:01 PM

if your problem is patching game then i suggest you to use linux squid proxy.. when one of your game is updating then you just need to patch only 1 of your computer client.. it will cache the game update in your server PC.. then the others client will cache from your PC server with LAN speed..
m
0
l
September 15, 2013 1:56:32 AM

kyzarvs said:

Get all of your client machines on a domain controlled by Active Directory - so install a Windows 2008 / 2012 server. Normally I'm a Linux guy myself, but you can use group policy to manage just about anything - access to command line, IE settings, apps that can be installed, staggered updates etc etc ect - with time and patience you can set up just about anything and secure it properly. SBS (Small Business Server) editions of Windows Server aren't too pricey and will make your systems maintenance so much easier. You can then use the server as a host for games themselves (tf2 dedicated server etc), or have a separate Ubuntu box for game services.


what linux will be best for cyber cafe server???. sorry dont hv much knowledge on linux

m
0
l
September 16, 2013 5:32:45 AM

I use Debian all the time, but it's probably not an ideal starter Linux. As I'm already a Debian fan and you are a beginner, I would always suggest Ubuntu which is built on Debian and much easier to get to grips with.
m
0
l
!