Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

HD Radeon 7870 vs HD Radeon 7950 GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 24, 2013 10:56:37 AM

I have a comparison chart pulled up in Newegg - just for visual aid...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

I want to know why there is only a $10 difference between the two.. and also which one would be preferred for games like WoW. I feel that it's a slightly "higher-end" 7870 vs a slightly "lower-end" 7950, if you know what I mean. Benchmarks I've found don't really specify maker/chipset and places the 7950 much higher than the 7870, but looking at the specs in these particular comparisons, they don't seem to differ that much (aside from stream processors.)
So my question is, are the benchmarks still pretty accurate according to the general chipset (7870vs7950)?? Is there a major performance difference from 1280 strm proc vs 1792 strm proc? And is there a major/minor performance difference according to the stats/specs specified?

Thanks
July 24, 2013 11:09:09 AM

the 7950 is about 30% faster at stock then a stock 7870. Overclocked a good 7870 will get within 15%-10% of a stock 7950. Trick is the 7950 overclocked a little better then the 7870...

if the price difference is about $10 i'd say the best buy is the 7950.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 11:13:59 AM

ingtar33 said:
the 7950 is about 30% faster at stock then a stock 7870. Overclocked a good 7870 will get within 15%-10% of a stock 7950. Trick is the 7950 overclocked a little better then the 7870...

if the price difference is about $10 i'd say the best buy is the 7950.


I do not plan to OC very much at all. A sttic 30% increase in speed for $10 is well worth it. Thank you for the info!
m
0
l
Related resources
July 24, 2013 12:36:14 PM

byogamingpc said:
The Gigabyte HD 7950 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007581QHG/ref=as_li_q... is a good deal right now and the 7950 is definitely a better card. I've had 2 of them. =)


Thats's great news. I plan to buy later this year - early 2014, but I wanted to get info now for when I build later. Radeon's typically run cooler than Nvidia, would you suggest stock HS/fan? I plan to build with 4770k cpu.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 12:50:33 PM

For $10 difference!!

This isn't even a question, 7950. /

HS Fan, what on the GPU?, I'd never mess about with my GPU fans, they come the way they are for a reason and they are usually fine.

If you mean CPU HS Fan you can always just try it and see the temps, if you need an after market then get one, usually depends if your gonna OC.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 12:55:10 PM

7950 for sure. And by the way, overclocking a 7950 isn't all too scary. You can actually get quite a bit of boost without touching the voltage, so that's something to consider.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 1:16:59 PM

zalhera said:
7950 for sure. And by the way, overclocking a 7950 isn't all too scary. You can actually get quite a bit of boost without touching the voltage, so that's something to consider.


Yeah, that is definitely something to consider. I'm not one for heavy tinkering. I've made a few builds without having to do so.. but it's been 5 years since my last and the difference in part availability has shot up quite a bit. I knew to think the 7950 would be the recommended chipset - but when it's a $10 difference.. I have to wonder why that's the case.

m
0
l
July 24, 2013 1:19:28 PM

Probably a sale on Newegg in preparation for the 8xxx cards making their debut soon. Let's be honest here, the Nvidia side has already released their 7xx cards, AMD won't be too far behind to catch up. Newegg is trying to rid itself of stocks before next gen drops.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 1:19:58 PM

With a 7950 you won't have to OC, I have a 7850 and rarely OC it.

The $10 difference probably just means you found one on sale.

What's the make of the card, provide a link if poss but get the make at least.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 1:20:01 PM

Diamond-HP said:
For $10 difference!!

This isn't even a question, 7950. /

HS Fan, what on the GPU?, I'd never mess about with my GPU fans, they come the way they are for a reason and they are usually fine.

If you mean CPU HS Fan you can always just try it and see the temps, if you need an after market then get one, usually depends if your gonna OC.


I as referring to the CPU fan.. sorry. I haven't heard much on the 4770k overheating.. I was curious of the combo 4770k/7950 would warrant additional/aftermarket cooling. Some games are GPU heavy.. if they max out then the CPU is under more stress.. yada yada - was wondering if someone knew more about the heat issues (if any) were present under these conditions for gaming.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 1:22:53 PM

Diamond-HP said:
With a 7950 you won't have to OC, I have a 7850 and rarely OC it.

The $10 difference probably just means you found one on sale.

What's the make of the card, provide a link if poss but get the make at least.


The 7870 I was looking at was $10 less than this card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 1:25:38 PM

Nice CPU by the way, if your gonna OC then yes, if not meh depends how well the stock fan functions, costs you nothing to find out really does it.
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 1:27:43 PM

Stephen Cotton said:

The 7870 I was looking at was $10 less than this card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Mate it's a Sapphire ...... your good to go.

I have a Sapphire and its one of the best Radeon card's you can buy for reliability etc.


........... or for that price you could opt for a GTX 760?
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 1:28:08 PM

My only opinion here is, why buy the unlocked i7 if you aren't overclocking?
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 1:36:51 PM

zalhera said:
My only opinion here is, why buy the unlocked i7 if you aren't overclocking?


Well the difference in the locked/unlocked is $30. I considered the locked one, but I'm not against OC, either.. Even if it's minimal. So I guess I just want the option if I choose to OC later. :) 
m
0
l

Best solution

July 24, 2013 1:43:27 PM

I like the 7950 Sapphire, better hurry up and get it before I do lol.

Good luck with your choice, your going to have a great rig with that CPU/ GPU set up.
Share
July 24, 2013 1:48:52 PM

Diamond-HP said:
Stephen Cotton said:

The 7870 I was looking at was $10 less than this card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Mate it's a Sapphire ...... your good to go.

I have a Sapphire and its one of the best Radeon card's you can buy for reliability etc.


........... or for that price you could opt for a GTX 760?


I have never tried Sapphire. But The reviews continue to get better and are pretty much the best out there. That's why I went wth this link. I switched to an ASUS recently to replace a fried XFX I purchased a while ago. I used to harold XFX products but their line has seen better days. I figure t
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 1:57:21 PM

Diamond-HP said:
I like the 7950 Sapphire, better hurry up and get it before I do lol.

Good luck with your choice, your going to have a great rig with that CPU/ GPU set up.


Thanks!! Also, I apprecite the kind confirmation!
m
0
l
!