Will GT 420 graphic card work with z87 mobo

kumarsaurabhraj

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Hello! I am hooking up my haswell build with i7 4770 as the processor and asrock z87m extreme 4 as the mobo. The mobo supports pci express x16 3.0 port. I have a GT 420 graphics card (i do not play games) from my earlier rig but is works with pci express x16 2.0. Will my GT 420 graphics card work with the new asrock mobo?

Solution
Yep, it will work. It is a PCI-E 2.0 card and the PCI-E 3.0 bus/port is backward compatible. Don't forget, you may have to disable the Intel integrated graphics (built into the CPU) if you install the 420.
You also might want to research some reviews on the intel graphics: Haswell is quite a step forward from Ivy Bridge: The integrated graphics might actually work BETTER then that old 420.
Yep, it will work. It is a PCI-E 2.0 card and the PCI-E 3.0 bus/port is backward compatible. Don't forget, you may have to disable the Intel integrated graphics (built into the CPU) if you install the 420.
You also might want to research some reviews on the intel graphics: Haswell is quite a step forward from Ivy Bridge: The integrated graphics might actually work BETTER then that old 420.

Solution