I7 930 and P6X58D-E No longer overclocking?

obababoy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
I bought my setup back in 2010 and for a month or two I messed with overclocking and it was as easy as changing BCLK and lowering dram frequency. I was stable at 3.6ghz and 1866mhz on the ram. The last couple years I just reset the settings and now since trying again, nothing sticks.

I can do the XMP settings on ram for 2000mhz and change any other settings it seems and it either resets when I see first POST screen or the ram OC's to 1866mhz...

Whats the deal? bad CMOS battery? my clock and all other settings stick fine.

obababoy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks, I looked at that forum before, but I had no luck. I can't seem to get it to even 3ghz. Nothing sticks when I change CPU speed. The reason I went back down to stock speeds is I was having heat issues. I took off my heatsink and put on some artic silver and temp issues were gone after that.

Only changes have been that I installed eist(recently uninstalled) and I have windows 8.

I dont think W8 is doing anything bad because the settings don't even show up after I hit F10 in the bios.

Is my board or CPU wearing out?

MoBo maybe. It can be CPU too. hard to tell.
I have not make IHS remove to 1366 CPU so look that. I did only this to my old cpu.
http://metku.net/?path=mods/lapping/index_eng
My 960 did go 4.8GHz after lapping it.
But new ones are out so maybe better get new cpu and mobo.
3770k or 4770k are really good now. Or maybe intel xeon 1230V2 to 1155 build if you do not want to overclock any more :) That is like i7 for price i5 no iGPU and it is faster than intel 3820 2011 cpu. so it is really fast.
And you do not need expensive OC mobo. or cpu cooler. Much cooler cpu than 3570k and it do have HT and 8 treads.
Just like the 3770 (only 100MHz slower clock speed)

obababoy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
So I removed the CMOS battery and reset the BIOS and now I am able to OC again. I hit 4.0 no problem although it is running hot on the stock cooler.

52c idle and on intel burn test it hits 84c I replaced thermal paste recently as well which helped a bit before this.

Any suggestions or is that the capacity of stock cooler?

4ghz w/ hyperthreading ON:

Ai Overclock Tuner.....................[XMP]
CPU Ratio Setting......................[21.0]
Intel(r) SpeedStep(tm) Tech............[Disabled]
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode...........[Enabled]
BCLK Frequency.........................[191]
PCIE Frequency.........................[100]
DRAM Frequency.........................[DDR3-1531MHz]
UCLK Frequency.........................[3063MHz]
QPI Link Data Rate.....................[Auto]

CPU Voltage Control....................[Manual]
CPU Voltage............................[1.23125]