Solved

Overclocking CPU changed ram speeds (i5-750)

Hey everyone!

Recently I overclocked my i5 750 from its stock 2.67GHz to 3.5GHz. I know I'm late and it's sort of an old cpu but I finally decided to do it and I got a stable OC of 3.5GHz with these settings:
BCLK: 166
Multiplier: x21.0
vcore: 1.2v
DRAM Voltage: 1.5v (stock speed for my 8GB G Skill 1600MHz)
Ram timings are 9-9-9-24
everything else was left alone.

Anyways, my issue is that I noticed in CPU Z that my ram frequency changed from 800MHz (1600MHz) to 832.8MHz (1665.6) and I'm not quite sure why. Any help would be great.

Other info:
ASUS P7P55D Pro Mobo
ASUS GTX 660 DC2
8GB GSkill DDR3 1600MHz
500w PSU
Hyper 212 evo cooler
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about overclocking cpu changed ram speeds 750
  1. Best answer
    RAM Speed = BCLK x Memory Multiplier
    CPU Speed = BCLK x CPU Clock Ratio

    Because your BCLK is 166 and your memory multiplier is set at 10, 166x10 = 1660, which is very close to 1665. So 1665.6 is actually pretty close to what your memory should be running at.
  2. Patosai said:
    RAM Speed = BCLK x Memory Multiplier
    CPU Speed = BCLK x CPU Clock Ratio

    Because your BCLK is 166 and your memory multiplier is set at 10, 166x10 = 1660, which is very close to 1665. So 1665.6 is actually pretty close to what your memory should be running at.


    Thanks for the quick reply! Should I just leave the RAM speed as it is? I passed 8hrs of prime 95 and everything seems to be running stable. Or should I downclock my ram?
  3. iampein said:
    Patosai said:
    RAM Speed = BCLK x Memory Multiplier
    CPU Speed = BCLK x CPU Clock Ratio

    Because your BCLK is 166 and your memory multiplier is set at 10, 166x10 = 1660, which is very close to 1665. So 1665.6 is actually pretty close to what your memory should be running at.


    Thanks for the quick reply! Should I just leave the RAM speed as it is? I passed 8hrs of prime 95 and everything seems to be running stable. Or should I downclock my ram?


    If its stable leave it as it is, it will be fine
  4. bumnut53 said:
    iampein said:
    Patosai said:
    RAM Speed = BCLK x Memory Multiplier
    CPU Speed = BCLK x CPU Clock Ratio

    Because your BCLK is 166 and your memory multiplier is set at 10, 166x10 = 1660, which is very close to 1665. So 1665.6 is actually pretty close to what your memory should be running at.


    Thanks for the quick reply! Should I just leave the RAM speed as it is? I passed 8hrs of prime 95 and everything seems to be running stable. Or should I downclock my ram?


    If its stable leave it as it is, it will be fine



    Alright thanks so much! One more thing: my temps on a hyper 212 on idle is 29-34C and on full load in prime95 is anywhere from 55-60C. Are these temps alright?
  5. That's fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking RAM CPUs Intel i5