FX 8350 or i5 4670 on GTX 770 next gen?

Solution
there's no definite answer, but here's a few things to consider:

Crysis 3's review on Toms shows that the 8350 performs much closer to intel performance levels than in other games, meaning it is optimized for many threads. Therefore, at least 1 AAA game is out there already where you could go for the 8350 and not be disappointed. Other games, though, will perform better on the intel 4670.

Most next gen console games could only start being developed on that hardware this year (since the specs were released). Given the lead time on a game, you probably won't see a substantial benefit on the AMD (and even then, considering crysis 3, "benefit" means equal performance) for another 2 years or more. By then, we'll be seeing a whole new...
8 cores only perform better in fixed workloads like rendering and video encoding, and even then, the 8 "cores" on the FX cpu, share 4 FPU's, so any FPU heavy tasks will be slower due to the generally lower performance per-core and per-clock compared to the intel. The intel cpu's are more versatile and less load dependent to get good performance out of them with better FPU's and process more IPC. It is true that future games will probably take better advantage of AMD's 8 core cpu's, but with the varying workload in games, the intel cpu will still perform better more often.

beshonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
there's no definite answer, but here's a few things to consider:

Crysis 3's review on Toms shows that the 8350 performs much closer to intel performance levels than in other games, meaning it is optimized for many threads. Therefore, at least 1 AAA game is out there already where you could go for the 8350 and not be disappointed. Other games, though, will perform better on the intel 4670.

Most next gen console games could only start being developed on that hardware this year (since the specs were released). Given the lead time on a game, you probably won't see a substantial benefit on the AMD (and even then, considering crysis 3, "benefit" means equal performance) for another 2 years or more. By then, we'll be seeing a whole new generation of hardware

Higher thread count will begin to matter much more in the next couple years, but so will video ram. If you already have a gtx 770 2gb, when you start seeing benefit from the higher thread count on the AMD you will probably need to upgrade your graphics card to a higher ram card.

If your CPU is a quad core already, i'd stick with that until we see what AMD and intel have to offer after next year. I am willing to bet we're on the cusp of seeing higher core/thread count within the next 2 years, as well as higher video ram graphics cards. I am currently running an I7 950 and a gtx 560 TI, and i'm holding out on that hardware until at least AMD and Intel's next release (even though haswell just came out).

If you insist on upgrading today, there should be no qualms about buying a 4670. It'll last at least 2 years with solid performance. If you have the extra dough, get a 4770 and you'll know you're future proofed with 8 threads. You could also wait a bit longer for AMDs next release, which will probably perform much better than this generation and have 8 cores in that price range.

Solution

a note on this, most reviewers tested the "welcome to the jungle" level for C3 benchmarks, however another reviewer also tested other levels and that put the i5 ahead by a good margin.
url

f2-3.jpg

f1-3.jpg