FX 8350 vs. 4670 i5 for ultimate future lasting?

VeTeRen ThoR

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
im tired of these to @$&)^! bloody CPU's and i can not make up my mind...which of them will last the longest into the future? i will use also a great fan of 23 euro's... i wont overclock in the next two years maybe...so which will last the longest with the 770 on gaming? help me! i am only going for gaming!

morgilroka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
If we are talking future proofing, then the amd wins hands down. Although im not a fan of AMD, But that amd cpu has 8 cores while the intel has 4. Future generation games are going to start utilizing all the cores it can. Both can of course be overclocked, but the 4670 doesn't OC as good as the 4570k.

Either way, your going to need a cpu cooler, the amd for sure as their chips seem to run a bit warmer than intel's.
The CM 212EVO will do the job and only run you for about another 30-35$ depending where you live!
Hope this helps

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

There's nothing saying gaming will start utilizing that much more cores. Yea the consoles are more than 4 cores and that'll cause game developers to start utilizing more cores, BUT what a console does on all of its cores a modern day i5 can do on its 4 so much easier. There is a huge difference in computing power between the two that people fail to recognize.

morgilroka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

BF3 for example, utilizes all available cores. Down the road games will be more CPU dependant than they are now, with most games only really using 2cores anyways. Nothing to be concerned about, this won't be introduced in all games for a while.
Source: Simple google search.

the i5's cores are more powerful, and the FX "8 core" cpu is a 4 module with only 4 fpu's, which is more important for games. Its more like a 4 core with hyper threading for FPU intensive tasks. there is still no game out to date that runs better on the FX 8 core cpu's than an i5 ivy bridge or haswell of similar price. There are a couple benchmarks that show otherwise, but a couple benchmarks is not convincing in the grand scheme of things. As others have said the new consoles use very weak 8 core cpu's, a dual core i3 would have comparable cpu power. The consoles have the advantage where devs will likely use the GPU for some compute tasks to make up for the lack of cpu power, and the OS on the consoles will have more direct ecces to this functionality than a windows pc.

VeTeRen ThoR

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
I did a lot of research now and finally found a few great things out. The AMD will definitely last longer in the future but it runs a lot hotter. Well the i5 runs cooler and has 4 stronger cores then the 8 cores of AMD... i also saw results that most games run better on the i5 but newer games that are able to use more then 4 cores work better with the FX 8350.. and even most games run better on the i5 the AMD still gets a great amount of FPS out there! so ill suggest myself to get the AMD.

metalmachinist

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Id invest more towards the i7 for future proofing. Keyword: hyperthreading. I feel future titles will start utilizing the i7's 8 logical cores alot more efficiantly than any amd 8 core. I have no proof for my opinion, but just basic gaming instinct. Anyone feel free to back me up, because i would love to learn more.

Darkresurrection

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

AMD is the king, don't listen to these intel fanboys: watch this instead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE4H5-kbOls ....oh no fx 8350 is outdated? shut up dude, see how the out-dated beats intel's ass in bf3, call of duty black ops2, bf4, crysis 3...see fx 8350> i5 4670k in bf4 http://www.bf4blog.com/battlefield-4-retail-gpu-cpu-benchmarks/ in multiplayer fx 6350 outperforms i7-4770k....now you can continue with old single threaded benchmarks, while i enjoy my bf4 ultra settings :lol:

Darkresurrection

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
ABOUT 100% CORE USAGE CRAP... fx 8350 is equal to i5 4670k on the 6th core, that's why in bf4 they are so close, because it was optimized for 6 cores, if 7th and 8th cores started working properly it is the same crysis 3 example where fx 8350 nukes i7 3770k....

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
@Darkresurrection the link you posted is not a reliable source by any means. Every bench I have seen shows the i5 and 8350 being neck and neck. Thing is though, the i5 is still hands down better for 90% of games out there.

Also in no world will the FX6350 out perform the i7 4770k. My 3570k beats the FX6000 series in every program including multithreaded rendering applications.

And please don't select a best answer just because he agrees with your thinking. That is pure ignorance.

Bouncedk did put it best by saying "your guess is as good as mine" Truth is we don't know. We will have to wait until at least summer time to be able to tell.

TRENDING THREADS