Solved

Computer Stuck Loading Operating System

I have a desktop running Windows Vista 32 bit, and it was working fine. I went away for a month, came back, and started the computer no problem. I shut down the computer and installed 3 updates. When they were done, I turned the computer back on and it gets stuck on the loading screen to load Vista. I left it for a few hours and tried it again, but the same problem prevents the computer from starting. Any help would be great.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer stuck loading operating system
  1. Try booting to safe mode and restoring to a time before you did the updates. Then check back.
  2. clutchc said:
    Try booting to safe mode and restoring to a time before you did the updates. Then check back.


    I tried booting it in safe mode but it got stuck on aswrvrt.sys. After a search i found a possible answer at this link: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=120999.0

    I will try out the steps given even though it's for windows 7. Hopefully it works.
  3. it didn't work. The computer couldn't recognize it because it was for 7 probably. any other solutions?
  4. Have you ever changed the CMOS battery?
  5. clutchc said:
    Have you ever changed the CMOS battery?


    I was just about to do that. Its a old ish computer from 2005 to 2007 so that could be the reason.
  6. After taking out the battery and letting it sit for some time, i put everything back in and got 5 long beeps and around 12 short beeps. Before when i was fixing the computer i had the same code but i couldn't figure out what it was. I reseated everything and then it worked so I'm gonna try that.
  7. Your MB manual may tell you the beep codes and what they represent. Do you know what motherboard is in your system?
    (I never heard 17 beep for a beep code though!) Are you still using the old battery?
  8. clutchc said:
    Your MB manual may tell you the beep codes and what they represent. Do you know what motherboard is in your system?
    (I never heard 17 beep for a beep code though!) Are you still using the old battery?


    I dont have the manual but the motherboard is an Intel Schroeder Town G33 chipset. I'm about to get a new battery so it may be that.
  9. I put in the new battery and the beeping stopped so i guess lots of beeps means no power. When i start it up now however it doesn't get past the screen where it says Gateway and Intel. I tried getting into BIOS but nothing happens, although after a few tries it starts beeping.
  10. So basically, everything is as it was. Still can't get past the POST screen. And no manual makes it rough to troubleshoot beep codes. I'm beginning to suspect that the power supply has failed. At least one of the rails (circuits). Unfortunately, it will be hard to tell for sure. Replacing it is the only way to know. Do you know the make/model of the PSU?
  11. clutchc said:
    So basically, everything is as it was. Still can't get past the POST screen. And no manual makes it rough to troubleshoot beep codes. I'm beginning to suspect that the power supply has failed. At least one of the rails (circuits). Unfortunately, it will be hard to tell for sure. Replacing it is the only way to know. Do you know the make/model of the PSU?


    The PSU is a BFG Tech GS-650 (i think thats the model, its the biggest font on the sticker) 650 watt, but all the fans still spin. I asked someone i know and he said the operating system might have crashed, or the hard drive has failed. I took out the hard drive and was able to get into BIOS so i think the hard drive is shot. Besides testing it in another computer, and ideas on how to test it? and it won't harm the other computer right? i'm pretty sure that person would be mad if i broke their computer.
  12. Best answer
    No, you can put it in a 2nd machine as the boot drive. If it fails in the same way, then you'll know. Won't hurt the other PC as long as his is disconnected.
  13. clutchc said:
    No, you can put it in a 2nd machine as the boot drive. If it fails in the same way, then you'll know. Won't hurt the other PC as long as his is disconnected.


    alright i'll try that. Thank you for the help
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Vista Desktops Computers