Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

DDR2 Ram Upgrade?

Last response: in Memory
Share
July 25, 2013 11:18:08 PM

I've got 4gb of Corsair DDR2 ram in duel channel and I was thinking of adding another 4gb but I see that DDR2 ram is waay more expensive than DDR3... I know its older and i've been meaning to upgrade but then I would have to upgrade my mobo too (doesn't support ddr2). So what should I do? Buy the ram or upgrade the mobo? Any good mobos that would work with the Core 2 Quad Q9300?

More about : ddr2 ram upgrade

July 26, 2013 12:01:54 AM

Upgrade the mobo does not make really sense.
Try to get the RAM modules from ebay, so...not new ones..
m
0
l
July 26, 2013 12:13:42 AM

Yeah that seems to be my best bet, thanks :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 174 } Memory
July 26, 2013 10:11:53 AM

abhay6547 said:
I've got 4gb of Corsair DDR2 ram in duel channel and I was thinking of adding another 4gb but I see that DDR2 ram is waay more expensive than DDR3... I know its older and i've been meaning to upgrade but then I would have to upgrade my mobo too (doesn't support ddr2). So what should I do? Buy the ram or upgrade the mobo? Any good mobos that would work with the Core 2 Quad Q9300?

Lemme know the motherboard model so that I can recommend you the correct memory or else try Memorystock or crucial.
m
0
l
July 26, 2013 8:29:46 PM

Legohouse said:
abhay6547 said:
I've got 4gb of Corsair DDR2 ram in duel channel and I was thinking of adding another 4gb but I see that DDR2 ram is waay more expensive than DDR3... I know its older and i've been meaning to upgrade but then I would have to upgrade my mobo too (doesn't support ddr2). So what should I do? Buy the ram or upgrade the mobo? Any good mobos that would work with the Core 2 Quad Q9300?

Lemme know the motherboard model so that I can recommend you the correct memory or else try Memorystock or crucial.


Its an Abit IP35 Pro
m
0
l
July 26, 2013 9:45:51 PM

Does your motherboard support DDR2 or not? You're saying you're using DDR2 but then you say your mobo can't handle DDR2. Also, buying DDR2 RAM is not an upgrade, it's a downgrade.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 174 } Memory
July 27, 2013 8:11:33 AM

IwinFTW said:
Does your motherboard support DDR2 or not? You're saying you're using DDR2 but then you say your mobo can't handle DDR2. Also, buying DDR2 RAM is not an upgrade, it's a downgrade.

Your motherboard supports upto 8GB of memory. It has 4 slots and max per slot is 2GB. The following is the link for compatible memory - Abit IP35 Pro.

Your motherboard supports upto 8GB of memory which should handle almost all the software's pretty well except the high memory intensive ones. So I think upgrading this motherboard's memory will enable you to work for another year or two but depends. It is pretty useless to upgrade a motherboard (maybe higher end) just to support the current CPU. Even though you may get the best upgrades for your motherboard but your CPU still be your bottleneck. So I'd say go for a complete overhaul.. IMO, go for memory upgrade for now and when you 've the right budget get the latest mobo n CPU.

Good luck!!
Share
July 28, 2013 1:28:25 AM

IwinFTW said:
Does your motherboard support DDR2 or not? You're saying you're using DDR2 but then you say your mobo can't handle DDR2. Also, buying DDR2 RAM is not an upgrade, it's a downgrade.


Sorry, it was a typo, i meant to say that it doesnt support ddr3
m
0
l
July 28, 2013 1:29:20 AM

Legohouse said:
IwinFTW said:
Does your motherboard support DDR2 or not? You're saying you're using DDR2 but then you say your mobo can't handle DDR2. Also, buying DDR2 RAM is not an upgrade, it's a downgrade.

Your motherboard supports upto 8GB of memory. It has 4 slots and max per slot is 2GB. The following is the link for compatible memory - Abit IP35 Pro.

Your motherboard supports upto 8GB of memory which should handle almost all the software's pretty well except the high memory intensive ones. So I think upgrading this motherboard's memory will enable you to work for another year or two but depends. It is pretty useless to upgrade a motherboard (maybe higher end) just to support the current CPU. Even though you may get the best upgrades for your motherboard but your CPU still be your bottleneck. So I'd say go for a complete overhaul.. IMO, go for memory upgrade for now and when you 've the right budget get the latest mobo n CPU.

Good luck!!


Awesome, thanks for helping :) 
m
0
l
!